Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Vintage Noir-Influenced TV

5 hours ago, lilypond said:

Yes, ELCID and AMANDABONNER,   a relatively obscure series, but worthy.  Nice vehicle for Edmond O'Brien--  I tried this a.m. half a dozen times to post a picture from the series here, but computer was not cooperating!

AMANDABONNER,  that's great you found some episodes on Youtube--   hope you enjoy!

Discovered I have already signed up for Youtube TV stuff.  Watched a double episode of Sam Benedict.  Interesting.  Also found that they have some The Thin Man TV series so I watched one of those.  Kind of confusing to navigate around their site.  So, hard to tell how many episodes they have of any particular series.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, ElCid said:

Discovered I have already signed up for Youtube TV stuff.  Watched a double episode of Sam Benedict.  Interesting.  Also found that they have some The Thin Man TV series so I watched one of those.  Kind of confusing to navigate around their site.  So, hard to tell how many episodes they have of any particular series.

Much of YT's content is user submitted (sometimes in violation of copyright laws), so it's up to that user as to the organization of their content.  The Sam Benedict content I found was uploaded by user OrwellzToolz.  

YouTube also offers TV programs and movies, often for a fee.  But that doesn't appear to be the case here.

And none of this is to be confused with the streaming cable/satellite replacement ("cord cutting") service YT offers and is branded as YouTube TV.  That costs $65/month.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

Much of YT's content is user submitted (sometimes in violation of copyright laws), so it's up to that user as to the organization of their content.  The Sam Benedict content I found was uploaded by user OrwellzToolz.  

YouTube also offers TV programs and movies, often for a fee.  But that doesn't appear to be the case here.

And none of this is to be confused with the streaming cable/satellite replacement ("cord cutting") service YT offers and is branded as YouTube TV.  That costs $65/month.

Actually discovered that there were only three episodes of The Thin Man.  Two I have on DVD's and the other I had seen before and not worth recording.  Looked around the site and couldn't find anything I wanted to watch, so it's a bust.

• Like 1

Wow, you all know a lot more about the ins and outs of different youtube  services than I do.  I've only ever watched free, streaming youtube.  The kind where, you think of something you hope might already be on youtube, you google it, and then you find a free streaming video of it.

I've done a search on things like 'classic Forties films', etc., and a bunch of live streaming free movies will pop up.  (Most must be in the public domain, I imagine. ).  That's how I found Preminger's  noirish "Whirlpool",   with Gene Tierney and Richard Conte ,   among others.  It doesn't seem to be aired much on conventional channels, but there it is, forever available and beckoning, on youtube!   Finds like that are so exciting.

Most of "The Fugitive" episodes used to be streaming free on youtube--  then, all of a sudden, they were summarily yanked.  Luckily, I have the entire series on DVD.  

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, lilypond said:

That's how I found Preminger's  noirish "Whirlpool",   with Gene Tierney and Richard Conte ,   among others.

Whirlpool is a 20th Century Fox film so that is the main reason TCM might not show it since Fox (now Disney),  have their own networks and tend to limit what they lease to competitors like TCM (as well as the cost for films like Laura  etc..). 

MOVIES-TV shows many Fox films and that is where I saw Whirlpool.   

How was the print you viewed on You-Tube?      If it was clean and that version is in the public domain I'm surprised TCM hasn't shown it.     

• Like 1

Oh, that's interesting, JAMESJAZGUITAR.   That copyright stuff must account for it being rather scarce. 

As far as I can remember, it was a clean copy, with lustrous black and white cinematography and good sound.  You sure can't say that about all the films on youtube, but I think "Whirlpool" was pretty good!