Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A Night of Nancy Sinatra -- Be Still My Heart!

9 hours ago, overeasy said:

Up next, "A Swingin' Summer" with Gary Lewis and the Playboys.  Man oh man, it doesn't get any more groovy that this!

You know, at first, I thought all of the recent bizarre programming choices had to do with TCM's desperate attempt to lure younger viewers.  But, Nancy Sinatra isn't exactly the younger generation's cup of tea. (Is she anyone's?)  I'm beginning to think it's all about money.  (Duh . . . "Follow the money.") Instead of acquiring more Paramount, Universal or Columbia films from the 1930's - 1950's, purchase or lease substandard beach movies, etc. that used to play in the afternoon or late at night on local TV stations, then build a "theme" around them.  Who cares if nobody wants to see them?  They're cheap!

• Like 3
1 hour ago, lydecker said:

Instead of acquiring more Paramount, Universal or Columbia films from the 1930's - 1950's, purchase or lease substandard beach movies, etc. that used to play in the afternoon or late at night on local TV stations, then build a "theme" around them. 

These shouldn't be mutually exclusive options.  I'd like to see more films from the 1930s to 1950s (even though that period has surely produced its share of "substandard" films) and more beach movies.  For me, they're all part of the cinematic experience.  

• Like 3

I spent my childhood in the 60's so I'm particularly all too eager to relive a little of it from time to time.   (I may not be the only one around here).  But I really don't think that some 64-year-old guy up in New England is the solid gold demographic slot that any programmer would zoom in on.  

More often than not it seems the guests on the TCM intro's are out plugging a book or something, and their agents have simply found a willing showcase for them with Ben or Dave or Alicia, etc.  Not sure what the Nancy Sinatra connection to this was, though.  In the past she had some new stuff about Daddy that she was promoting.  Maybe they're planning a big saturation campaign to bring back Royal Crown Cola.  I'd buy that! 

But it all seems so scattershot, TCM's vaunted new approach to "C"lassic movies.  As a brand enhancer or builder I cannot figure out what they are trying to do with this.  So far it has all been "V-Day is coming" and I'm getting a little impatient to see what Jack Kruschen has in mind for VIP. 

• Like 4

I think the connection was Ben's uncle Tom Mankiewicz wrote the special Movin' With Nancy, although Ben denied knowing this ahead of time.   It said in big letters Written by TOM MANKIEWICZ, and Nancy is the one who brought it up.  I wouldn't buy a used car from him, let's put it that way.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
32 minutes ago, brianNH said:

IBut it all seems so scattershot, TCM's vaunted new approach to "C"lassic movies.  As a brand enhancer or builder I cannot figure out what they are trying to do with this.  

That's why I'm starting to think there is NO PLAN except to dump a bunch of "Who cares?" movies on the network and pretend they are "new classics."  

• Like 4
14 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

This whole "Movin' with Nancy"

LOL at Ben calling it "Move in With Nancy" during his discussion with Nancy.

BTW. . . Completely agree with your comments on the mid 60s.

• Like 2

Nancy:  "Ben, you are my hero!"  (he's now getting the worship spillover for RO from these aging stars)

A fun evening! (guilty pleasure-wise!)   

I loved MOVIN' WITH NANCY.    She looked fab in those groovy-yet-chic Jax fashions.  My favorite was that short khaki trenchcoat paired with black boots.  

FOR THOSE WHO THINK YOUNG was pretty bizarre.   I believe this was Nancy's first film and she unfortunately looked like an underfed chipmunk.  I didn't "get" Woody Woodbury -- a 1960's version of Kay Kyser -- very weird.

The pleasant surprise was THE LAST OF THE SECRET AGENTS, a vehicle for the comic duo  Marty Allen ("Hello Dere!") and Steve Rossi.  This movie actually anticipates the gags of Mel Brooks and the Zucker Brothers (AIRPLANE, etc.)  Harvey Korman hilarious as Nazi commander. Nancy looked terrific -- a real overhaul (blonde hair and perhaps chin implant) and she was adorable and sweet as restaurant owner Lou Jacobi's French daughter with a major crush on Steve Rossi.  Her role, though, is really just a cameo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I haven't seen Last of the Secret Agents since I was a kid at the drive-in. Zany is a good word.  You're right, she didn't get much screen time. It reminded me of The Man From UNCLE. Nancy Sinatra was in an episode that year (1966).

I loved all those 007 spoofs more than 007 movies. The next year was Come Spy With Me with Andrea Dromm from the National Airlines ads.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, unwatchable said:

Yes, "curate" and "aesthetic" have been discovered by the Twitter mob, and they are wearing out these terms and, usually, applying them incorrectly.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

I loved MOVIN' WITH NANCY.    She looked fab in those groovy-yet-chic Jax fashions.  My favorite was that short khaki trenchcoat paired with black boots.  

My personal fave rave was the sherbet-colored ensemble at the start of "This Town". 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, PhillyCinephile said:

My personal fave rave was the sherbet-colored ensemble at the start of "This Town". 

Every one of those outfits was a winner and Nancy wore them very well.

• Like 2

Re: Movin' With Nancy, I loved the orange coat with the pink hat and boots that she wore at one point. 

I love For Those Who Think Young.  I even own it on Blu Ray.  No, it's not the best teen movie, and Bob Denver's role is pretty bizarre, especially when he sings in the sand with his chin painted to look like a face... But I enjoy the film.  The plot doesn't matter.  Woody Woodbury wasn't that funny, but I love Paul Lynde.  Too bad the act wasn't built around him instead.  I've seen this movie multiple times, and I'm still trying to figure out if Pamela Tiffin's "uncles" were a couple, or brothers, or just friends. I know Woodbury's character was supposed to actually be Tiffin's uncle. James Darren is gorgeous and so was Tiffin! The entire film is pretty much a big Pepsi commercial, the title is even Pepsi's 1964 advertising slogan, but I don't care.  I enjoy the movie, I love Darren's bachelor pad, I enjoy the beach party antics.  I love the whole thing.   It was also fun to see a young Ellen Burstyn in this film. 

I think Nancy's first album is being re-released, I don't know if she plugged it at all during her appearance with Ben, but that could be why she was on TCM.  

It seems that TCM's recent programming choices is the source of some contention, but I've found myself watching more TCM live than usual.  I guess that just goes to show what type of person I am, apparently. Lol.  I'm looking forward to tomorrow's movie about the mutant baby. 

• Like 2

From Dictionary.com:

curate

[ noun kyoor-it; verb kyoor-eyt, kyoo-reyt ]

noun
1.    Chiefly British. a member of the clergy employed to assist a rector or vicar.
2.    any ecclesiastic entrusted with the cure of souls, as a parish priest.

verb (used with object), cu·rat·ed, cu·rat·ing.
1.  to take charge of (a museum) or organize (an art exhibit):to curate a photography show.

2.  to pull together, sift through, and select for presentation, as music or website content:“We curate our merchandise with a sharp eye for trending fashion,” the store manager explained.    (emphasis mine)

I was so, so grateful that the camera never did random movement behind Ben or Nancy. Maybe because they were in different places. But I was over the moon to see that. Even the squiggles behind them didn't move. If we see more of that, I will be very glad.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, slaytonf said:

From Dictionary.com:

Sounds like a dictionary of internet slang & emojis.

44 minutes ago, brianNH said:

"We curate our definitions with a sharp eye for trending fashion," the editor of the dictionary explained.  

"Curate definitions?" Oh brother.

• Like 2

I liked the MOVIN' WITH NANCY special.  Nice to mix things up a bit (I'd rather watch "Movin' With Nancy" again than see LAWRENCE OF ARABIA or BEN-HUR or DOCTOR ZHIVAGO or any other oft-shown L-O-N-G movies on the schedule). 

I don't mind beach party-ish movies; I don't turn them off when they air so that's a good thing.  Plus, they don't require a lot of thought to follow the plot.  Nothing 'heavy' here! 

(I'm still waiting to see if TCM will air the 'adult beach party' movie "Beach Blanket Bango"!  🙃  Have a groovy '60s 'time capsule' → 💊 ).

• Like 2

I can't wait for next months theme, Nancy Sinatra Goes Roller Skating.  Awesome!

To those who like her, fine, but let's face it, "Boots" was a novelty song which she barely sang.  She is something of an icon on that time, but she is no more talented than the equally iconic "Mr. Machine."

While Nancy Sinatra has had ties to TCM for some time now her acting career and acting ability was limited. She even admitted to not being that interested in it. I'm a child of the 1960's and, I'm sorry to say, Nancy Sinatra has always been in my mind - "Frank Sinatra's daughter, Nancy" Unlike say, Jane Fonda. Others probably feel differently. One wonders if her talent would have broke through had she not been Frank's daughter.

If we were being honest here I could think of at least 20 important actors from the 1960's or 1970's. None of whom TCM has ever had on and who could offer a culturally significant evening of their films and insights.

It wasn't an awful evening. But it wasn't a real "get" either. Movin' is a nice time capsule but none of the films were culturally significant. It was a cotton candy event.

I wouldn't want Charlie Tabish's job. Even with a library of the world's greatest films trying to program 6 hours of interesting material every evening has got to be a real chore sometimes. Especially after 25 years!

• Like 2

I loved MOVIN' WITH NANCY! It was like watching one long music video. 😄

Nancy was adorable in it. I like her easy-going style of singing (I wonder where she got that from 😉). She clearly had a good relationship with her father's contemporaries. I like when she speaks some of her lines during her songs. My favorite scene in the special was with her and Sammy Davis, Jr as a photographer. What a fun scene! The RC Cola commercials were fun, as well.

• Like 3