Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

STANWYCK OR DAVIS? BOTH? NEITHER?

38 minutes ago, Capuchin said:

June Bride (1948) is the lightest movie I've seen starring Davis. It's a good movie because of Montgomery. 

Generally, I consider movies with Davis as women's movies.  Stanwyck movies are all over the map.

I do like Davis in  The Man Who Came to Dinner.  We watch it every Christmas.  However, I like Ann Sheridan's performance in it more.

• Like 3
On 10/11/2021 at 2:52 PM, lydecker said:

Excellent topic, Lilypond and it certainly got me thinking about why I think Stanwyck absolutely gets the "Better Actress" nod over Davis.  To me, Davis is a Star who Acts while Stanwyck is an Actress who is a Star.  Barbara Stanwyck always seems to "become" her characters while, particularly from the 1940's on, Bette Davis is generally playing a variation on the Bette Davis  character.  I also think Barbara Stanwyck is equally gifted in both dramas and comedies while Bette Davis is (for me) not as compelling in comedies.   Stanwyck was somewhat of a revelation for me.  Prior to TCM, I had only seen her more famous films  --  Double Indemnity, The Lady Eve, etc.  And, of course, like any good baby boomer, I knew her from The Big Valley.  When I discovered more of her early work  --  Baby Face, Stella Dallas, Ball of Fire, etc. I was totally hooked.  Don't get me wrong, I love Bette Davis but, for me. Stanwyck is, always and ever,  #1 on my Best Actress List.

Yes, yes and yes. You stated my thoughts exactly, LYDECKER.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
On 10/11/2021 at 4:15 PM, lilypond said:

I think I read that Bette at first approved Jim Davis as the young military hero in "Winter Meeting";   then she soured on him and made denigrating comments about him.   I suppose the majority critical opinion is that he wasn't up to the part, or certainly 'up to' Bette.  But, while maybe not ideal casting, I think his 'green' quality and slight awkwardness work in his favor in the part.   In any event, there was an unmistakable chemistry in their scenes together.

One of the personal qualities of Davis, the way she would make scathing remarks about others, always bothers me.  She may have felt ill-used by Hollywood, and her talent was so much bigger than a lot of what she was dealing with.  But those gratuitous jabs she would make, put me off.

Loved John Hoyt as Bette's often caustic and catty, but affectionate platonic male pal in the film;  Hoyt is an excellent character player, also great in "The Big Combo". 

Bette Davis was forever criticizing her co-star Errol Flynn for his performance in 1939's The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex.  Many years later, after Flynn's death, she watched the movie on TV and stated that Errol was a lot better than she had remembered, in fact he was very good.  Upon hearing this, the late Flynn's wife, Patrice Wymore, said in an interview on TCM that she wished Errol could have heard her comment as it would have meant so much to him.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, filmnoirguy said:

Bette Davis was forever criticizing her co-star Errol Flynn for his performance in 1939's The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex.  Many years later, after Flynn's death, she watched the movie on TV and stated that Errol was a lot better than she had remembered, in fact he was very good.  Upon hearing this, the late Flynn's wife, Patrice Wymore, said in an interview on TCM that she wished Errol could have heard her comment as it would have meant so much to him.

Yes, Errol was a lot better in ELIZABETH AND ESSEX than Bette gave him credit for. I am glad Bette rescinded her original opinion and gave credit where credit is due.

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Yes, Errol was a lot better in ELIZABETH AND ESSEX than Bette gave him credit for. I am glad Bette rescinded her original opinion and gave credit where credit is due.

Even though I love Bette, I think she overplays her hand somewhat in Elizabeth and Essex.  I think Errol outshines her.  Flora Robson, Errol's Elizabeth I in The Sea Hawk, was much better than Davis, imo. 

• Like 3
Just now, speedracer5 said:

Even though I love Bette, I think she overplays her hand somewhat in Elizabeth and Essex.  I think Errol outshines her.  Flora Robson, Errol's Elizabeth I in The Sea Hawk, was much better than Davis, imo. 

I thought Davis did a fine job as Queen Elizabeth, though I do appreciate Flora Robson's interpretation as well.

But, when all is said and done, my personal favorite onscreen Elizabeth Tutor will always be Glenda Jackson in 1971'S MARY, QUEEN OF SCOTS.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

I thought Davis did a fine job as Queen Elizabeth, though I do appreciate Flora Robson's interpretation as well.

But, when all is said and done, my personal favorite onscreen Elizabeth Tutor will always be Glenda Jackson in 1971'S MARY, QUEEN OF SCOTS.

Bette is too fidgety for me.  She's good though, don't get me wrong.  I love her costumes.  Robson was much more subdued. Lol. 

• Like 1