Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Vintage Noir-Influenced TV

Wow, JAMESELLIOT,  I wish I had caught "Run For Your Life" when METV was showing it.  The tiny clips I've seen of it on youtube are also faded and poor quality, drat.  You're right, they did have great guest stars, along with fabulous Ben Gazzara.  I think there was even some ill-fated romance with Claudine Longet, Andy Williams' ex,  along with syrupy theme music--   "Meditation"?   or something....

RJBARTROP,  since you were in a Canadian TV market back then, did you get "The Friendly Giant",  the world's best children's show, with Bob Homme?   Complete with a recorder warbling "Greensleeves"?   If you weren't in an Ontario market, though, you might not have gotten it-- might've been only in eastern Canada....

MR. GORMAN,  and Raymond Burr was notoriously creepy in that excellent noir insurance caper whose name escapes me right now, rats.  The one with D i c k Powell, Lizabeth Scott, and Jane Wyatt.   Powell is a restless insurance guy, and Burr is a seedy detective, and they both are interested in model Lizabeth Scott.  Burr menaces her in the most horrible, repulsive way, and yes, he's the polar opposite of Perry!   Such a good actor.

Thanks, CINEMAMAN for mentioning "The Avengers"-- such a good show--  which makes me think of its contemporary, "The Invaders" with Roy Thinnes.  Anyone here like that one?   Sci fi noir TV, ha.   I don't even like sci fi,  but "architect David Vincent" is such a compelling figure, trying to warn "a disbelieving world" of the presence of aliens on earth...

• Like 1

@LILYPOND:  The movie you're thinking of is PITFALL (1948). 

I've seen THE INVADERS before; if you think about it the premise of the show isn't far removed from "The Fugitive" → a lone individual against "The System". 

• Like 1

Love all the references to "Mannix".    Apparently Mike Connors liked to do stunts, and dislocated his shoulder doing one.  He was also a car aficionado, such a sweet, regular guy.  So likeable, and had a nice r'ship with Ward Wood as "Art Malcolm".   If anyone has seen the heated Joan Crawford noir,  "Sudden Fear",    a very young Mike Connors played the younger brother of her trusted family attorney, who was trying to court femme fatale Gloria Grahame, who was really in cahoots with Joan's crooked husband, Jack Palance.   Mike was still going by his college basketball name then, "Touch",  so he was billed as "Touch Connors",  which he reportedly hated.

Hey, I have 2  questions as a newbie.   One, I can only see other posters'  names in capitals.  Is that normal?   That's why I've been typing them all out in caps.  But do they appear that way on all devices?    Don't want to be mangling people's names!  

2nd question--   I put a post in the "Noir" category, asking what people's fave noirs are, and giving mine.  And the last time I looked,  no one had answered.   I wondered if it was because I put it in the wrong category--  I now see that there is a "Favorites" category that perhaps I should have stuck it in?   Should I try to find a moderator to move it?   Or maybe people are jaded with that sort of question, and too bored to answer.

Thanks so much if anyone takes pity on my flubs and responds to my questions!    

27 minutes ago, lilypond said:

RJBARTROP,  since you were in a Canadian TV market back then, did you get "The Friendly Giant",  the world's best children's show, with Bob Homme?   Complete with a recorder warbling "Greensleeves"?   If you weren't in an Ontario market, though, you might not have gotten it-- might've been only in eastern Canada....

The Friendly Giant was CBC, so everyone got it.  If you're a Canadian, of a certain age group, it was part of you're childhood.  Same with Chez Hélène.

And that definitely wasn't "Greensleeves" they were playing, but "Early One Morning".   This song, and the theme to "Hockey Night in Canada" are pretty much burned into the brains of every boomer Canuck.

We did get a fair amount of British shows, so while I missed out on things like "T.H.E. Cat",   getting to see "UFO" and "Jason King' made up for it.

• Thanks 1

Ha, ha, thanks, how could I have garbled those two pieces, RJBARTROP!    Loved Friendly, and Jerome and Rusty.   I didn't really like, or maybe, just didn't 'get', Chez Helene that much-- the voices were so fluty.

That's interesting, MR. GORMAN, when you mentioned that Janssen movie title, at first I couldn't remember if it's one of his that I've seen.  Turns out, I haven't seen that one.  I'm a huge David Janssen fan--  we've had the "Fugitive" DVD set for ages, running through the series periodically, and almost cultish-ly, ha.  Yet, in the few movies of his, I've been rather disappointed.  What a shame, in his short life, he seemed not to have many film roles commmensurate with his prodigious talent.   Unless I've missed something, which is entirely possible. 

• Like 1

DAVID JANSSEN made a passel of made-for-television movies between 1970 and his death in 1980.  Think it was 17 TVM's in that 10-yr span, not including the various theatrical presentations he was involved in + plus his TV series work and mini-series (THE WORD, CENTENNIAL). 

He was a work-a-holic. 

David Janssen played a "bad guy" on CANNON in 1973.  He didn't get a chance to play "bad guys" very often; but he did in this 2-part episode of CANNON.  Probably why he took the role as "Ian Kirk". 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

I'm currently writing about the Noir Twilight Zone episodes here.

The Four of Us Are Dying with Don Gordon and Dead Man's Shoes are very strong noir stories with great direction and acting.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, jameselliot said:

The Four of Us Are Dying with Don Gordon and Dead Man's Shoes are very strong noir stories with great direction and acting.

Agree, I'm currently working through season 3 in part 5. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, lilypond said:

Wow, JAMESELLIOT,  I wish I had caught "Run For Your Life" when METV was showing it.  The tiny clips I've seen of it on youtube are also faded and poor quality, drat.  You're right, they did have great guest stars, along with fabulous Ben Gazzara.  I think there was even some ill-fated romance with Claudine Longet, Andy Williams' ex,  along with syrupy theme music--   "Meditation"?   or something....

MR. GORMAN,  and Raymond Burr was notoriously creepy in that excellent noir insurance caper whose name escapes me right now, rats.  The one with D i c k Powell, Lizabeth Scott, and Jane Wyatt.   Powell is a restless insurance guy, and Burr is a seedy detective, and they both are interested in model Lizabeth Scott.  Burr menaces her in the most horrible, repulsive way, and yes, he's the polar opposite of Perry!   Such a good actor.

Thanks, CINEMAMAN for mentioning "The Avengers"-- such a good show--  which makes me think of its contemporary, "The Invaders" with Roy Thinnes.  Anyone here like that one?   Sci fi noir TV, ha.   I don't even like sci fi,  but "architect David Vincent" is such a compelling figure, trying to warn "a disbelieving world" of the presence of aliens on earth...

Longet sang Meditation in the first season finale of Run, playing Gazzara's love interest. I think she played the same character in a second episode. This series needs a high quality DVD release but i have a feeling its the usual rigbts issue.  

• Like 1
5 hours ago, lilypond said:

Ha, ha, thanks, how could I have garbled those two pieces, RJBARTROP!    Loved Friendly, and Jerome and Rusty.   I didn't really like, or maybe, just didn't 'get', Chez Helene that much-- the voices were so fluty.

I enjoy taking about this, but I think I'm going to make a new topic so as not to annoy the folks ho want to talk about noir TV.

• Thanks 1
12 hours ago, lilypond said:

Hey, I have 2  questions as a newbie.   One, I can only see other posters'  names in capitals.  Is that normal?   That's why I've been typing them all out in caps.  But do they appear that way on all devices?    Don't want to be mangling people's names!  

2nd question--   I put a post in the "Noir" category, asking what people's fave noirs are, and giving mine.  And the last time I looked,  no one had answered.   I wondered if it was because I put it in the wrong category--  I now see that there is a "Favorites" category that perhaps I should have stuck it in?   Should I try to find a moderator to move it?   Or maybe people are jaded with that sort of question, and too bored to answer.

Thanks so much if anyone takes pity on my flubs and responds to my questions!    

Ques. 1.  The "new" TCM format for this forum changed all names to all caps.

Ques. 2.   Many people only post in or read a few categories and tend to avoid the specialty ones.  Myself, I generally check out General and Off Topics and rarely if ever go to the others.  So, if you want to discuss something, you can do it in General or Off Topic.  If it relates to movies, TV, actors, etc.; General is a good place to discuss it.   If it is in the wrong place the moderators will move and leave a note that it was moved.  Off Topic is primarily, though not exclusively, political.  It also gets rather hot at times.  If you post there and someone comes down on you, don't take it seriously.  

Incidentally, welcome to the forum and for bringing up some interesting topics.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, lilypond said:

Living here in the metro Detroit area( just across the river from Windsor, Ont.)  we got much Canadian TV on VHF  CKLW TV (channel 9) and of course, "The Friendly Giant", but me and my friends were too old to be into it( as it debuted in '58, and we were all born in '51) but most our younger brothers and sisters watched it.  Me?  Well....

There was the local Windsor kids productions like CAPTAIN JOLLY, with actor Toby David as the captain presenting Popeye cartoons.  JINGLES with Jerry Booth and puppet sidekicks Herkimer Dragon and Cecil B. Rabbit.  

My kid sister used to watch a show out of Canada called "Mr. Dressup" while I was leaving to go to high school in the morning.   I once joked to our Mom.....

"Mr. Dressup.   Isn't that what we called the guy down the block who always wore his wife's cothes?"  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

Living here in the metro Detroit area( just across the river from Windsor, Ont.)  we got much Canadian TV on VHF  CKLW TV (channel 9) and of course, "The Friendly Giant", but me and my friends were too old to be into it( as it debuted in '58, and we were all born in '51) but most our younger brothers and sisters watched it.  Me?  Well....

There was the local Windsor kids productions like CAPTAIN JOLLY, with actor Toby David as the captain presenting Popeye cartoons.  JINGLES with Jerry Booth and puppet sidekicks Herkimer Dragon and Cecil B. Rabbit.  

My kid sister used to watch a show out of Canada called "Mr. Dressup" while I was leaving to go to high school in the morning.   I once joked to our Mom.....

"Mr. Dressup.   Isn't that what we called the guy down the block who always wore his wife's cothes?"  ;) 

Sepiatone

Ernie Coombs, the man who was "Mr. Dressup", got his start as a puppeteer for Fred Rogers, (yes the Mr. Rogers), before striking out on his own.

On the West Coast, along with the CBC faire already mentioned,  we got Peter Rolston,  first in Fun Fair, Planet Pals, and then Pete's Place, on the local CTV stations.

• Like 2

MR. GORMAN,    you just made me remember I've seen that Cannon episode with Janssen as a baddie!   It was an interesting two-parter, but hard to accept DJ in that role!   Maybe I'm hallucinating, but thinking maybe Barry Sullivan and other classic stars were in that too....

ELCID,  you are so kind to answer my questions, thank you, and thanks for the welcome.

I did dither about where to put my new film noir thread, since there weren't many gangsters in my favorite noirs, and that category is labeled "Film Noir-- Gangsters", but thought that came the closest to my topic.    Should have stuck with "General Discussions",  as you say!   I've checked out "Off-Topics" a little here and there, looks "bruising" but fun.  

SEPIATONE and RJBARTROP  ,  that's interesting about "Mr. Dress-up",   and Mr. Rogers.   Saw not much of Mr. D, but seem to remember not caring that much for him, for some reason, nor even zany "Uncle Bobby". 

JAMESELLIOT,  it would be great if they ever came out with quality DVD's on "Run for Your LIfe"!   I hope you'll post an alert here if you ever run across any.

19 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

I'm currently writing about the Noir Twilight Zone episodes here.

TZ's most "noir" episode ever would have to be "What You Need", and what with its setting, its cinematography, and especially its casting of Steve Cochran in the lead role.

Wouldn't ya say, CJ?!

q1yDmzccroPrtShjU=&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

(...liked that you included it in your blog)

• Like 3
On 10/6/2021 at 6:06 PM, Vautrin said:

Some of the original Nazis had  a certain cruel style, even if their activities were  horrendous. The neo-Nazis in the  Mannix episode

were just a rather lackluster bunch.

I'm guessing you weren't very impressed by the neo-Nazis in THE BLUES BROTHERS.

@LILYPOND:  Besides David Janssen and Barry Sullivan there was Anne Baxter, Lee Purcell, R.G. Armstrong, Murray Hamilton, Louise Troy and Cathy Lee Crosby as one of the murder victims. 

But did DAVID J. really commit double homicide?  Or was it someone else?  Good gosh! 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Stoopnagle said:

I'm guessing you weren't very impressed by the neo-Nazis in THE BLUES BROTHERS.

I haven't  seen The   Blues Brothers in ages, so I don't remember much about the neo-Nazis. No doubt they were likely

pretty pathetic. Accept no substitutes. 

3 hours ago, Vautrin said:

I haven't  seen The   Blues Brothers in ages, so I don't remember much about the neo-Nazis. No doubt they were likely

pretty pathetic. Accept no substitutes. 

Henry Gibson was the leader of the neo-Nazis in that movie. Need I say more?

3 hours ago, LiamCasey said:

Henry Gibson was the leader of the neo-Nazis in that movie. Need I say more?

No, I think that sums it all up. 🌻

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
5 hours ago, uncle charlie said:

I enjoyed your piece. However, in your lengthy list of guest stars, you left out my favorite - Jack Klugman.

I was only listening those actors who appeared in Classic, Transitional, and Neo Noir. Maybe that explains why.