Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Runyonesque Films

I am a big fan of Damon Runyon's short stories. In fact, my username comes from the name created for the unnamed narrator of Runyon's stories, for use in the "Damon Runyon Theater" radio show! My avatar is of George Chandler who I think would have been PERFECT to play Broadway, should there have been a film adaptation to include that character. Ah, if only, if only!

Anyway, slowly I am working my way through the films I know of that are based on Runyon's stories (as listed here). Some of them have been impossible to find, though! (As a Robert Young fan, I am dying to see "The 3 Wise Guys" (1936), but I cannot find it anywhere! Argh!) The following are the ones I have seen this far.

• Guys and Dolls (1955)
  • Lady for a Day (1933)
  • Pocketful of Miracles (1961)
  • A Slight Case of Murder (1938)
  • Midnight Alibi (1934)
  • The  Big Street (1942)

I would also like to see films that are not necessarily adapted from Runyon's stories, but have that same Runyonesque quality, such as "Three Men on a Horse" (1936). Does anyone have any recommendations for films like that? Give me some comedic stories about gangsters, horseplayers, and bookies! :)Thanks, friends!

6 hours ago, _Broadway_ said:

Thanks for the recommendation! I'll look for that one!

Practically all the Abbott & Costello films have been issued on home video. You can probably find a copy of IT AIN'T HAY at a public library. I've also seen it on YouTube.

• Like 1
On 10/15/2021 at 5:31 PM, TopBilled said:

Practically all the Abbott & Costello films have been issued on home video. You can probably find a copy of IT AIN'T HAY at a public library. I've also seen it on YouTube.

Oh, perfect! I just found it on YouTube. :)

• Like 1