Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Question for Star Trek heads or art experts

On 10/10/2021 at 2:45 AM, LuckyDan said:

What is the name of the saloon painting in the OK Corral episode? Is it a historical piece or was it made for the TV show?

A similar (not the same) piece of art is used in Star Trek Voyager, The Killing Game. Over the bar in the French occupation.

I'm guessing somebody likes making those paintings to be used in the bar scenes; seems like a specialized art form, if so.

Talk about niche a market.

"What do you do?"

"I make salacious artwork, shown in backgroumds of SciFi television shows."

• Like 2

There are companies the rent out props, including paintings, so you're probably not that far off.    Desilu did make a number of Westerns, so I'm going to guess it might be borrowed from the prop department of one of those?

Here's a list of Westerns either produced by Desilu, or using Desilu facilities from Wikipedia.  Maybe it'll jog someone's memory.

The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp

The Adventures of Jim Bowie

The Texan

Yancy Derringer

• Like 1
1 hour ago, rjbartrop said:

There are companies the rent out props, including paintings, so you're probably not that far off.    Desilu did make a number of Westerns, so I'm going to guess it might be borrowed from the prop department of one of those?

Here's a list of Westerns either produced by Desilu, or using Desilu facilities from Wikipedia.  Maybe it'll jog someone's memory.

The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp

The Adventures of Jim Bowie

The Texan

Yancy Derringer

Desilu also inherited RKO's complete prop department when they bought their studio facilities.  It could date back to RKO.  There was a rather contrived Westinghouse/Desilu promotional film (intended for Westinghouse execs, the network and affiliates) in 1958 with Lucy and Desi giving a tour of their various studio properties to a "Westinghouse" rep (played by Ross Elliot), and at one point they take a little tour of one of the prop departments.   It kicked off the partnership between Westinghouse and Desilu after Westinghouse agreed to sponsor the Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse (which later spawned The Twilight Zone and The Untouchables).  Though Twilight Zone wasn't produced or filmed by Desilu, and the Serling Playhouse episode wasn't strictly a pilot,  the Playhouse episode convinced CBS that Serling had something with his concept and enabled the development of that series.

• Like 3