Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

mabelnormand1930

Though she won an Oscar, I must confess I had her confused with another actress. Don't think I'll reveal the specifics of my screw-up at this particular time. It might give me away as too much of a poseur on here. Anyway, looking over her film resume, it appears the only thing I've seen her in is Rome, Open City, about which I remember little. So .... not going to be much help here, but you seemed so earnest, I wanted there to be a reply to your post.

• Thanks 1

I like her and think she was a very good actress.  She struggled a bit in The Fugitive Kind because Brando kept mumbling his lines, knowing that she wasn't fluent in the language.   This enraged Tennessee Williams who was a good friend of hers, but Brando claimed she kept sexually harassing him.   He was not exactly Prince Charming so who knows...

• Like 2

I've seen few of her films-  only Rome, Open City, The Fugitive Kind  and The Rose Tattoo come immediately to mind. She seems like a very fine actress. Regarding Brando's behavior during filming of The Fugitive Kind- I have no problem believing it. There's the story about Brando in the filming of The Godfather; In his wedding day scenes with actor Lenny Montana (Luca Brasi), Brando put a post-it note on his forehead, so that when the nervous Montana was trying to speak his lines, he was looking at Brando who had an eff you on his face. Nice, huh?

48 minutes ago, Katie_G said:

I  Brando claimed she kept sexually harassing him.   

This is true,she took the role to be 'near him,"and she was upset because he rejected her advances,something she was not used to.She was a great actress in many films:Mamma Roma,the Golden Coach,The Rose Tatoo and many others.

4 hours ago, nakano said:

This is true,she took the role to be 'near him,"and she was upset because he rejected her advances,something she was not used to.She was a great actress in many films:Mamma Roma,the Golden Coach,The Rose Tatoo and many others.

I wouldn't have rejected her, not many agree but I found her to be very sexy.

• Sad 1

Some of her best American films were made at Paramount which means they seldom air on TCM.

Such as THE ROSE TATTOO and WILD IS THE WIND (worth seeing).

One of her last big films was THE SECRET OF SANTA VITTORIA which reunited her with Anthony Quinn, her costar from WILD IS THE WIND. They liked working together.

George Cukor who directed her in WILD IS THE WIND was said not to be a fan...he found her coarse and not as refined as the actresses he preferred working with. I think she was probably a little too bold for people. But she was a great actress.

• Like 1

from the Guardian in 2002 Brando later wrote that Magnani attacked him physically. Building on a wild kiss, she put a bite on the actor. She was drawing him towards bed and he - poor lad - escaped only by pinching her nose until she freed him. One monster wrestling another. During the filming of The Rose Tatoo :Lancaster claimed Magnani was directing him, upstaging him, and intimidating him by forgetting to bathe. Her rueful eyes widened, she assured the world she adored Burt. She took him off one night and did all that a woman could to reassure his ego. Then she told anyone ready to listen that he wasn't much to speak of in that department.' I have read in a book  Ido not remember which one_I have too many- her hygiene was so so. It is a vague memory but it might be very true unless I mixed it with the Lancaster account. of their filming together

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, Katie_G said:

I like her and think she was a very good actress.  She struggled a bit in The Fugitive Kind because Brando kept mumbling his lines, knowing that she wasn't fluent in the language.   This enraged Tennessee Williams who was a good friend of hers, but Brando claimed she kept sexually harassing him.   He was not exactly Prince Charming so who knows...

I never heard this. Sexually harassing  MB? LOL! He must have been stuck on himself.😁

The OP wasn't impressed enough to spell her name correctly?

I've loved Anna Magnani from the moment I laid eyes on her. Her presence elevates any movie she's in. I would not be surprised if she employed all sorts of acting tricks on a set- for some, it may be key for immersing in the role.  

As for "bathing" remember, European aesthetics are different from American aesthetics. I am forever amazed at the bombardment of stinky chemical "fragrances" Americans use in every aspect of daily life- from personal products to dryer sheets. 

I've always struggled with pronouncing her name correctly. At first I said the clunky, "Mag-NON-ee" until I heard an Italian director say "Mag-na-NEE" which sounds much better.

Can't imagine her as a showgirl:

740full-anna-magnani.jpg

Her gorgeous granddaughter Olivia bears a striking resemblance:

eaeb82677c0966ab9b56fe9037939c14.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Tennessee Williams wanted Anna Magnani to play Serafina in The Rose Tattoo on Broadway. He was so keen on her, he went to Italy to try to convince her. He was unsuccessful, and Maureen Stapleton played the role, with Eli Wallach as Alvaro. Strangely, both Maureen and Eli won Tony Awards, but in the Featured Actress and Actor categories.

Eli_Wallach_and_Maureen_Stapleton_-_1951

• Like 3

13 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Anna Magnani, great actress. I love The RoseTattoo. She deserved that Oscar for Best Actress as Serafina. I don't think TCM has shown the film in awhile, wish they would.

According to the moviecollectoroh.com website, "The Rose Tattoo" has only been shown 6 times on TCM (in 27 years).  Last time was May, 2014.  Prior to that, it was shown in June, 2005.  That film was the first time I saw Anna Magnani on screen.  It was shown on the CBS Late Show back in the early 1970's (I think).  Back then, only ABC and NBC had talk show-type programs like "The Tonight Show" and "The Joey Bishop Show".  CBS showed movies at 10:30.  After that, the St. Louis affiliate would show one or two classic movies in the wee hours of the morning and would usually go 'off-air' for just 30 to 90 minutes before beginning the next day's programming.

I always liked Magnani and her performances.  Thanks to TCM, I've been exposed to more of her work.  Unfortunately for her and other Italian actresses, they seem to fly under the radar due to the popularity and talent of Sophia Loren.   That's not a knock on Loren.  I like her work too, but it is a shame that others in her field seem to get overlooked for their performances.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings