Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Fall Foliage Film Festival

It’s fall, technically, on the calendar, but here in LA it’s 98 degrees and the leaves don’t change til Christmas. So help me get my fall foliage fix by posting about cinematic autumn leaves!

I’ll start with one of my Halloween staples — Hitchcock’s comedy TROUBLE WITH HARRY. I love everything about this movie, especially the trees! The movie’s New England setting makes me wish I could whisk away to Vermont right now.

reg_1024x1024.jpg?v=1546744206

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSaXJevVA_80SsrLty9K5a

kqNOguuCc9fQuWrzv3LE6L1I4J1.jpg?auto=com

ti118181.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTxKqA_EVlAFKbhERHu9cP

H002.jpg

Now help me build the Fall Leaves Film Library (the FLFL) for the Fall Foliage Film Festival (FFFF)!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • LonesomePolecat changed the title to The Fall Foliage Film Festival

TTwH’s autumn hues are beautiful.

Omitting Halloween & Thanksgiving films, some other color movies with fall scenery are The Four SeasonsFly Away Home, When Harry Met Sally..., and, I think, Those Calloways (be aware hunting is a plot line). Is there some in Leave Her to Heaven?

Those are the ones I thought of first.

• Thanks 1

Well, as someone whose location is New Hampshire;  yep, Lydecker's Peyton Place is pretty close enough!  Why, it actually hits the nail on the head! 

Now strangely, I always have liked the little graveyard set between Mortimer's and Elaine's houses in "Arsenic and Old Lace."  There's really not much to it, and it's in black and white to boot; but what little there is is full of Halloweenish atmosphere and foreboding.  Just like Halloween is supposed to be when you're a kid.

But I do think "The Trouble with Harry" tops them all for scenery -- absolutely my favorite time of year up here.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, LonesomePolecat said:

It’s fall, technically, on the calendar, but here in LA it’s 98 degrees and the leaves don’t change til Christmas. So help me get my fall foliage fix by posting about cinematic autumn leaves!

I’ll start with one of my Halloween staples — Hitchcock’s comedy TROUBLE WITH HARRY. I love everything about this movie, especially the trees! The movie’s New England setting makes me wish I could whisk away to Vermont right now.

reg_1024x1024.jpg?v=1546744206

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSaXJevVA_80SsrLty9K5a

kqNOguuCc9fQuWrzv3LE6L1I4J1.jpg?auto=com

ti118181.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTxKqA_EVlAFKbhERHu9cP

H002.jpg

Now help me build the Fall Leaves Film Library (the FLFL) for the Fall Foliage Film Festival (FFFF)!

Harry's Trouble(s) is Definitely a Go2 Fall comystery for me.

I Can think of maybe two films offhand, where the cinematography of said film "goes" thru Seasons: A Very Long Engagement, and Sunset Song.

Though Sunset Song Definitely is (Much) More Autumnal in Hue. Many Bond Films as well; Possess what i will call Seasonal Cinematography as well imo. Maybe Additionally Fiddler On the Roof and Seven Brides For Seven Brothers in addition.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Calamity said:

TTwH’s autumn hues are beautiful.

Omitting Halloween & Thanksgiving films, some other color movies with fall scenery are The Four SeasonsFly Away Home, When Harry Met Sally..., and, I think, Those Calloways (be aware hunting is a plot line). Is there some in Leave Her to Heaven?

Just illustrating your wonderful examples:

THE FOUR SEASONS

(never heard of this one, but I love Carol Burnett and Alan Alda, so I'll have to check it out!)

MV5BNDJmYWJiMDYtYTk5Yy00ZTEzLWExOGQtMGZm

MV5BMWQzNDQzNTItOGQwNi00ZDE3LWFmMmItYzRh

FLY AWAY HOME

51YdYe796WL._SY445_.jpg

FlyAwayHome_FallFlight.png

WHEN HARRY MET SALLY 

0*jPpNTL-tIYwcEKaU.jpg

when-harry-met-sally.png

whenharrymetsally.jpg?w=350&h=200&crop=1

THOSE CALLOWAYS

(forgot this one had such gorgeous fall foliage!)

51Sh28aE9ML._SY445_.jpg

tumblr_mbyi4td4b01qiceiuo1_1280.jpg?w=59

5eccf078005dc483d11a661b2bb3d586.jpg

be48110e4e1dc73c9bfd1f446575af70.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, brianNH said:

Well, as someone whose location is New Hampshire;  yep, Lydecker's Peyton Place is pretty close enough!  Why, it actually hits the nail on the head! 

Now strangely, I always have liked the little graveyard set between Mortimer's and Elaine's houses in "Arsenic and Old Lace."  There's really not much to it, and it's in black and white to boot; but what little there is is full of Halloweenish atmosphere and foreboding.  Just like Halloween is supposed to be when you're a kid.

But I do think "The Trouble with Harry" tops them all for scenery -- absolutely my favorite time of year up here.

I would love some shots of the fall foliage outside your window! :)

Here's that awesome set from ARSENIC AND OLD LACE -- I love the miniatures in the background with moving lights, a running train, steam chimney, etc. This is the Halloween movie that we always save for Halloween night because we love it so much.

hqdefault.jpg

Here's a cast picture they took in that set:

image23.jpeg

• Like 8

Here are some movies with appropriate titles for the FALL FOLIAGE FILM FESTIVAL:

AUTUMN IN NEW YORK

95b2d83d88b18065ba3cbee4823fc9fa.jpg

AUTUMN LEAVES

posterautumnhalf2.jpg

Bergman's AUTUMN SONATA

MV5BNGIyMWRlYTctMWNlMi00ZGIzLThjOTgtZjQz

MV5BZGQ5ZGVkNjAtNmQ2Yi00NmI3LWJmMTktYjNm

AUTUMN (1916)

MV5BZWU4YTQ3NTItMDcxZi00MWQxLTg1ZGQtMWMz

CHEYENNE AUTUMN

71-TLbYuQtL._AC_SX522_.jpg

THE WINDS OF AUTUMN

MV5BMTY1Njc4MzQzNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjIw

AUTUMN CROCUS

fd5e5d7430.jpg.webp

• Like 1

Great photos

(Oh, and I meant to mention Dead Poets Society, too. And, I think, The Iron Giant, if animation counts.)

I do love holiday - in this case, Halloween & Thanksgiving - films, as well! Thanks for the thread.

• Like 2

Lonesomepolecat:

Thanks for those great pictures from "Arsenic and Old Lace."  I especially like the cast photo with everyone amongst the gravestones!  And I, too, enjoy watching the miniatures that are made to fill in the backgrounds in movies.

Thanks,

Brian

• Like 1

Another animated movie for the FFFF is a Halloween Night staple — Disney’s LEGEND OF SLEEPY HOLLOW cartoon that we just call “Ichabod Crane”, which is half of the feature film THE ADVENTURES OF ICHABOD AND MR TOAD

220px-Ichabodposter.jpg

2f323b619adc592b6336d62ebba0fef2--art-diimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcRi8O_YLuJ04uj1JrGzdQG

06768d92c4d516518fc92f757c47cb7d.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ray Bradbury's spooky salute to early-1900's Illinois Octobers, Something Wicked This Way Comes (1983), is now coming to Blu-ray, as Disney Movie Club exclusive.

something-wicked-2.jpg

And while it's hard to top "The Four Seasons", did everyone just avoid mentioning On Golden Pond (1981) for being more summer than fall?

On-Golden-Pond-Norman-Ethel-Porch.png

• Like 1

Just thought I'd mention:  When I'm in the mood for 'Autumn Vibes' I don't really watch a particular movie because I go to YouTube and look up 'ambiences'.  All kinds of folks upload various kinds of ambiences for every season, weather pattern, et cetera. 

There's so many different kind of ambiences uploaded to YouTube no one person can keep track of them all . . . but there's a lot of them I enjoy loading up that run anywhere from 1 hour to 10 hours.  

If you head for YT and type in any of the short-ish descriptions below you will then see a number of options to select for your viewing and listening enjoyment.  →  These ambiences have different sound effects so they're not 'cookie cutter' with the same background effects.  There's bunches to pick from depending on your mood.   🍂🍂

PUMPKIN FESTIVAL FALL AMBIENCE

AUTUMN IN WOODSTOCK VERMONT  -- SLEEPY HOLLOW FARM AMBIENCE

PUMPKIN PATCH AMBIENCE (this one runs 1 hour).

COZY PUMPKIN PATCH AMBIENCE

SPOOKY PUMPKIN PATCH AMBIENCE

AUTUMN FARM AMBIENCE

WINDY NIGHT IN THE PUMPKIN PATCH Fall Ambience

HALLOWEEN GRAVEYARD - SPOOKY PUMPKIN PATCH Ambience

PUMPKIN CARVER'S WORKSHOP Ambience

GRAVEYARD KEEPER'S HOUSE HALLOWEEN AMBIENCE

COZY FALL PORCH AMBIENCE

SCARY HALLOWEEN PUMPKIN PATCH

PUMPKIN VILLAGE TINY WORLDS AMBIENCE

COUNTRYSIDE FARM AMBIENCE

and the list goes on . . . I dig Autumn.   🍁🍁

• Thanks 2
7 hours ago, Lizbeth4 said:

I know it's not a classic, but "You've Got Mail" gives me strong autumn vibes 🙂

Great example! "Don't you just love New York in the fall?"

55016-youve-got-mail.jpg?fm=jpg&fl=progr

Wanted to add the whole harvest festival montage to the tune of "Rockin' Robin"

10 hours ago, EricJ said:

Ray Bradbury's spooky salute to early-1900's Illinois Octobers, Something Wicked This Way Comes (1983), is now coming to Blu-ray, as Disney Movie Club exclusive.

something-wicked-2.jpg

Someday I'll have to see this now that I know it's a fall movie! :)

• Like 1

Some more animated fall foliage, starting with The Best Of The Best: FANTASIA. Watch the fairies transform the leaves in the finale of the Nutcracker Suite:

e98a35ade96c77e78a4d282a6815255e.gif

BAMBI

bambi-bambi-5798134-1280-960.jpg

BEAUTY AND THE BEAST

1417208545-beauty_and_the_beast_belle_.p

FROZEN 2

AEN20191206005900315_01_i_P2.jpg

On 10/4/2021 at 3:42 AM, LonesomePolecat said:

82a6e0aad94266bd5875bd8e78572707.png

Haha that tower is Abbott Hall in Marblehead, I know exactly what park that guy is standing. Abbott Hall was also used in THE SIXTH SENSE '99 and in 1958's HOME BEFORE DARK with Jean Simmons. Last year's Hubie Halloween with Adam Sandler was filmed in the Marblehead/Salem vicinity in autumn as well-

Can you imagine allowing the crew to dress your historic house for a movie? Pics from the local paper since everyone knows this house:

MarbleheadInn.jpg.c1771030402205df1c5b3ce61269f721.jpgSandlerMovieSM.thumb.jpg.22c2a79147465b80e96fa4277d43dbe8.jpg

• Thanks 1
11 hours ago, LonesomePolecat said:

Someday I'll have to see this now that I know it's a fall movie! :)

I definitely recommend (from experience) somewhere in the region of Halloween:   https://youtu.be/BmYbjK5g2xM?t=39  🎃

(Unfortunately, it's not on Disney+ this October, but getting that DMC disk restoration is always the first step.)

7 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Haha that tower is Abbott Hall in Marblehead, I know exactly what park that guy is standing. Abbott Hall was also used in THE SIXTH SENSE '99 and in 1958's HOME BEFORE DARK with Jean Simmons. Last year's Hubie Halloween with Adam Sandler was filmed in the Marblehead/Salem vicinity in autumn as well-

Can you imagine allowing the crew to dress your historic house for a movie? Pics from the local paper since everyone knows this house:

MarbleheadInn.jpg.c1771030402205df1c5b3ce61269f721.jpgSandlerMovieSM.thumb.jpg.22c2a79147465b80e96fa4277d43dbe8.jpg

Love it! I live near lots of movie locations myself so I know that feeling of “I know where you are!”

Also thanks for mentioning THE SIXTH SENSE which mostly takes place around fall !