Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

5 hours ago, slaytonf said:

It occurred to me that what was happening might have been a buffering problem, if that is something that still happens.  

Thanks for the input, y'all.

Since changing channels and coming back fixed that, that tells me that it was either your Directv DVR playing back temporarily stored content from the hard drive, or possibly the "rewind" feature - which alternately uses your Internet router (if connected) instead of satellite to deliver content.  Either of these happens if you use the rewind button for the DVR (even if a month ago) with live content.  In either case it is cancelled and returned to real-time satellite by changing channels and coming back as you did. 

They should have better indications for this, IMO, but rather chose to make it a "seamless experience".

In my experience, I haven't had any caching issues with Directv when it is truly live from satellite.  I also haven't had any line-of-sight issues with trees, and not including rain/snow fade.  This is 100% true for a second receiver I have which is only a receiver, no DVR - like the restaurants and bars are only allowed to use.  It is just a more simple piece of gear. 

I maintain that satellite remains crystal clear, whether there is only one user or everyone who lives in its ray path is tuned in at the same time.  This is different from cable, where each person tuned in is viewing it from a unique connection.  Cable is a much more complicated system, with local nodes that often can't meet their bandwidth demands - hence the "caching" issues.

• Thanks 1
On 10/3/2021 at 7:10 PM, sewhite2000 said:

I'm the only Neanderthal on here who still has cable TV, but I'm watching on Spectrum cable and am not having any issues. 

If you have cable, you're a Neanderthal?

2 hours ago, laffite said:

If you have cable, you're a Neanderthal?

Cable just is susceptible to whatever issues the local infrastructure might be having on any given day.  That includes many different reasons for "glitches" and "audio sync" problems.  Some areas will be less affected than others, usually depending on if they can support the required demand of their local node.

With satellite you have all the "local infrastructure" right on top of your house.  There is no difference in supporting required demand if one person is watching it, or if everyone in the country is.  Potential downsides: heavy rain, heavy snow - can cause "rain fade", a temporary condition.  Worst case scenario, gently knock the snow off the dish with a broomstick or an extension pole, if within reach from a window (like mine).  Some also install "heater tape" on the rear of the dish to melt the snow if it builds up (which isn't that often for me).  Satellite dishes have a non-stick surface to begin with, so the snow usually just slides right off on its own.

In addition to that, if you're a homeowner, trees can grow into line of sight for your dish. I have  a beautiful maple in my side yard, and in the 25 years since we bought our house, the tree grew so tall, the dish had to be moved to another position on our roof. It was odd, once the top of the tree started getting close to line of sight for the dish. When the wind blew, the picture on the TV would break up. 😃

10 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Just trying to be funny, but feels like it sometimes with all the cord-cutters out there.

Satellite may not have a cord, but financially it is not considered "cord cutting" (you pay for most of the same crap that you do with Cable), and this was originally a question about Directv.

Financially because it has a cost similar to cable? I guess I hadn't thought much about satellite, since I've never had it, although I briefly rented a room in a house of a friend and his wife who had satellite and EVERY time there was a single drop of rain from the sky, their TV would be COMPLETELY unavailable. This was, ummm, I don't know, like 2007 pr 2008. Maybe satellite has gotten much more reliable since then. I don't know. I've never looked into it since I've been financially stable enough to live on my own again. I would assume the millennials consider satellite as antiquated as cable.

1 minute ago, sewhite2000 said:

Financially because it has a cost similar to cable? I guess I hadn't thought much about satellite, since I've never had it, although I briefly rented a room in a house of a friend and his wife who had satellite and EVERY time there was a single drop of rain from the sky, their TV would be COMPLETELY unavailable. This was, ummm, I don't know, like 2007 pr 2008. Maybe satellite has gotten much more reliable since then. I don't know. I've never looked into it since I've been financially stable enough to live on my own again. I would assume the millennails consider satellite as antiquated as cble.

It is similar to cable.  Not exact, the rates on each fluctuate, but once you get past the first 1 or 2 year promo pack, or whatever it is, then it is similar.  They are in competition with each other, so it isn't going to be that far off in the long run.

"Millennials" will only consider either of those "antiquated" if their cell phones tell them so.

• Haha 1

Ha ha, yeah, I am recently past the first year since renewal of my cable deal which temporarily considered me a "new customer", and I noticed the bill I paid yesterday was suddenly $100 more than I'm used to. Certainly I haven't received any amazing new upgrdes in my serv8ce.  I must not be a "new customer" anymore".

BTW whoever named that "cord-cutting" was being a bit disingenuous.  All of that relies on the public Internet, and we know most residential Internet is through Cable or DSL.  What they really meant was "cost-cutting", but there is just no good way to polish that t urd.

45 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Ha ha, yeah, I am recently past the first year since renewal of my cable deal which temporarily considered me a "new customer", and I noticed the bill I paid yesterday was suddenly $100 more than I'm used to. Certainly I haven't received any amazing new upgrdes in my serv8ce.  I must not be a "new customer" anymore".

But you are now a 'legacy' customer.  You can call and ask for a discount.  You say you will have to look for another provider to find something more affordable.  And who knows, maybe you will get a discount, or maybe you will find another provider.

1 hour ago, slaytonf said:

But you are now a 'legacy' customer.  You can call and ask for a discount.  You say you will have to look for another provider to find something more affordable.  And who knows, maybe you will get a discount, or maybe you will find another provider.

As always, you will know your ship is properly berthed when you are on the phone with them and you hear the words "Retention Department".  😁

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Movie Collector OH said:

As always, you will know your ship is properly berthed when you are on the phone with them and you hear the words "Retention Department".  😁

I have kept my TV/Internet bill at a steady level, even with increases in service, for a long time.  It requires once a year a tedious phone call or two to get a continuance of my rate.

• Like 1