Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ingrid Bergman as SOTM December 2021

I hope we see some comedy, because I think she was a very deft comedienne when the role called for it. I like Cactus Flower, but I adore Indiscreet with Cary Grant, in which she effortlessly handled the sophisticated wit and visual style. I'm also in the mood for Notorious again. I've mentioned it in a past thread but I think she did one of the best jobs of playing drunk of any actor I can remember. She didn't go for the usual slurring of words; it was as though her thinking and mental state were slurred and compromised. Brilliant.

• Like 5
26 minutes ago, DougieB said:

I hope we see some comedy, because I think she was a very deft comedienne when the role called for it. I like Cactus Flower, but I adore Indiscreet with Cary Grant, in which she effortlessly handled the sophisticated wit and visual style. I'm also in the mood for Notorious again. I've mentioned it in a past thread but I think she did one of the best jobs of playing drunk of any actor I can remember. She didn't go for the usual slurring of words; it was as though her thinking and mental state were slurred and compromised. Brilliant.

Nice post and one I agree with;    so no one has been able to get access to the SOTM schedule so we know which films will be shown?

• Like 2

I always enjoy INGRID BERGMAN.  She is endlessly watchable and hell yeh, let's see NOTORIOUS again!   I love THE YELLOW ROLLS ROYCE because of her third of it. 

INGRID BERGMAN is the only reason to look at the SPENCER TRACY  JEKYLL/HYDE... it sure ain't LANA.    

INDISCREET is a delight.  Despite its problems, I even enjoy INN OF THE SIXTH HAPPINESS

She is at the top of my list of Lady Movie Stars.

• Like 3

1st of December & 2nd of December

GASLIGHT (1944)
CASABLANCA (1942)
DR. JEKYLL AND MR. HYDE (1941)
SARATOGA TRUNK (1945)
RAGE IN HEAVEN (1941)
THE COUNT OF THE OLD TOWN (1934)
SWEDENHIELMS (1935)
WALPURGIS NIGHT (1935)
INTERMEZZO (1936)
A WOMAN’S FACE (1938)
DOLLAR (1938)

8th of December & 9th of December

(not all filled in)

STROMBOLI (1950)
EUROPA ’51 (1952)
JOURNEY TO ITALY (1954)
FEAR (1954)

15th of December & 16th of December

(not all filled in)
ANASTASIA (1956)
THE INN OF THE SIXTH HAPPINESS (1958)
ELENA AND HER MEN (1956)
THE YELLOW ROLLS ROYCE (1964)

***They are skipping a week to do a marathon of holiday films.***

29th & 30th of December

(not all filled in)

FROM THE MIXED-UP FILES OF MRS. BASIL E. FRANKWEILER (1973)
AUTUMN SONATA (1978)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
40 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

STROMBOLI (1950)

That is a stark downer of a film... like others of ROSSELILNI of that time,  painful stories of displacement.  I don't think I'd recommend it to everybody... maybe nobody.   Fascinating, but not comfortable. 

45 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

GASLIGHT (1944)

This film is so well remembered, that it's title has been verbalized... GASLIGHT remains fascinating not only for INGRID, but CHARLES BOYER as a villain !  (Love him too.)

The Human Voice 1966 a 50 minutes film for UK tv. From a play by Jean Cocteau .Directed by Ted  Kotcheff produced by Lars Schmidt.  Ingrid Bergman is riveting in this monologue performance of a heartbroken woman on the phone with her former lover. To me it is the absolute acting performance by Bergman. It was redone this year by Pedro Almendovar and in 2014 with Sophia Loren directed by her son (it was showed on TCM) .I hope TCM  will do the extra mile to get and show this fantastic performance,there is some empty spots in the  schedule it would be a gift  for her fans and a great  film to add to the tribute.

bergman.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/22/2021 at 2:24 PM, TopBilled said:

Speaking of Ingrid's TV work, her last significant role had her play Golda Meir in the 1982 telefilm A WOMAN CALLED GOLDA.

She won an Emmy for it, which I believe had to be awarded posthumously.

A fascinating later film was Vincente Minnelli's A Matter of Time (1976), in which she played an older woman with only a tenuous connection to her past and present. It was kind of a messy film, at least somewhat attributable to Minnelli's declining mental state, but Ingrid Bergman was luminous and the film should be seen for at least that. Also, it was Charles Boyer's final movie.

• Like 1

A Matter of Time also included Liza with a Z Minnelli and Isabella Rossellini (in a small role).  I wish that TCM would/ could do tv movies since some of these stars have some great performances in them esp later in their careers, 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

No Notorious;  This is a Hitchcock film that due to copyright issues is very difficult to lease.

Difficult or expensive?

I've been going through the discs I made back in the mid-2010s and I recorded NOTORIOUS and INDISCREET from TCM broadcasts. I guess I was lucky to record NOTORIOUS, not realizing how 'rare' an opportunity it was!

• Like 1
On 11/3/2021 at 3:05 PM, ladyday93 said:

A Matter of Time also included Liza with a Z Minnelli and Isabella Rossellini (in a small role).  I wish that TCM would/ could do tv movies since some of these stars have some great performances in them esp later in their careers, 

The caveat here would be if we're talking a Star of the Month entry. I know that the channel's focus is on film but I think carefully selected tv movies or an tv episode they starred in for the Star of the Month, when it highlights their later career, would be something for TCM to consider. For example Lucille Ball did a decent tv movie called Stone Pillow which should've been shown last month. Dick Powell, Charles Boyer, David Niven and Ida Lupino (?) put together Four Star Productions and ran an anthology show called Four Star Theatre which feature many classic age film actors. And yeah there's the Loretta Young Show...

• Like 1