Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Up here in the Great White North, we got to enjoy plenty of American Movies and TV,  but we had our share of local product,  so what figured prominently in the memories of the Canucks in the group?

I mentioned  in another thread that every Canadian of a certain age had both the themes to The Friendly Giant and Hockey Night in Canada burned into their memories.   I'd also suggest a fair number of them also know the lyrics to "Rocket Robin Hood" by heart.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, rjbartrop said:

I'd also suggest a fair number of them also know the lyrics to "Rocket Robin Hood" by heart.

That played in Dallas too. I didn't know it was Canadian. 

Well I for one love Canadian movies. I used to date a guy who worked for CBC. He was putting together a promo reel of Canada's film output and when showing DEATH TO SMOOCHY said, "it's the worst film in history". I watched his VHS promo copy (with b&w scenes for copyright) a LOVED it. Guess no one realized it was kind of a black comedy. He had worked on the recently mentioned FLY AWAY HOME, which I also really liked. 

My favorite CBC TV show was This Hour Has 22 Minutes and I often watch Talking To Americans on You Tube. More true today than ever.

I always liked when the MST3K guys would say, "This has the bacon-y smell of Canada" about a movie. The best of that series was FINAL SACRIFICE with Rowsdower.

And whenever I see a black squirrel I think of this: 

• Thanks 1

When I lived in Northwest Montana for a time we only got two broadcast channels. One of the was CBC out of Vancouver BC. It was the better channel for entertainment. That's were we got exposed to lots  of British comedies, The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin, Red Dwarf, Fawlty Towers, Hitchhiker's' Guide to the Galaxy, Black Adder. The other was a PBS station where we saw even more British programing with Masterpiece Theater giving us I, Claudius, and Poldark. 

• Like 3

For the Comedy Iconoclasts of 'SCTV,' a Joyful Reunion Tinged With Loss -  The New York Times

SCTV, one of the best comedy shows on television is Canadian. Over the years I bumped into three of the cast in Toronto, two in a record store and one in a bar.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

rjbartrop, there was a Canadian-produced TV series (a half hour show) which played briefly in syndication on American TV in the mid-1970s. The show was about (I think) a doctor in a Canadian town. The star of the show went on to become a host of an American network (ABC, I think) morning talk show-.  Does this sound familiar?

I may be mistaking the TV personality, because it looks like I was thinking of David Hartman, but there's no such show in his listings on IMDB. Nevertheless, I do remember the show was a Canadian production.

45 minutes ago, unwatchable said:

rjbartrop, there was a Canadian-produced TV series (a half hour show) which played briefly in syndication on American TV in the mid-1970s. The show was about (I think) a doctor in a Canadian town. The star of the show went on to become a host of an American network (ABC, I think) morning talk show-.  Does this sound familiar?

It's tweaking my memory, but I'm going to have to do some digging.  I want to say it's a spinoff of The Beachcombers, but I'm not sure.

UPDATE:  " Adventures in Rainbow Country", and "Search and Rescue" sound close.  Either of those ring a bell?

1 hour ago, Ray Faiola said:

My visits to my in-laws in Ottawa were always augmented by watching Elwe Yost and his classic movie presentations. A genuine film enthusiast!

The CBC used to play a lot of vintage movies in the afternoon.  It's where I got my fix before I discovered TCM.

5 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

When I lived in Northwest Montana for a time we only got two broadcast channels. One of the was CBC out of Vancouver BC. It was the better channel for entertainment. That's were we got exposed to lots  of British comedies, The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin, Red Dwarf, Fawlty Towers, Hitchhiker's' Guide to the Galaxy, Black Adder. The other was a PBS station where we saw even more British programing with Masterpiece Theater giving us I, Claudius, and Poldark. 

I grew up in the Lower Mainland, so I remember CBUT well.  CTV, Canada's first private TV network, used to fill its schedule with a lot of ITV programming.   The cult favourite "The Prisoner" actually made its debut on CTV before it as shown in England.   Between that, and KVOS in Bellingham showing so many British films and sitcoms, I developed quite a fondness for British film and TV.

3 hours ago, TomJH said:

SCTV, one of the best comedy shows on television is Canadian. Over the years I bumped into three of the cast in Toronto, two in a record store and one in a bar.

SCTV is a national treasure.  For an earlier generation,  Wayne and Shuster were Canadian comedy gold.

wayne_andshuster.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
40 minutes ago, Ray Faiola said:

My visits to my in-laws in Ottawa were always augmented by watching Elwe Yost and his classic movie presentations. A genuine film enthusiast!

Yes Saturday nights at the Movies on TV Ontario was my favorite tv show for many years.Animated by Elwy Yost he was an outstanding  movie historian i would call him. even if he was not in title For many years I watched the show  the length was 4-5 hours with 2-3 movies.Yost made multiples interviews in Hollywood etc with actors,producers,writers and directors like Robert Wise,R Fleischer etc.It was a condensed TCM many years before TCM existed,he formed my fascination for classic films,my then girlfriend -for many years-nicknamed him 'my buddy'.Imo he was a better presenterand interviewer than Robert Osborne whom I always liked but was a couple of notches below Yost.Several years ago   I suggested to TCM on one of these boards or something to try to licensed the hundreds of interviews Yost made.He was unique and the best I have ever seen on tv.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, TomJH said:

Yes, I still remember the first time I saw "SCTV" on our TV. Was turning the dial on the old TV one night and came across a skit featuring Joe Flaherty's "Count Floyd," John Candy's "Dr. Tongue," and Eugene Levy's "Bruno" and was hooked. That was in the early days of the show and before it went big on  CTV, CBC, and then NBC in the U.S.

Harold Ramis waas on the show when I first watched it so it must have been the first or second season when I first saw it. Probably first season wayyyyyyyy back in 1976/1977 around there...

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, nakano said:

Yes Saturday nights at the Movies on TV Ontario was my favorite tv show for many years.Animated by Elwy Yost he was an outstanding  movie historian i would call him. even if he was not in title For many years I watched the show  the length was 4-5 hours with 2-3 movies.Yost made multiples interviews in Hollywood etc with actors,producers,writers and directors like Robert Wise,R Fleischer etc.It was a condensed TCM many years before TCM existed,he formed my fascination for classic films,my then girlfriend -for many years-nicknamed him 'my buddy'.Imo he was a better presenterand interviewer than Robert Osborne whom I always liked but was a couple of notches below Yost.Several years ago   I suggested to TCM on one of these boards or something to try to licensed the hundreds of interviews Yost made.He was unique and the best I have ever seen on tv.

Yep, was excellent show. Elwy did many interviews with Hollywood greats that were featured between films. Elwy's son, Graham, is a Hollywood screenwriter who has done much stuff: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham_Yost

• Like 2

Think because Halloween is end of October, mention should be made of David Cronenberg and his early horror/Sci-fi films like:

"Shivers"

Theycamefromwithin.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shivers_(1975_

"Rabid"

Rabid theatrical poster.jpg
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabid_(1977_film)

"The Brood"
Thebrood.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Brood

"Scanners"

Scanners.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scanners

"Videodrome"

Videodromeposter.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Videodrome

And there are more you can check out yourselves:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Cronenberg#Film

• Like 3
22 minutes ago, rjbartrop said:

It's tweaking my memory, but I'm going to have to do some digging.  I want to say it's a spinoff of The Beachcombers, but I'm not sure.

UPDATE:  " Adventures in Rainbow Country", and "Search and Rescue" sound close.  Either of those ring a bell?

No, the first one has a female lead, but the show was about a male phyisician. The second one is not it, either. If it helps at all, I do remember the show being rather flat and dull. Thanks for checking, though.

These little TV shows from long ago do interest me, because they are already mostly lost to time.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Ray Faiola said:

I once spent a half hour with a friend in Elwy Yost's office. He was just like the person you saw on television, unassuming and an enthusiast. He allowed us to do most of the talking about movies, however, and seemed to want to hear what we had to say. This was in the days of video tapes so we gave him copies of Along Came Jones and Northern Pursuit, both of which he gladly accepted. At the end of our meeting Elwy invited us to come to his home sometime for a beer. We thanked him but just assumed he was being polite. Years later, though, my friend was speaking to a friend of Yost's and when he mentioned the home invitation to him Yost's friend said that Elwy was a shy man so he probably meant it.

• Like 4
7 minutes ago, unwatchable said:

No, the first one has a female lead, but the show was about a male phyisician. The second one is not it, either. If it helps at all, I do remember the show being rather flat and dull. Thanks for checking, though.

These little TV shows from long ago do interest me, because they are already mostly lost to time.

Alas, flat and dull doesn't narrow it down much, but now you've got my curiosity piqued.

Could it possibly be Dr. Simon Locke?

Just now, rjbartrop said:

Alas, flat and dull doesn't narrow it down much, but now you've got my curiosity piqued.

Could it possibly be Dr. Simon Locke?  Apparently is was later renamed as Police Surgeon

8 minutes ago, rjbartrop said:

Could it possibly be Dr. Simon Locke?

Bingo! That's it. Thank you. 🙂

Per wiki:

Dr. Simon Locke (on-screen title is Doctor Simon Locke) is a Canadian medical drama that was syndicated to television stations in the United States from 1971 to 1974 through the sponsorship of Colgate-Palmolive.

29 minutes ago, TomJH said:

He was just like the person you saw on television, unassuming and an enthusiast.

I particularly remember his interview with Eddie Bracken and Bracken later told me (at a Sons banquet) that Yost was one of the nicest people he'd ever met.

By the way, back in the 80's, WLIW on Long Island ran several "The Moviemakers" programs featuring Elwe interviewing many Hollywood veterans. I managed to grab a few of these half-hour shows on Betamax.

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, Ray Faiola said:

I particularly remember his interview with Eddie Bracken and Bracken later told me (at a Sons banquet) that Yost was one of the nicest people he'd ever met.

By the way, back in the 80's, WLIW on Long Island ran several "The Moviemakers" programs featuring Elwe interviewing many Hollywood veterans. I managed to grab a few of these half-hour shows on Betamax.

It's  a shame that Elwy's interviews with film luminaries aren't more readily available. I recall the time he interviewed a very gracious Greer Garson at her New Mexico home and it became apparent that the two really liked one another, making the interview all the more enjoyable. I also recall the time that Otto Preminger was fascinated by Elwy's first name. "Elwy," he said, "What kind of a name is that?"

A few of Elwy's interviews can be found on You Tube. Here he is interviewing John Candy in character as Dr. Tongue from SCTV

• Like 2
1 hour ago, rjbartrop said:

The CBC used to play a lot of vintage movies in the afternoon.  It's where I got my fix before I discovered TCM.

I grew up in the Lower Mainland, so I remember CBUT well.  CTV, Canada's first private TV network, used to fill its schedule with a lot of ITV programming.   The cult favourite "The Prisoner" actually made its debut on CTV before it as shown in England.   Between that, and KVOS in Bellingham showing so many British films and sitcoms, I developed quite a fondness for British film and TV.

SCTV is a national treasure.  For an earlier generation,  Wayne and Shuster were Canadian comedy gold.

wayne_andshuster.jpeg

HA!  Loved those guys!  Would tune in on Windsor, Ont.'s CKLW  to see 'em.   And as a kid, would turn to that channel(9 here in the Detroit area) to see Johnny Weismuller TARZAN movies on their MILLION DOLLAR MOVIE broadcasts.  And later on catch the "classic" movie fare on channel 9's "Bill Kennedy Presents"  before Bill moved to channel 50 here in the states by '70.

And in another thread, already mentioned a couple kid's shows Me or my sister would watch.  That channel also had some guy doing BOZO the Clown in the late '60's too.

And I first caught "Second City"( how my TV listing book had it listed)  on Detroit's PBS station in the later '70's before the big U.S. NBC network took it on in '81.  

Sepiatone

• Like 1

Too far South to have watched Canadian TV, but my wife and I are watching some shows now.  We watched all of Motive when it was on and now are watching Frankie Drake on Ovation.   I watch Corner Gas on IMDb.

• Like 1