Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I mentioned this in the Dark Shadows thread, since it's a Canadian horror serial inspired by Dark Shadows. I never watched Dark Shadows but loved Strange Paradise, the Canadian series:

ep35-recreation.jpg?w=683

hqdefault.jpg

strangeparadise66.jpg

strange-paradise-tv-series.jpg?resize=34

• Like 3

Love these stories, super interesting.  Elwy Yost was indeed such a gent.  A sensitive interviewer, and so courtly and intellectually curious.   Another fixture of Canadian TV was Pierre Burton, who had a long journalistic career and was also a great interviewer.   Everybody came to his show.  For some reason, of all things, I'm remembering him talking to the late Joan Hackett, and them hitting it off in the interview.

Early SCTV ,   so wonderful.   I've had dual Canadian/American citizenship since birth, and root madly and equally for both countries.  Have a sneaking fondness for what I think of as that ultra-dry, frequently demented, subversive Canadian humor, having seen examples of it in my own family and schoolmates, etc.     Love Martin Short, that 'crazed elf' quality....   and the great, great, late and much-lamented Norm Macdonald, fabulous. 

• Thanks 1

CBC kids show "Coming Up Rosie" ran from 1975-1978. Starred Dan Aykroyd, John Candy, Catherine O'Hara, and others. Guest starred Eugene Levy, and others.

Dan Aykroyd was hired for "Saturday Night Live" about the same time and did both shows concurrently. Later same with Candy, O'Hara, Dave Thomas, and Levy doing early "SCTV" and this kids show at same time.

Video clip below:

https://m.facebook.com/cbc/videos/coming-up-rosie/913255779035787/?locale=eo_EO

That was, like, 40 years before Levy and O'Hara did "Schitt's Creek." Amazing.

Sister once interviewed Elwy Yost for a journalism school project. Very nice man.

• Thanks 1

I liked some of the mock TV shows that SCTV  would advertise that looked more interesting than what was really offered by U.S. networks.  Like----  ;) 

And their send-up of FANTASY ISLAND  with Joe Flaherty  and Dave Thomas doing a spot on impression of Hope and Crosby (Dave as Hope and Joe as Bing) 

Sepiatone

• Haha 2
17 hours ago, rjbartrop said:

Up here in the Great White North, we got to enjoy plenty of American Movies and TV,  but we had our share of local product,  so what figured prominently in the memories of the Canucks in the group?

I mentioned  in another thread that every Canadian of a certain age had both the themes to The Friendly Giant and Hockey Night in Canada burned into their memories.   I'd also suggest a fair number of them also know the lyrics to "Rocket Robin Hood" by heart.

Themes to Chez  Helene   and Mr.  Dressup.   Loved The Friendly Giant,  such a sweet gentle little show,  remember Rusty the Rooster and Jerome the Giraffe ?   And  "here's a rocking  chair,  for those who like to rock".   Embedded deep in my childhood memories,  for sure.

and yeah,  "dah dah dah dah dah DAH DAh  ! "  etc.  for Hockey Night in Canada,  heard it every Saturday night in the winter.  Cool tune,  I miss hearing it.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Ray Faiola said:

My visits to my in-laws in Ottawa were always augmented by watching Elwe Yost and his classic movie presentations. A genuine film enthusiast!

Oh yes,  lovable Elwy Yost and "Saturday Night at the Movies" ;  Elwy was showing classic ,  often rare old movies long before TCM was even a twinkle in Ted Turner's eye.  

What a great show that was,  I so looked forward to it.  Saw many great old movies for the first time on "Saturday Night at the Movies".  

Wasn't available to all Canadians,  just Ontario residents,  since it was a TVO production.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, TomJH said:

For the Comedy Iconoclasts of 'SCTV,' a Joyful Reunion Tinged With Loss -  The New York Times

SCTV, one of the best comedy shows on television is Canadian. Over the years I bumped into three of the cast in Toronto, two in a record store and one in a bar.

YAY,  SECOND CITY TV !!!    One of the funniest shows ever !   God,  this show used to make me laugh out loud.  I have very happy memories of watching it as a teenager.  My whole family loved it.   All those cast members,  so talented and clever.  

You were very fortunate to meet some of the cast,  especially in such a casual way.    ( hey, what records were they buying?  just kidding )

• Like 1
4 hours ago, RMeingast said:

CBC kids show "Coming Up Rosie" ran from 1975-1978. Starred Dan Aykroyd, John Candy, Catherine O'Hara, and others. Guest starred Eugene Levy, and others.

Dan Aykroyd was hired for "Saturday Night Live" about the same time and did both shows concurrently. Later same with Candy, O'Hara, Dave Thomas, and Levy doing early "SCTV" and this kids show at same time.

Video clip below:

https://m.facebook.com/cbc/videos/coming-up-rosie/913255779035787/?locale=eo_EO

That was, like, 40 years before Levy and O'Hara did "Schitt's Creek." Amazing.

Sister once interviewed Elwy Yost for a journalism school project. Very nice man.

RM,  thank you so much for mentioning   "Coming Up  Rosie",  I watched it devoutedly as a teenager,  and loved it.  It was so funny and different.  And yes,  all those actors in the show went on to become famous in other realms.  One of the main characters was played by Fiona Reid,  who although she did not a pursue television or film career per sec,  she developed a wonderful reputation as a fine stage actress, and appeared at the Shaw Festival and other respected theatres,  many in Toronto.

also,  don't forget to mention Catherine O' Hara,  who was also a cast member of "Coming Up Rosie",   and  of course,  like Eugene Levy,  starred in the highly acclaimed "Schitt's Creek". 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, uncle charlie said:

Growing up in a border town (Niagara Falls, NY), we had 3 Canadian stations. It seemed that “The Beachcombers” and “King of Kensington” were on all the time. I also saw a lot of David Suzuki.

Is it just my imagination,  or does star of "King of Kensington"  Al Waxman bear an unnerving resemblance to James "Tony Soprano" Gandolfini?

Al Waxman (1935-2001) - Find A Grave Memorial

"Hey,  I never whacked nobody."

2 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

I liked some of the mock TV shows that SCTV  would advertise that looked more interesting than what was really offered by U.S. networks.  Like----  ;) 

And their send-up of FANTASY ISLAND  with Joe Flaherty  and Dave Thomas doing a spot on impression of Hope and Crosby (Dave as Hope and Joe as Bing) 

Sepiatone

And ten years later......

MV5BMTE3MTE4MTctZGMwYi00ZmU3LWE3YjgtNDk1

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

YAY,  SECOND CITY TV !!!    One of the funniest shows ever !   God,  this show used to make me laugh out loud.  I have very happy memories of watching it as a teenager.  My whole family loved it.   All those cast members,  so talented and clever.  

You were very fortunate to meet some of the cast,  especially in such a casual way.    ( hey, what records were they buying?  just kidding )

I don't know if you remember the original introduction of SCTV, Miss W, in which the cast was introduced, ending with "And Dave Thomas as the Beaver,"

In any event I was in Sam the Record Man one day and recognized Catherine O'Hara looking at some records (no, I don't know which ones). She was by herself and no one else was paying any attention to her. This was in the early days of SCTV and I was already a fan but it's very likely many in the store probably wouldn't have known who she was, even if they noticed her. In any event I introduced myself and starting telling her how much I enjoyed the show when, suddenly, out of no where, Dave Thomas appeared beside her. "And there's the Beaver," I exclaimed. I hope I didn't prattle too much to them. I recall both of them smiling politely as I rambled, not really saying much, so I excused myself after a minute or so to let them resume their record hunting.

A few years later I was in a bar with a friend when I noticed Count Floyd (okay, it was really Joe Flaherty) sitting on a bar stool. I walked up to introduce myself and tell him how much I enjoyed his work as he turned to face me. At that moment, unfortunately, my friend, who was in a profoundly bad mood, returned from the washroom and gave me a shove in the chest telling me not to block her as she breezed past me to go outside.

Flaherty's eyes popped out of his head like a Tex Avery character as I lamely tried to tell him I didn't know who the lady was, In any event, the mood had been spoiled and it was too late to tell him how much I had enjoyed his work as Count Floyd was looking around to see if my friend was returning, appearing decidedly uncomfortable. So I made my exit to join her outside (she was in a mood for combat, but that's another story). In any event, I did, at least, get a "I saw Joe Flaherty in a bar" story out of it, anyway.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Damn,  Tom,  that's too bad that you didn't get a chance to talk to Mr. Flaherty,  a truly funny and talented man.  ( Guess your cranky friend didn't notice him,  or maybe wouldn't have recognized him regardless?  )

You've been quite lucky in that you've met several of my Canadian tv show heros,  including the ones you mention above,  plus the amiable Elwy Yost.  I'd have loved to have met him.

do you remember,   even before "Saturday Night at the Movies",  Elwy had a program that showed a segment of a movie every day for a week,  I believe it was aimed at kids and it was called "Passport to Adventure"  ?

6 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

Damn,  Tom,  that's too bad that you didn't get a chance to talk to Mr. Flaherty,  a truly funny and talented man.  ( Guess your cranky friend didn't notice him,  or maybe wouldn't have recognized him regardless?  )

You've been quite lucky in that you've met several of my Canadian tv show heros,  including the ones you mention above,  plus the amiable Elwy Yost.  I'd have loved to have met him.

do you remember,   even before "Saturday Night at the Movies",  Elwy had a show that showed a segment of a movie every day for a week,  I believe it was aimed at kids and it was called "Passport to Adventure"  ?

Passport to Adventure came on CBC and was my introduction to Elwy Yost and those studio era films he'd show. A movie was broken up into four or five parts throughout the week but that was okay with me. It was  studio era film awaiting me every day when I got home from school. When he later moved to TVO he had a similar half hour show on five times a week, this time called Magic Shadows. After that came his legendary Saturday Night at the Movies, often including interviews with stars, directors or film authorities that he met in LA or wherever he could find them. I will always have an indebtedness to Elwy Yost for introducing those films to me when I was young,

• Like 3

The Saturday Night at the Movies from TVO Ontario  was also available to Quebec residents also,I watched it for many years and I was living in Montreal,I do not know about the rest of Canada,I guess it depended on the cable provider. TFO the now French  equivalent has 2 or 3 uncut & no ads foreign movies every single night,it is amazing.It is with subtitles always  in original print and from all eras.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, nakano said:

Yes Saturday nights at the Movies on TV Ontario was my favorite tv show for many years.Animated by Elwy Yost he was an outstanding  movie historian i would call him. even if he was not in title For many years I watched the show  the length was 4-5 hours with 2-3 movies.Yost made multiples interviews in Hollywood etc with actors,producers,writers and directors like Robert Wise,R Fleischer etc.It was a condensed TCM many years before TCM existed,he formed my fascination for classic films,my then girlfriend -for many years-nicknamed him 'my buddy'.Imo he was a better presenterand interviewer than Robert Osborne whom I always liked but was a couple of notches below Yost.Several years ago   I suggested to TCM on one of these boards or something to try to licensed the hundreds of interviews Yost made.He was unique and the best I have ever seen on tv.

I read about what happened to those incredible Elwy Yost interviews when Elwy retired.  TVO did not wish to pay to archive them so they were all donated to the American Academy.

I've never seen anything like them since.  And he had hundreds of them.  Classic DOP's like Lee Garmes, Stanley Cortez, golden age actors and even stenographer assistants for the like of Preston Sturges who dictated all of his scripts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

MV5BY2ZiMTA3OGYtNjc4ZC00YmQ4LWI1YmYtOTJm

When I was 5 years old my grandmother took my cousin and I to a taping of the Bozo the Clown show in Toronto.  We were big fans of Bozo at the time.  But once at the studio I recall thinking that Bozo's set was rather small and pathetic.  It kind of put me off the 'magic' of the show!

I had not idea that the show was franchised and that there are many many Bozos.  (There was more than one Santa Claus?) ...

According to Larry Harmon Pictures Corp., 183 people played Bozo in cities all over the world. Every Bozo was schooled in the fine art of clownmanship at Bozo Boot Camp. When a Bozo made a public appearance, Harmon received half the fee. All Bozo characters would have to buy the costume exclusively from Harmon.

Mr-Dressup-70s-w-cf-clean.jpg

I worked at the CBC for a summer in 1975 and came across quite a few celebrities.  I recall seeing Ernie Coombs, who played Mr. Dressup.  He was in a stairwell smoking a cigarette and swearing his head off at no one in particular.  I guess he was just letting off some steam.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

de13b587-fdd3-43e2-9490-912eefb45cb9_768

Then there was Bobby Ash who had The Uncle Bobby Show that filmed at CFTO in Scarborough.  He was sort of a cheap Cockney Pearly King kid-show entertainer.

After his show had been cancelled a friend of mine used to see him come into the Beer Store every day for a 6 pack.  Another friend's mother bumped into him at a shopping mall at midday.  Poor Uncle Bobby was plastered.  He took one look at her and said ... " 'ello darlin'"

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Bogie56 said:

Then there was Bobby Ash who had The Uncle Bobby Show that filmed at CFTO in Scarborough.  He was sort of a cheap Cockney Pearly King kid-show entertainer.

After his show had been cancelled a friend of mine used to see him come into the Beer Store every day for a 6 pack.  Another friend's mother bumped into him at a shopping mall at midday.  Poor Uncle Bobby was plastered.  He took one look at her and said ... " 'ello darlin'"

I have to admit that I believe I watched that show as a kid...

Another CHCH TV show that starred Billy Van was "Party Game" and I watched that too:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Party_Game_(game_show)

Billy is wearing the blue suit in this old video. The others on his team are Jack Duffy and Dinah Christie:

Billy Van was born in Toronto and died there... Very talented man but he's largely been forgotten, I think, except with oldies like moi. He probably deserves to be on Canada's Walk of Fame in Toronto...

Wiki article on Billy Van here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Van

Met Al Waxman once in Toronto back in day, nice man. Watched "King of Kensington" on TV... Fiona Reid played his wife on show...

55 minutes ago, RMeingast said:

Holy Billy Van, we're really going down the rabbit hole here...

Often watched "The Hilarious House of Frightenstein" on Hamilton's CHCH as a kid.

Billy Van played Count Frightenstein, Fishka Rais played Igor, Vincent Price did the openings:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hilarious_House_of_Frightenstein

How could I forget about The Hilarious House of Frightenstein, with Billy Van playing a variety of spooky characters in makeup while having a campy time, in particular,  vamping vampires? I wouldn't be the warped person I am today without having feasted on that show for years after school.

• Like 1