Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Vintage Noir-Influenced TV

lilypond

44 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Vautrin your last sentence is pretty creepy. Je ne sais quoi, explain that remark.Did the real nazi's have a pleasing appeal to you?

Some of the original Nazis had  a certain cruel style, even if their activities were  horrendous. The neo-Nazis in the  Mannix episode

were just a rather lackluster bunch. I also wasn't impressed by the German leader in Open City. He was nasty enough, but he seemed

more  Italian  than German. I did get a chuckle out of the scene in Il Posto where the hero is wearing his dark cap and looking at himself

in the  men's room  mirror and someone walks by and says he looks like he is in the SS, which was pretty much what  I was thinking.

I'm not sure where this is going to go, but speaking of Dragnet. I still remember my family at the breakfast table-my dad reading the paper and  read out loud that Jack Webb and Julie London were getting a divorce. My dad said, 'Jack Webb must be nuts!' hahaha He loved that show. We all did and they're in re-runs now. Trouble is the clarity is very bad. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, judaline said:

I'm not sure where this is going to go, but speaking of Dragnet. I still remember my family at the breakfast table-my dad reading the paper and  read out loud that Jack Webb and Julie London were getting a divorce. My dad said, 'Jack Webb must be nuts!' hahaha He loved that show. We all did and they're in re-runs now. Trouble is the clarity is very bad. 

Judaline - your message showed up in the right place!   I forgot that Julie London was married to Jack Webb, but remember her married to Bobby Troup.  They starred together in Emergency which is on COZI TV.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, judaline said:

They need to be restored lots of interesting Noir locations in Dragnet 1951–1959

twin, Bobby Troup was great. Really talented. I wonder if they ever made an album together. I kind of remember seeing a clip of her singing and he was on the piano . She was in a slinky evening dress. He wrote the Route 66 song. (get your kicks, haha)

• Like 2

VAUTRIN,  that is interesting about the "David Gideon" character on Perry.  He was that earnest young law student you reference who started out involved with married temptress Patricia Barry, and then morphed into a sort of apprentice in Perry's law office.  Then he disappeared, I think without explanation.  I liked him in the episode about the jazz musician (James Drury) whose fiancee suddenly won't marry him and is fingered for the murder of an unscrupulous composer...   Bobby Troup was in that too, calling everyone "Baby".

Ha, ha, JUDALINE,  your Dad was right.  Julie London was so glamorous!   So glad that you and TWINS are here!   (Fellow posters, I hope I'm not sounding clique-ish with these joyful 'reunion' messages--- I know a few people from other sites who are now here, and am excited we can all be here with you.  I'm very impressed with the TCM message boards.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@VAUTRIN:  I saw the MANNIX "neo-Nazi" episode last night; The Fourth Reich!  Admittedly, however, these guys were a fairly toothless bunch.  The episode title had something to do with "Seagull" means "Bricks" and a character named of 'Alexander Brix' or some such.  But, hey, MANNIX blew these yahoo's sky high at the end!  He set off a bomb in their weapons storeroom and . . .

KABOOM! 

ALSO:  I saw an episode of "STRANNIX" involving a group of evil Germans with sinus problems:  SNOTZIES!  

55 minutes ago, lilypond said:

VAUTRIN,  that is interesting about the "David Gideon" character on Perry.  He was that earnest young law student you reference who started out involved with married temptress Patricia Barry, and then morphed into a sort of apprentice in Perry's law office.  Then he disappeared, I think without explanation.  I liked him in the episode about the jazz musician (James Drury) whose fiancee suddenly won't marry him and is fingered for the murder of an unscrupulous composer...   Bobby Troup was in that too, calling everyone "Baby".

Ha, ha, JUDALINE,  your Dad was right.  Julie London was so glamorous!   So glad that you and TWINS are here!   (Fellow posters, I hope I'm not sounding clique-ish with these joyful 'reunion' messages--- I know a few people from other sites who are now here, and am excited we can all be here with you.  I'm very impressed with the TCM message boards.)

lilypond - I agree!  I'm very impressed with the TCM message boards.    I remember watching Perry Mason with my parents as a child.  I don't remember any episodes., but I'm enjoying reading the comments.

• Like 1

Me too, @TWINS.  This board is more sort of "rollicking" than I'm used to, with opinions flying fast and furious.  It's fun.  Lots of pointed, acerbic humor.  

Now as an adult, I think you'd like "Perry".    After Raymond Burr's colorfully repellent Forties' noir performances in films, playing Perry Mason is such a turnaround for him.   He radiates a certain ponderous probity.  I love the formality of the character, his obliqueness and ostentatious civility. Even as I keep harping on, his impeccable grammar!  Love the way in court, they always refer delicately to "the decedent".    Now, I suppose, it would be "the victim".    Telling.

Glad that "Mannix" has come up, even though I agree it's not really noir-influenced.    To me, he's the perfect late 60's/70's private eye.   He's got that everyman decency, no matter what muck he's been wading in.  A lot of that has to do with Mike Connors' personality, probably.    I was ranting about that on another thread here.  Mannix and Peggy, an unbeatable team.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lilypond said:

Yes, Patricia Barry. For the life of me I  couldn't remember who played that part. She was in quite a few TV shows of the time. She certainly messed

with  young  David's mind.  He was in  a number of  episodes and  then, as  you said, just disappeared. I do  remember the  one with James Drury.

Perry had to point out to some people that Drury was not some  struggling  musician but actually made a good living with his music. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr. Gorman said:

@VAUTRIN:  I saw the MANNIX "neo-Nazi" episode last night; The Fourth Reich!  Admittedly, however, these guys were a fairly toothless bunch.  The episode title had something to do with "Seagull" means "Bricks" and a character named of 'Alexander Brix' or some such.  But, hey, MANNIX blew these yahoo's sky high at the end!  He set off a bomb in their weapons storeroom and . . .

KABOOM! 

ALSO:  I saw an episode of "STRANNIX" involving a group of evil Germans with sinus problems:  SNOTZIES!  

Yeah, Joe blew those  neo-Nazis  all the way to Berlin. The word brick in German sounds like the word seagull in English,  though it's spelled differently.

Even the only original German Nazi wasn't  very scary. And  how  about Joe using his watch to cut those "steps" to get out of that basement cell. Hey,

it's a TV show. 

Mannix depression is searching my soul...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lilypond said:

JAMESELLIOT,  that is one eclectic list!   T.H.E. Cat,  a lost series.  I wonder what happened to it.  Love Robert Loggia, and he WAS lithe as a cat.   Oh, that reminds me of "Run for Your Life" a series that both TWINS and I are mad for.   Ben Gazzara, just tops in that.  But the "lost series" idea made me think of RFYL,  because I'm not sure if it's even available as a DVD.   Years ago I checked, and maybe there was a suspect, pirated-type tape available?   Not sure.

LAVENDERBLUE19,   "Route 66"  may very well come up again.  I think FETV has run it a couple of times, right? 

Run For Your Life was broadcast on MeTV about 5 years ago on Saturday nights. Their prints were very color-faded and worn out. The show featured excellent guest stars among them Fernando Lamas as Gazzara's gigolo pal and Henry Silva as a Mafia killer.  Joan  Collins,  Michele Carey and Marianna Hill appeared in several memorable episodes. There's a fan website--if it's stlll active-- dedicated to the series that's very detailed. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Mr. Gorman said:

I forgot to mention the title of that episode; it's THE CASE OF THE FINAL FADE-OUT.

And Erle Stanley Gardner played the judge in that episode.

17 hours ago, Vautrin said:

I don't recall Mason having any law partners. He did take that young guy under his wing for a while. I think he was

introduced making out with a sexy babe in his relative's law office. After that, as far as pleasure went, it was all down hill for Dave.

I think that "new" character was still a law student and was probably an attempt to appeal to a younger audience maybe.

As for law partners, I don't believe he had any partners either, but in the first season there were episodes where he conferred with employees or sent them to do jobs.  Some appeared to be attorneys.

14 hours ago, lilypond said:

VAUTRIN,  that is interesting about the "David Gideon" character on Perry.  He was that earnest young law student you reference who started out involved with married temptress Patricia Barry, and then morphed into a sort of apprentice in Perry's law office.  Then he disappeared, I think without explanation. 

I think that "new" character was still a law student and was probably an attempt to appeal to a younger audience maybe.

• Like 2

Since the OTA or digital networks keep coming up, I think they are all changing to broadcasting  more programs from the 70's and 80's now and will probably move into the 90's at some point.   Of course some of the Classic B&W's from 50's and 60's will be with us forever.

21 hours ago, unwatchable said:

For your pennance, say six "Hail, Black Masks" and genuflect at the altar of Hammett on your way out of the confessional.

;)   And after genuflecting, I'll dance away singing( to the tune of "Fiddler"  's  "If I were a  Rich Man")  "If I Were A Thin Man!"  :) 

18 hours ago, Vautrin said:

FETV ran Peter Gunn for years. It seemed it would never end, but it finally did. I had never seen that program before then. It was

pretty decent. Gunn had that late 1950s jazz and beatnik vibe down pat. A lot of artsy, bohemians came into Petey's orbit.

Mannix has been on FETV for a couple of weeks. Not very noirish but enjoyable. Last night Joe tackled a group of neo-Nazis,

who just didn't have that original Nazi je  ne sais quoi.  A pretty sad lot.

Mancini's theme for PETER GUNN was a very popular TV theme , although when it was released as a single, it failed to chart for some reason.  Still, it's still a pretty cool theme.

And in that MANNIX episode last night.....

Joe didn't get hit in the HEAD, did he?  :rolleyes:

Seemed like every episode that dude was getting smacked on the back of his head.  We figured in real life, he'd eventually be unable to talk and would have to be spoon fed.  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Like 1

Mannix gets pummeled in every episode, I think.  You have to watch MANNIX with the idea that it takes place in a slightly altered Universe.   🪐 Since he gets involved in fistights and shootings and other various physical punishments all the time I'm sure his 'Life Insurance' policy application was •rejected•! 

And don't forget about Frank Cannon; he gets beat up and shot up and shot at quite frequently -- although no one beats Mannix to the punch!  🥊🥊

• Haha 1

When I was growing up, we didn't get cable until the early'70s, so until then, as far as American TV went, It was whatever  the Canadian networks rebroadcast, or the CBS affiliate across the border.  T.H.E. Cat was one of the ones I missed, unfortunately.

As far as more recent stuff, there's Michael Mann's Crime Story.  It had a definite late noir vibe.

• Like 1

RAYMOND BURR has been mentioned above as playing a variety of scumbags prior to becoming the noble PERRY MASON on Tv.  I think it's worth noting that Raymond played another real scumbag in the 1968 release P.J.  starring George Peppard.  BURR plays a venal rich man named 'Orbison' and he's a real rotter; nothing like PERRY MASON or IRONSIDE.   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ElCid said:

As for law partners, I don't believe he had any partners either, but in the first season there were episodes where he conferred with employees or sent them to do jobs.  Some appeared to be attorneys.

Yes when he was first  introduced  in the episode where he was having an affair with Patricia Barry, at the end he was thinking about

possibly  studying law instead  of using his grandfather's office as a  make out place.  Then Perry took him on as a kind of assistant. I

believe he  didn't come until the series had been on the air for a while so  it might very well have been an attempt to appeal to a

younger audience and also to have another character who could be used for subplots. Every  once in a while  Perry would have to

remind him that he wasn't a lawyer  yet and couldn't do certain things.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

And in that MANNIX episode last night.....

Joe didn't get hit in the HEAD, did he?  :rolleyes:

Seemed like every episode that dude was getting smacked on the back of his head.  We figured in real life, he'd eventually be unable to talk and would have to be spoon fed.  ;) 

Sepiatone

Mannix getting punched, shot at, etc.  became a running joke after it was on for a few seasons. He certainly earned his  fee. I usually watch the  11  pm

episode. Last night he even got into trouble riding a horse.  Even the animal kingdom is after the guy. 

• Haha 1

The  anthology  series  The  Twilight  Zone  and  The  Outer  Limits  had  some  noir  elements  in  those  shows.  The  black  and   white  episodes  of  The  Avengers  with  Patrick  Macnee , Honor  Blackman  and  Diana  Rigg  had  noir  elements  as  well. Thanks

• Like 3

2 hours ago, cinemaman said:

The  anthology  series  The  Twilight  Zone  and  The  Outer  Limits  had  some  noir  elements  in  those  shows.  The  black  and   white  episodes  of  The  Avengers  with  Patrick  Macnee , Honor  Blackman  and  Diana  Rigg  had  noir  elements  as  well. Thanks

I'm currently writing about the Noir Twilight Zone episodes here.

• Thanks 2