Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I think SOME LIKE IT HOT is a worthy choice.  Most movies labelled 'comedies' do not make me laugh and "Some Like It Hot" does so that's a +plus+.   :)

My favourite comedy is a movie considered so bad by critics and viewers alike I'm thankful no one on here has seen it or they'd likely be aghast.  It's not just a movie → it's an 'Experience' to watch it.  It makes me laugh without fail every time I see it despite its badness.  Reckon I've seen it 30 times by now.   📼  This movie features the first (and probably last) "Japanese ELVIS PRESLEY Lookalike Contest".  You've been warned.  😛

SCAVENGER HUNT (1979) was another box-office bomb that makes me laugh a lot.  I've seen it 25 times.  "I HAVE NO •HOLES•!!" shrieks James Coco as he puts the paper bag over his head to rob the convenience store of its cash register . . . except there's no 👁️ eyeholes 👁️  in his paper bag so he can't see where he's going. .  It's that kind of movie.  Expecting anything sophisticated?  Look elsewhere! 

THE BIG BUS and AIRPLANE! are pretty funny. 

Honourable Unintentional Comedy Mention:  WINDOWS (1980).  The climactic confrontation between Talia Shire and Elizabeth Ashley is hysterical.  And it all starts with a frozen puddy tat.  Yes, friends, someone has done a dastardly thing and put Talia's kitty cat in her freezer.  Rock Hard Puddy!  This leads to the final scene at Elizabeth's loft.  The majority of movies in the 'Comedy' genre aren't as funny as what happens at the end of "Windows". 

1 hour ago, filmnoirguy said:

The AFI named Some Like It Hot as the #1 comedy in their 100 Funniest Movies of All Time,   Any thoughts?

I'll go with that. It may not be the best but is somewhere in the top two.

55 minutes ago, unwatchable said:

Wilder comedies defy neat classification; The Apartment, for instance. How would you classify that film?

It's a comedy, no question.

Factoid : Two ladies engage in a rather mordant (if that's the right word) conversation in "Uncle Wiggly in Connecticut", a story by J.D. Salinger. It appeared in the famed volume entitled NINE STORIES. One of the women was describing a relative (or a boss, or something) and referred to this person as resembling an "unwashed Nehemiah Persoff." Doesn't sound too complimentary, does it. Well, at least Nehemiah outlived J.D., that's his revenge.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, filmnoirguy said:

The AFI named Some Like It Hot as the #1 comedy in their 100 Funniest Movies of All Time,   Any thoughts?

Funny. A Hoot. And Enjoyable. But Downright Definitely Not "the" Funniest.

Duck Soup, Sherlock Jr, the General, and Speedy Best it (imo).

Nobody else seems to see Some Like It Hot the way I do, as the tragedy of Osgood Fielding III, a man who loved not wisely.

Some Like it Hot: A Supporting Actor's Delight | The Hollywood Revue

JACK LEMMON and JOE E. BROWN in SOME LIKE IT HOT -1959-. Photograph by Album

Watch Some Like It Hot (1959) free online

ZOWEE!

• Like 3

SOME LIKE IT HOT is definitely one of my favorites but for an all out laugh riot that tickles my funny bone, my vote would have to go to IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD.

Interestingly, it also has a couple of cameos from 2 of SLIH'S cast....Mike Mazurki as a guy with a flat tire who Phil Silvers picks up (to Silvers' dismay, the guy wanted him to take him a bit further out of Silvers' way) and Joe E. Brown near the end of the film as he shouts out (in vain) to the bunch of greedy guys chasing after Spencer Tracy on the weak walkways of an old and condemned building.

BRINGING UP BABY is also another one that never fails to crack me up. Can't go wrong with Cary Grant and Katharine Hepburn.

Strangely, enough, my mom who is usually a big Jack Lemmon fan, never cared for SOME LIKE IT HOT.  She prefers him in his dramatic roles.

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, TomJH said:

Nobody else seems to see Some Like It Hot the way I do, as the tragedy of Osgood Fielding III, a man who loved not wisely.

ZOWEE!

I always wondered if Fielding didn't catch on to 'Daphne's true gender, hence his "Nobody's perfect' closing line.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, TomJH said:

ZOWEE!

Seems like he still had fun - as long as mamá continued to foot the bill...

• Like 3

In my book some of the flat-out funniest stuff that ever went from script to actors to screen come from Preston Sturges.  Wilder may seem to have the dialog market cornered, but I think he can get a little over-indulgent (in some films perhaps) with the slang.  That sounds like a beef, but it's not really, because Wilder comedies just breeze along without a hiccup.  

But when someone consistently makes me howl out loud with "Christmas in July" ("It's not the coffee, it's the bunk"), "The Lady Eve," "Miracle of Morgan's Creek," "Hail the Conquering Hero," "The Palm Beach Story," "The Great McGinty" and others, that guy has a truly rare gift.  The way all the characters spar with each other -- no one outshines William Demarest here -- is jaw-droppingly inspired.  Deserted  island choice for me is the Preston Sturges film library!  Hands down, no question about it. 

• Like 4
5 hours ago, unwatchable said:

Well, Benny Hill would agree if he was still kicking.

Wilder comedies defy neat classification; The Apartment, for instance. How would you classify that film? Some Like it Hot is a great film, undeniably, but, the greatest comedy? To me, The Seven Year Itch is funnier.

How about Animal Crackers? The Big Lebowski, The Blues Brothers, Slap Shot, Monty Python’s Life of Brian, and that's not even counting the silents of Chaplin and Keaton.

Great fun

AFI's Top 100 Funniest Movies listed The Apartment at #20 and The Seven Year Itch at #51.  No Animal Crackers, but the Marx Bros. scored with Duck Soup at #5, Night at the Opera at #12,  A Day at the Races at #59 and Horse Feathers at #65.  Buster Keaton in The General at #18,  Sherlock, Jr.  at #62 and The Navigator at #81.  Chaplin in Gold Rush at #25,  Modern Times at #33,  The Great Dictator at #37 and City Lights at #38.  Harold Lloyd in The Freshman at #79.  Laurel and Hardy in Sons of the Desert at #96.

These make me laugh the most:

Duck Soup (1933)

Horse Feathers (1932)

It's A Gift (1934)

Sons Of The Desert (1933)

Arsenic And Old Lace (1944)

Lover Come Back (1961)

Monty Python's The Meaning Of Life (1983)

What About Bob? (1991)

There's Something About Mary (1998)

Little Miss Sunshine (2006)

• Like 3
19 hours ago, Mr. Gorman said:

>  Still, dying at 40 is still quite young even if someone is a wild partier and heavy drinker.  → I can think of scores of actors who were very unhealthy yet lived decades longer than age forty. 

I watched "Your Cheatin Heart" last night about country singer Hank Williams. He drank himself to death at 29.

I've never really considered THE APARTMENT as that much of a comedy.   This isn't a slam.  It does have it's moments, but I'd put it as more of a "farce".

But some that always get a laugh out of me...

THE COCONUTS 

DUCK SOUP

DINNER AT EIGHT

TOPPER

THE MAN WHO COULD WORK MIRACLES

SONS OF THE DESERT

IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT

MY MAN GODFREY

LIFE WITH FATHER

HIS GIRL FRIDAY

THE LADYKILLERS

THE BELLBOY