Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Talking back at the screen

15 hours ago, Dargo said:

And now speaking of "commercials" AND characters in movies who make poor choices (or choices you and I or anyone with any sense at all would never make) and thus is something which will elicit these "yelling at the screen" type of responses in many cases, this has reminded me of the following clever (well okay, at least more clever than 95% of most commercials are anyway) Geico insurance commercial which is currently being run on TV quite a bit, and which plays off this very thought...

One of my all time favorite commercials! Run for the cemetery! 😄

Sure.  I talk and sometimesscream at the TV screen, like during FAMILY FEUD or some political stuff.  But never in a movie theater.  But I've heard plenty of others in theaters do so, but the most memorable one was whhen we went to see BACK TO THE FUTURE when it came out('85)

At the part whereMarty tells he 1955 Doc Brown that he was from 1985, the Doc, at first, doesn't believe him.  Then asks, "OK, future boy, who's president in 1985?"  And Marty answers with slight reluctance,  "Ronald Reagan".  To which Doc Brown, with loud disbelief shouts, "What!  The ACTOR?"   then asks, "Then who's VICE PRESIDENT,  JERRY LEWIS??"  :D 

Without missing a beat, some guy from across the theater from us yells, "Close ENOUGH!"  (referring of course, to Geoge H.W. Bush.)  :lol:

Sepiatone

• Haha 2

When I saw Pulp Fiction in the theater, just as Eric Stolz plunged the needle into Uma Thurman's heart, the guy across the aisle stood up and let out a blood-curdling scream.  I think everyone in the theater jumped about 10 feet.  I know I did!

• Like 2

I can't think a movie right now but my first thought to mind was this:

If I had been Hank [Breaking Bad ] I would never have made it to the end of the story. I would have been jailed for murder. His wife must the Golden Award of All Time for being the most Aggravating Beyotch NAG in the History of Screen. At one point after some profuse yelling at the screen I bellowed, "If you say 'case closed' one more time ... "  And I don't blame it on the character. The actress (who shall go unnamed due to lack of respect) was the agony.  A most glorious scene actually occurred. She at her worst while nagging, nagging, nagging, at her sister when the sister finally yelled back, to wit : "Shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up , shut up..." and at least that many times, no kidding. One of the most gratifying scenes ever. I was fairly overwhelmed with joy. I would have performed cartwheels if I had known how do to it. so I did a few back flips instead. Seriously folks, she was hell. And she was in so many episodes. Torture.

Back in 1972, on a double date, watching "The Valachi Papers" in a NYC theater from the balcony, the Mafia boss, Vito Genovese seeks revenge on the low-level mobster whose been having it off with his mistress while he was in exile in Italy.  Genovese's henchmen proceeds to cut off the offender's private parts.

I couldn't help but yell "DON'T DO IT GOD***IT!"  as the audience broke out in laughter.

• Haha 1
6 hours ago, laffite said:

His wife must the Golden Award of All Time for being the most Aggravating Beyotch NAG in the History of Screen.

I haven't seen the series, but I had acquaintances tell me they found both the character and actress much improved in the final season.

7 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

I haven't seen the series, but I had acquaintances tell me they found both the character and actress much improved in the final season.

I don't seem to remember that. With characters like that the only way for improvement is to stop breathing.

• Haha 1

Something that drives me crazy is when someone is fighting for their life and their companion just stands there frozen or cowering in a corner.  I'm thinking "You know, the odds of surviving this would increase dramatically if only you'd help!  If you don't want to get too close, pick up that shovel and give him a good whack, for god's sake!"

RecklessMoment.jpg.f6d034a9b27ee5f428893673b0d612da.jpg

James Mason, Joan Bennett in The Reckless Moment

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This reminds me.....while watching SAVING PRIVATE RYAN (SPOILERS here):

Upham stays behind downstairs, frozen with fright, while upstairs Mellish is fighting a losing battle-to-the-death with a SS soldier...my friends were screaming at the TV 'Get up there you dumb*** and help him!"....Upham does no such thing. The SS finishes off Mellish, goes downstairs, looks at Upham with an indifferent look and walks past him. 

Upham became the most hated man from that moment on with my audience, needless to say. 

Ooh!  I've got a couple.  I can't stand whiners.  If a character is being overly dramatic and whiney, it's hard for me to not yet at the screen, "PULL YOURSELF TOGETHER!!!"

I can't stand "Gone with the Wind" and "A Streetcar Named Desire".

There's another movie that I do like, but I can't stand the whiney character.  It's called "New Morals for Old" (1932).  Tbh, it's not a good movie, but I love it anyway.  The main, young woman character decides to move in with her married boyfriend and breaks her parents hearts.  She can't handle the stress of it.  I just want to scream at her, "NO $HIT SHERLOCK!  HOW DID YOU THINK YOUR PARENTS WOULD REACT?  GROW UP!"

3 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Upham does no such thing. The SS finishes off Mellish, goes downstairs, looks at Upham with an indifferent look and walks past him. 

Upham became the most hated man from that moment on with my audience, needless to say. 

Doesn't he shoot the guy later in the movie? Or am I imagining that? Not much help for the other guy by that point, but ...

1 hour ago, sewhite2000 said:

Doesn't he shoot the guy later in the movie? Or am I imagining that? Not much help for the other guy by that point, but ...

That was Steamboat Willie, the German guy who Captain Miller allowed to go free after Wade's death, hoping he'd be captured by an American Unit, but apparently, and unfortunately for Miller, Willie's own guys found him first.

Upham ends up shooting Willie in revenge for Willie's gunning down Miller.

The SS who killed Mellish is a completely different man.

• Thanks 1