Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Helen Greco.


Aritosthenes
 Share

Recommended Posts

   This, Very Special Birthday.. almost Happened too long ago now to recieve a "card". (September 20th.) But Ninety-Seven however; is VERY (Very) Special.

  Helen Grayco. Singer and Actress. Perhaps Best Remembered As Being Married to the Zany, Loose-Cannon Musician Spike Jones. Born (September 20th) - 1924(!); Tacoma Washington. Happy Happy Happy, Warm, Safe (albeit Very Belated) Birthday Wishes For You Madam.

 

 

   Wonder What it would have been like to be married to such a Unique GoofBalll.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Spike Jones is one of my heros.  I just love what he did, for many years...  Recognized Helen's name before I even clicked on it.  Had no idea Helen is still with us.  Sure wish Spike was.  Love those 1950s Colgate Comedy Hour shows he did (I have on VHS), which his family finally uploaded to YT.  A beautiful soul.  Wish there were more like him.  Honest.  I know Richard Carpenter gave it a try.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Movie Collector OH said:

Spike Jones is one of my heros.  I just love what he did, for many years...  Recognized Helen's name before I even clicked on it.  Had no idea Helen is still with us.  Sure wish Spike was.  Love those 1950s Colgate Comedy Hour shows he did (I have on VHS), which his family finally uploaded to YT.  A beautiful soul.  Wish there were more like him.  Honest.  I know Richard Carpenter gave it a try.

  For me Spike Jones has always been a musical equivalent of say Buster Keaton or perhaps (more obliquely) Ernie Kovacs.

  You might be Interested in this, though Very Likely (Already) Familiar to You: Jones was a one time guest on whsts my line. Kinda, peculiar (somewhat interesting) though (at least from my perspective); he was one of the Few mystery guests who just did NOT Seem to be having a (marginally) Goode Time in the presence of John Daly and Co.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, a belated birthday wish from me to  Helen Greco.  Thanks Aritosthenes for the interesting history.

Wow, it must have been when I was about 5 when my grandpa played "Right in Der Fuehrer's Face" on his big old 1962 stereo.  This was the 45 record, and I think I must have worn out three needles listening and laughing at what Spike Jones was doing to music!  Since then I really have a ball watching when Spike Jones comes on a program or a short subject.  The choreography and timing of some of those bands back in the 40's is a delight to behold and a thing of beauty forever.   

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, brianNH said:

Well, a belated birthday wish from me to  Helen Greco.  Thanks Aritosthenes for the interesting history.

Wow, it must have been when I was about 5 when my grandpa played "Right in Der Fuehrer's Face" on his big old 1962 stereo.  This was the 45 record, and I think I must have worn out three needles listening and laughing at what Spike Jones was doing to music!  Since then I really have a ball watching when Spike Jones comes on a program or a short subject.  The choreography and timing of some of those bands back in the 40's is a delight to behold and a thing of beauty forever.   

  Jones, Mel Blanc, and (Carl) Stalling did for the Audio/Musical aspect(s) of Comedy; what the likes of Keaton, Kovacs, and Mel Brooks have done and contributed for (more) visual inspired comedy

 

I Comedically ADORE, ALL Aforementioned Hysterical FunnyBone Heavy Hitters.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Aritosthenes said:

  Jones, Mel Blanc, and (Carl) Stalling did for the Audio/Musical aspect(s) of Comedy; what the likes of Keaton, Kovacs, and Mel Brooks have done and contributed for (more) visual inspired comedy

 

I Comedically ADORE, ALL Aforementioned Hysterical FunnyBone Heavy Hitters.

Another one to listen to on YT is Hoyt Curtin (The Flintstones).  Not just the theme, but all the background music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHlYYyM2Gjw
 

 

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Moviecollector, you are a treasure.  All the Hannah-Barbera stuff in the early and mid-60's were some of my favorite cartoons!  I just don't understand why my wife doesn't get it!  Alas.  (She's all "If it isn't Warner Brothers, why bother?")

I never missed an episode of "Jonny Quest," and then there was Flintstones, Jetsons, Top Cat, on and on and on.  Thinking of my thread about credits, I remember seeing Hoyt Curtain's name at the end of all those shows.  Thanks to your bringing up this composer now -- after I haven't really watched the old shows for a long time --  I am floating back  ever so pleasantly to that time.

By the way, does anyone remember Jim Carrey's big TV break called "The Duck Factory?"  About a little animation studio and its inhabitants -- really too good for its time.  But one episode was an awards show where the band -- purely in the background -- can be heard playing all the old cartoon theme music from various shows.  I thought it was funny. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, brianNH said:

Moviecollector, you are a treasure.  All the Hannah-Barbera stuff in the early and mid-60's were some of my favorite cartoons!  I just don't understand why my wife doesn't get it!  Alas.  (She's all "If it isn't Warner Brothers, why bother?")

I never missed an episode of "Jonny Quest," and then there was Flintstones, Jetsons, Top Cat, on and on and on.  Thinking of my thread about credits, I remember seeing Hoyt Curtain's name at the end of all those shows.  Thanks to your bringing up this composer now -- after I haven't really watched the old shows for a long time --  I am floating back  ever so pleasantly to that time.

By the way, does anyone remember Jim Carrey's big TV break called "The Duck Factory?"  About a little animation studio and its inhabitants -- really too good for its time.  But one episode was an awards show where the band -- purely in the background -- can be heard playing all the old cartoon theme music from various shows.  I thought it was funny. 

That one was a more recent find, so still fresh in my memory.  I download these videos and my downloader uses the exact same title for the files on my computer.  So then if I want to share it, all I need to do is search for it on YT by filename.  And if it's taken down from there, I can still upload and share the file I have, in some other way.

I used to just do bookmarks in my browser, but then years later all you end up with is a bunch of bookmarks with dead links.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

© 2022 Turner Classic Movies Inc. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...