Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

NICE LITTLE DOUBLE FEATURE OF "MANNIX" TONIGHT (FRI.) ON FETV

lilypond

As much as I adore "Mannix",   the writing can be uneven.   I hate the episodes where he's trapped in a warehouse for the whole show (hubby likes those, though).   

A couple of non-warehouse ones tonight on FETV (323 on my DirecTv system):

10:00 p.m. Eastern--  "What Happened to Sunday"       One of my favorites.   Great opening with him being relentlessly chased.  Amnesia ensues,  turns out he was with a lovely auburn-haired Brit (Kate Woodville),  while danger hovers, etc.    Also has sturdy, adorable character player Milton Selzer.

11:00 p.m. Eastern--   "The Judas Touch"    Mannix collaborates with pal Robert Lansing, a police chief who may have a renegade officer on the force.   Love charismatic Lansing and Mike Connors together, collegially knitting their brows over this one.   And bonus, this one also has Forties' glam star Ruth Roman, playing one tough cookie!   It's so great the way "Mannix" recruited so many "mature" stars of classic Hollywood.        

• Like 1

LUCKYDAN,  you read my mind!   Me too!   At the moment, I can only vaguely remember one episode where they used it, I think it was the "lair" of some crooks or something, but clearly recognizable as the Brady house.  And maybe they used it other times?

It fits with Robert Reed being lent out to "Mannix" at times, to play "Lt. Tobias".   I read that he liked to do that, since he was less than enchanted with his Brady Bunch role--  must have been a relief to be a tough, smart cop!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lilypond said:

LUCKYDAN,  you read my mind!   Me too!   At the moment, I can only vaguely remember one episode where they used it, I think it was the "lair" of some crooks or something, but clearly recognizable as the Brady house.  And maybe they used it other times?

It fits with Robert Reed being lent out to "Mannix" at times, to play "Lt. Tobias".   I read that he liked to do that, since he was less than enchanted with his Brady Bunch role--  must have been a relief to be a tough, smart cop!

I watch Mannix on MeTV deep night, or I should say it's on the tv screen while I am reading or practicing guitar or whatever, but I see the Brady set often. I think they used Mike's den the other night, with things rearranged but still that space. I've seen the patio with the sliding glassless door in the background. The entryway. 

I saw Robert Reed the other night, telling Mannix to be careful, the same way he would warn Greg to drive safely. 

• Like 1

How could I have ever forgotten Gloria Grahame appeared on Mannix, MR. GORMAN?   I'll have to pull out my DVDs,  and find and watch "Duet for Three" again.   It was also really fun when noir great Marie Windsor played a not-so-inconsolable widow on Mannix too...

Some  people may know this already,  but FETV  shows Mannix late at night  on  the weekends from 1 to 3  am.

It's also fun to see 'Frank  Burns' in early episodes. Either  he  had more  hair  or  a better rug.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I was watching a color episode of THE FUGITIVE a few hours ago and I noted the 'street set' from this episode of "The Fugitive" looks very much like the 'street set' used for multiple episodes of "Mannix".  You can tell it's the same street set. 

• Haha 1

The same thought has occurred to me, MR. GORMAN.   The most recent "Fuge" I watched in color was the one set in an unnamed large city with Madlyn Rhue and her nutcake brother, Robert Drivas.   While somewhat ersatz, you could at least imagine it as being New York, with the sort of brownstone buildings, etc.    The same set or similar pops up on "Mannix",  yet to me looks so fake, since on Mannix, it is supposed to be 70's era downtown Los Angeles....

But it's "Mannix",  so all is forgiven. 

• Like 1

That is nice of you to post that, NIPKOWDISC!    I didn't know he ever appeared on "Lucy".   Mike Connors was such a good sport, gamely going along with the shenanigans and broad slapstick--   love him.   Your point about the office, so true.  He has that beautiful Spanish revival office/apartment, but crooks can easily walk right in and often did--  it didn't seem fair to Peggy, who was often there all alone, holding down the fort. 

Jacqueline Susann was  in an episode a few  weeks ago. She had a limited career as  an actress  before  she became a famous  writer.

This was one of  her last TV appearances. I read  it  was  Lucy who decided  to  switch Mannix  from working at  the big computer

firm to  a private detective on his own. Probably a good move. 

• Like 1

In  season  one  episode  seven  Warning:  Live  Blueberries,  Mannix is  out  to find  someone missing  daughter.  The  cast for  this  episode  are  Brooke  Bundy,  Tom  Skerritt,  Robert  Emhardt  and  Valora  Noland.  What  made  this  episode  special  it  had  the  classic rock  group  Buffalo  Springfield  in it.  Neil  Young,  Richie  Furay  and  Stephen  Stills  were  all  were playing  their  music  in  this  episode.

• Like 2

One thing I've noticed about a couple of old color television series:  The day-for-night shooting is definitely more obvious when the original film prints were remastered and digitally 'cleaned up'.  MANNIX has a frequent amount of night scenes that are mostly shot "day-for-night" but it wouldn't have been so obvious watching on 1960s and 70s television sets with the somewhat-grainy film prints of the time.  But it is now! 

HOGAN'S HEROES also had frequent day-for-night shooting and it's just as obvious on that show, too. 

CANNON has not been remastered -- at least, the episodes shown at 3 AM Eastern on MeTv are not.  You can see the difference easily when you watch MANNIX and 2 AM and then see CANNON at 3 AM.  The original "Cannon" film prints look to have simply been copied over to digital with out any clean-up. 

KOLCHAK: THE NIGHT STALKER was like that, too, but now Kino-Lorber has issued the series on Blu-Ray with all the digital cleanups the previous disc release did not have.  → Of all the series that didn't NEED a digital clean-up  "Kolchak" is Number #1.  1974/75-era television-level special effects on a limited budget are /passable/ when you watch Kolchak on an old film print ported over to digital with no alterations . . . on the Blu-Ray disc now on sale from Kino-Lorber I shudder to think how fake those low-budget SFX 'look' now in Hi•Def. 

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings