Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

OBSESSION (1949) aka THE HIDDEN ROOM

shrinkwrap

This great British thriller will be on TCM October 14.  Unfortunately for Canadians (me), it will be replaced with GASLIGHT (1940), another favorite but easily watchable.  I hope the rights for OBSESSION will be cleared for Canada soon.  It's very difficult to even find a decent DVD copy of this film...

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, shrinkwrap said:

This great British thriller will be on TCM October 14.  Unfortunately for Canadians (me), it will be replaced with GASLIGHT (1940), another favorite but easily watchable.  I hope the rights for OBSESSION will be cleared for Canada soon.  It's very difficult to even find a decent DVD copy of this film...

Shrinkwrap,

Check it out!

https://ok.ru/video/275565775523

. . . featuring Phil Brown ("Uncle Owen" in Star Wars).

Yeah, Robert Newton is pitch-perfect in his role.

When it comes to Film Noir and Newton, I always think of him as Lukey the painter in Carol Reed's Odd Man Out. But, of course, he's most well known for his role of Long John Silver in Treasure Island.  All the "Yaaar!" pirate talk in popular culture seems to have come from this role.

Wow. This really was exceptionally good!  Robert Newton was new to me, and now I can't wait to see him in Odd Man Out along with James Mason.  The print was okay, but I'm hoping for a restored version on TCM and already have it set to record.  It deserves to be preserved.   The tension, the music, the acting, was perfection.   The ending seemed a bit rushed after all that, but I'll watch it again and may change my mind.

Odd Man Out is a true gem of British Noir. Of course, Reed's The Third Man is required viewing for any fan of Film Noir. This goes also, but to a lesser extent, for Reed's The Fallen Idol.

If you like Robert Newton's performances, you should check out Hitchcock's Jamaica Inn.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Katie_G said:

Wow. This really was exceptionally good!  Robert Newton was new to me, and now I can't wait to see him in Odd Man Out along with James Mason.  The print was okay, but I'm hoping for a restored version on TCM and already have it set to record.  It deserves to be preserved.   The tension, the music, the acting, was perfection.   The ending seemed a bit rushed after all that, but I'll watch it again and may change my mind.

39 minutes ago, unwatchable said:

Odd Man Out is a true gem of British Noir. Of course, Reed's The Third Man is required viewing for any fan of Film Noir. This goes also, but to a lesser extent, for Reed's The Fallen Idol.

Yes,  agree  100%  with both of you.  I love Odd Man Out,  I think it's a great film.  And yeah,  Robert Newton is entertainingly over-the-top  ( in a good way)  as the crazy artist.  I also really enjoy James Mason's performance,  although in a way he becomes the McGuffin of the film,   everyone wants a piece of him for one reason or another,  and poor old Johnny is so ill and desperate,  and half-unconscious half the time,  he hardly realizes everyone's fighting over him,  or looking for him,  or wanting to sell him out,  or paint him,  or save his soul,  or whatever... I love that about the film.  ( Also,  Mason was never more attractive than in this movie  as the exhausted Johnny McQueen.  )

Also,  I'm fascinated by Irish history,  particularly that long painful story of The Troubles and the IRA  and all of that.  Plus  ( don't worry,  I'm done after this ! )   I love that many of the exterior scenes are actually shot on location in Belfast.  (  and yes,  I am an Ireland-phile,  of both the Republic and Northern Ireland.  )

• Like 2

On 10/4/2021 at 2:03 PM, shrinkwrap said:

Hi  fellow Canadian.  I don't know how new you are to watching TCM,  but if you are  ( new to it), then I'm sorry to tell you,  you'd better steel yourself for this kind of disappointment on a fairly regular basis.  Oh,  maybe not "regular" as in every week,  but quite often  -  too often for me -  I will see a film scheduled on TCM that I've never seen ,  or a film I love that I saw a long time ago,  or something I'm otherwise really interested in,  and I get all excited about it,  only to discover upon further research   ( as in,  click the TCM schedule from  "U.S."   to "Canada"  )  that the movie I was so looking forward to catching on TCM  has No Rights to be aired in Canada.    Aaargh,  it's so frustrating   especially because the whole "rights"  thing is a very tangled web,  and I have little faith it will ever be sorted out.  

So you have my empathy about "Obession".  However,  we do have many kind and helpful friends here on these boards,  who can sometimes direct us hapless Canadians to other ways to access whatever film we cannot view on TCM -- as demonstrated on this very thread.

• Like 1

I've seen them do both. Sometimes the substitute film has no connection whatsoever to the one TCM's airing in the States,  but it's running time is the same  ( or similar.)

Other times they do seem to make an effort to maintain a theme  (  like if the American TCM selection is featuring a certain star,  they'll try and show another movie,  one that can be broadcast in Canada,   but with the same star .

20 hours ago, Katie_G said:

This sounds good.  I found it on You Tube,  so hopefully they don't block it for Canada.

Unfortunately, the clip on YouTube is missing the opening credits. Among the credits:

"MUSIC COMPOSED by NINO ROTA" (B.F.*), and

" 'Monty' trained by Canine Film Stars"

* Before Fellini.

• Thanks 1

Well, if praise is being given to Robert Newton, then I shall praise his performance as "Bill Sikes" in the 1948 version of Oliver Twist directed by David Lean.

As much as I love Oliver Reed's Sikes (in the 1968 musical Oliver! directed by his uncle Carol), Newton's interpretation of Charles Dickens' brutish thug is scarier and more villainous.

p0=&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

6 hours ago, unwatchable said:

...Of course, Reed's The Third Man is required viewing for any fan of Film Noir.

2 hours ago, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

Always the Kiss of Death for any recommendation, as far as I'm concerned.

So then Millstone,  you're sayin' that Victor Mature/Richard Widmark flick IS "required viewing" TOO here???

(...sorry, couldn't resist)  ;)

1 hour ago, Dargo said:

So then Millstone,  you're sayin' that Victor Mature/Richard Widmark flick IS "required viewing" TOO here???

(...sorry, couldn't resist)  ;)

Kiss of Death is required viewing for budding giggling psychopaths keen on learning new, fun, and creative ways to help wheelchair-bound little, old ladies down stairs.

Just now, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

Kiss of Death is required viewing for budding giggling psychopaths keen on learning new, fun, and creative ways to help wheelchair-bound little, old ladies down stairs.

And, I'd say it's also required viewing for any young film actor who'd be interested in learning how to effectively play a "giggling psychopath" as well and as memorably as Widmark did in his first screen role.

Or maybe, for anyone who's ever thought the underappreciated Victor Mature wasn't a very good actor.

OR maybe, for anyone who has ever wondered how a guy could possibly survive being plugged point blank over and over by a 1911 Colt .45.

(...although admittedly, THIS is something I STILL haven't ever been able to figure out)

16 hours ago, Katie_G said:

I loved Carol Reed's The Third Man and Fallen Idol so Odd Man Out is bound to be right up there.  I've been devouring anything James Mason lately, and now knowing Newton is in it too only adds to the anticipation.

It is very good,I'am a James Mason completist,I just watched is very first film 'Late Extra' it might be available on Youtube

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Dargo said:

And, I'd say it's also required viewing for any young film actor who'd be interested in learning how to effectively play a "giggling psychopath" as well and as memorably as Widmark did in his first screen role.

And if a young actor learns his lesson well, he too might become immortal. Immortal as . . .

The Riddler!

1 hour ago, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

And if a young actor learns his lesson well, he too might become immortal. Immortal as . . .

The Riddler!

Well, have to admit Gorshin here WAS always able to do a pretty darn good Widmark impression, alright.

(...although his Kirk Douglas and Burt Lancaster impressions were probably his best ones)

• Like 2

I'd like to give a shout-out to one of my college professors, Eddie Dmytryk who directed this film. 

He was blacklisted after he made CROSSFIRE (1947) at RKO, which was the studio's second and last feature to be nominated for Best Picture.

He went to England in the late 40s which is when he was hired to do OBSESSION and GIVE US THIS DAY, a much bleaker noir.

He would then become a friendly witness with the House Committee on Un-American Activities. (Something die-hard "lefties" did not forget and forgive.) And he returned to the U.S. His next film was the Columbia noir THE SNIPER (1952).

So there is this great period of "dark" films that Dmytryk made, all worth seeing:

CROSSFIRE
OBSESSION
GIVE US THIS DAY
THE SNIPER

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Dargo said:

Well, have to admit Gorshin here WAS always able to do a pretty darn good Widmark impression, alright.

(...although his Kirk Douglas and Burt Lancaster impressions were probably his best ones)

Frank Gorshin was my favorite of that rare, chameleonic breed known as impressionists (and I don't mean the Fine Arts kind!). Along with fellow mimics David Frye, Will Jordan, George Kirby, Rich Little (overrated IMO), Marilyn Michaels, and Fred Travalena, Gorshin appeared on the entertaining TV comedy The Kopykats.