Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Nikki Haley elected to Clemson University Board

Former S.C. governor and former UN ambassador Nikki Haley has been appointed to the Clemson University Board.  Even though Clemson is a state school and supported with taxpayer money, due to a condition contained in the transfer of land from Thomas Clemson in 1888, the Clemson Board gets to elect its own members.  Neither the governor, legislature nor taxpayers of S.C. have any say so in the matter.  The land was inherited from Clemson's father-in-law, John C. Calhoun and was actually Calhoun's plantation.  Clemson served as an officer in the Confederate Army.

Haley lives on a resort island with multi-million dollar homes near Charleston, S.C.   She did graduate from Clemson.

Is this part of her plan to raise her chances to be nominated for the presidential nomination in 2024?  Will she resign if she runs for it?  Or is is recognition on her part that she has little to no chance at the nomination or that Trump will definitely run in 2024?

2 hours ago, ElCid said:

Former S.C. governor and former UN ambassador Nikki Haley has been appointed to the Clemson University Board.  Even though Clemson is a state school and supported with taxpayer money, due to a condition contained in the transfer of land from Thomas Clemson in 1888, the Clemson Board gets to elect its own members.  Neither the governor, legislature nor taxpayers of S.C. have any say so in the matter.  The land was inherited from Clemson's father-in-law, John C. Calhoun and was actually Calhoun's plantation.  Clemson served as an officer in the Confederate Army.

Haley lives on a resort island with multi-million dollar homes near Charleston, S.C.   She did graduate from Clemson.

Is this part of her plan to raise her chances to be nominated for the presidential nomination in 2024?  Will she resign if she runs for it?  Or is is recognition on her part that she has little to no chance at the nomination or that Trump will definitely run in 2024?

Trump has made clear he will run again and has already started to attack other GOP pols like Florida's DeSantis.     So there is little to no downside with out of work,  GOP pols taking on other duties while they wait in the wings.  

Their only other option is  to join up with the Liz Cheney wing of the GOP and attack Trump as the traitor that he is.   But since this tactics isn't like to work and they are generally cowards when it comes to taking on Trump,  they just take a backseat.

I do believe Liz Cheney will run in the GOP Presidential Primary.    Maybe Paul Ryan.    But again,  at this stage with the current GOP it doesn't matter;  Trump will win the GOP nomination unless something major happens (mostly likely a health issue than a legal one).

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

Trump has made clear he will run again and has already started to attack other GOP pols like Florida's DeSantis.     So there is little to no downside with out of work,  GOP pols taking on other duties while they wait in the wings.  

Their only other option is  to join up with the Liz Cheney wing of the GOP and attack Trump as the traitor that he is.   But since this tactics isn't like to work and they are generally cowards when it comes to taking on Trump,  they just take a backseat.

I do believe Liz Cheney will run in the GOP Presidential Primary.    Maybe Paul Ryan.    But again,  at this stage with the current GOP it doesn't matter;  Trump will win the GOP nomination unless something major happens (mostly likely a health issue than a legal one).

Haley is in a contradictory position.  She opposed Trump over the Insurrection and said it was time for him to move on.  She opposed Trump over the bailout of Boeing during the Pandemic and went so far as to resign from their board.  Boeing has a major plant in S.C. that was built while she was governor.

She now says she fully supports Trump and will not run if he does.  She got a lot of blowback from Republicans for not fully supporting Trump.

14 minutes ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

There will not be another Republican president while Donald Trump lives.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, LuckyDan said:

Like I said that is the likely outcome.    If someone like Paul Ryan would run against Trump in the GOP Primary would you vote for Ryan over Trump?

Note that since CA has open primary elections expect for the President I register with the party I wish to vote in the Presidential primary for.  E.g.  in 2016 I was registered as a  Republican since I wanted to vote for anyone-but-Trump in the GOP primary.    Since in 2016 CA's primary was in June,  it didn't matter since Trump was the only one left,  but CA moved up their primary to March so in 2024 I might do the same thing (not that it will make a difference since, as you note, Trump is likely to be the only Republican candidate as long as  he lives).

45 minutes ago, LuckyDan said:

He can only live so long.......

• Haha 1

It all depends how bad the 2022 elections will be for the Democrats. Every pollster now has gone on record as saying that because of Biden's current problems, and the Democrats running wildly in Congress with their over the top budget proposals, and the downturn in the economy, they are expected to get creamed in the mid-terms. As far as polls go, they are of course only a snapshot of present events. Things could change. Look where the senior George HW Bush was just after the successful Gulf War. High approvals in the 80 to 90% range, and yet less than a year later a recession happened and his numbers tanked.

The opposite could happen with Biden. Now he is viewed very unfavorably by a majority of voters, especially Independents who largely backed him in 2020. But if he can manage to get his democratic allies in Congress to stop with their in-party fighting  over the $3.5 billion infrastructure package and get it passed, things might start to look up for him.

If not, then things will continue to go south for him and his party.

As far as Trump is concerned, I have a sneaky feeling he will NOT run again. He is enjoying playing his part as Republican King maker now. 2024 is a long way off and sa James has indicated he could have a health issue pop up, or he could get indicted over his business tax issues. Who knows?

My guess is that Governor Ron DeSantis could be the savior of the Republican party in 2024. Of all of the potential candidates, he seems to have shown that he can govern in Florida and has the respect of the party. I see no one else but wanabees like Cruz, Graham, and  Rubio. I do not believe Liz Cheney will be successful at running for president. She has become a pariah in her home state of Wyoming.

19 minutes ago, fxreyman said:

My guess is that Governor Ron DeSantis could be the savior of the Republican party in 2024. Of all of the potential candidates, he seems to have shown that he can govern in Florida 

As a lifelong Florida resident, I can tell you that DeSantis is widely regarded as the worst governor in our state's history. A complete bumbling fool who never fails to disappoint, inept at every aspect of governance, and a churlish buffoon to boot.

So I guess I can see why the Republican party has so much respect for him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

As a lifelong Florida resident, I can tell you that DeSantis is widely regarded as the worst governor in our state's history. A complete bumbling fool who never fails to disappoint, inept at every aspect of governance, and a churlish buffoon to boot.

So I guess I can see why the Republican party has so much respect for him.

You could be right.

Just reading various accounts from different sources. Maybe he won't run for president and MAYBE that is a good thing for the rest of us.

18 minutes ago, fxreyman said:

You could be right.

Just reading various accounts from different sources. Maybe he won't run for president and MAYBE that is a good thing for the rest of us.

No, I think you're right, De Santis will likely run. I know he's been polling among likely Republican voters at a higher rating than any possible candidate other than Trump. Or he may end up being Trump's VP pick, with eyes on 2028.

However, De Santis's wife was diagnosed with breast cancer recently, and health and family issues may change his circumstances.

3 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

No, I think you're right, De Santis will likely run. I know he's been polling among likely Republican voters at a higher rating than any possible candidate other than Trump. Or he may end up being Trump's VP pick, with eyes on 2028.

However, De Santis's wife was diagnosed with breast cancer recently, and health and family issues may change his circumstances.

Well, hopefully they caught the cancer early enough. I never wish any hard feelings toward anyone who is involved with a family member dealing with cancer. It is extremely difficult for the person with the cancer, but having had to go through health issues with my wife, I can attest how difficult it is for spouses. I can only imagine what he and his family are going through. Either her cancer will be treated and beaten, or a health concern like that could linger for years. And that quite possibly could end any thought of him running for president.

On the other hand, her treatment might just be what the doctor ordered for him. A renewed understanding of the plight for what others must endure through their own health crisis, and therefore could help him become more understanding of those inflicted who may be around him. Views or policy decisions can and do change when health crisis occur.

• Like 1

A near death experience did wonders for Donald Trump's empathy ...... NOT!

I suspect that DeSantis doesn't have an empathetic bone in his body either.  He is just too plain arrogant to change anything about himself.

13 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Not for most politicians......

2 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

A bear death experience did wonders for Donald Trump's empathy ...... NOT!

Gotta watch those bears! :D

• Haha 1
8 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

A near death experience did wonders for Donald Trump's empathy ...... NOT!

I suspect that DeSantis doesn't have an empathetic bone in his body either.  He is just too plain arrogant to change anything about himself.

And this goes for most if not all politicians...

2 hours ago, LuckyDan said:

And even then, it might not be Trump.  With any justice in the universe, Donald should spend his last years locked away in a Federal Penitentiary. Thanks 

• Thanks 1

Some Ron DeSantis polling number:

The September The Data for Progress polling finds that 52% of those Floridians asked disapprove of DeSantis’ performance as governor while 45% approve.

A Quinnipiac University poll from late August found that 59% of registered Florida voters opposed a DeSantis presidential run.

That poll found that 47% approved of DeSantis’ performance overall, with 45% disapproving.

Based on these polling number DeSantis disapproval percentage has only decreased 2%   (from 47% to 45%),  well within any margin of error.

Therefore I wouldn't write off DeSantis.   Also I assume he would poll better  with GOPers outside of Florida.

Anyhow, all this doesn't matter unless Trump doesn't run and unless he is really ill or dead,  I just don't see him not running.   Thus the open question is who will Trump select as his running mate?   Josh Hawley?      It will not be Pence that is for sure.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

Anyhow, all this doesn't matter unless Trump doesn't run and unless he is really ill or dead,  I just don't see him not running.   Thus the open question is who will Trump select as his running mate?   Josh Hawley?      It will not be Pence that is for sure.

Maybe someone in the cell next to him.

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, Bogie56 said:

Maybe someone in the cell next to him.

Well of course, coming from you and your co-horts here on the Off-Topic part of the message boards, I am sure you and they would love to see our former president be convicted of a multitude of criminal sins, quite possibly supposed illegal business dealings before he became president.

But until that day comes, all he is, is a former president. With all of the rights a former president has.

My opinion and guess is that even though there might be enough material evidence for some court to go after him, that would be something this country has never seen before. And it might very well be the proverbial tipping point for any and all potential citizens who may want to run for political office. One would have to be very careful about anything that they did as a private citizen before mounting any sort of political campaign, and seeing what Trump went through just with the Democrats in charge in the House of Representatives, that would go a long way into making anyone seriously think about running for any future office.

Any potential prosecution of Trump may also ignite further tribal instincts amongst supporters of the former president, making life a living hell not only for others who are opposed to Trump, but the country. Just look what happened with Nixon in the months leading up to his resignation in August of 1974. It took a long time for this country to heal from that episode.

You and others might be overjoyed with Trump being prosecuted, but would you want this country to go through something like that?

And if something like that were to happen, and if it were to happen while Biden is still president, what do you think the consequences would be with Biden's agenda? Nothing would happen. Everything would become so polarized, even more so than when Trump was president. The Republicans would just became more unwilling to cooperate with any potential Democratic policy or bill moving through Congress. Just look at what is happening now... The Dems are having enough trouble just within their own party trying to get the massive $3.5 billion dollar infrastructure bill through Congress.

My guess is if something of a legal situation happens to Trump, it will be before the 2022 elections. If not, then nothing will be done. Politicians have a way of having nine lives and Trump might still be not convicted of anything. Time will tell.

• Like 1

Because he deserves to be! A crook even before he became president and worse after (not even counting Jan. 6th and his post election shenanigans)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Because he deserves to be! A crook even before he became president and worse after (not even counting Jan. 6th and his post election shenanigans)

Everyone has opinions, just like everyone has a you know what.

As long as we are sharing our opinions...

18 minutes ago, fxreyman said:

My opinion and guess is that even though there might be enough material evidence for some court to go after him, that would be something this country has never seen before. And it might very well be the proverbial tipping point for any and all potential citizens who may want to run for political office. One would have to be very careful about anything that they did as a private citizen before mounting any sort of political campaign

Yeah, that would just be awful if all the people with a criminal past decided not to run for office....

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
5 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Yeah, that would just be awful if all the people with a criminal past decided not to run for office....

Thats not what I meant. One would have to be very careful about anything they may have written, or said that may have been put on camera or possibly recorded in some way where some group may find that and then publish it to thwart their attempt at running for an office. Anything that they did in the past can be looked up and if enough people see that evidence, oh then, watch out.

36 minutes ago, fxreyman said:

You and others might be overjoyed with Trump being prosecuted, but would you want this country to go through something like that?

I would only want Trump prosecuted,  as an ex-President,   if it was necessary to prevent him from re-running for the office of President.       (which now appears to be the case).

This is why McConnell game play with impeachment was so flawed;    He knew Trump deserved to be impeached even after defeat by Biden but didn't because he hoped Trump would just go away.    Big misjudgment there Mitch.      So now Trump is still leader of the GOP,  attacking McConnell and all those that oppose him, even in the slightest,  with Trump running again in 2024 and also trying to ensure GOP pols that oppose him are defeat in GOP primaries.

• Like 2
42 minutes ago, fxreyman said:

Well of course, coming from you and your co-horts here on the Off-Topic part of the message boards, I am sure you and they would love to see our former president be convicted of a multitude of criminal sins, quite possibly supposed illegal business dealings before he became president.

But until that day comes, all he is, is a former president. With all of the rights a former president has.

My opinion and guess is that even though there might be enough material evidence for some court to go after him, that would be something this country has never seen before. And it might very well be the proverbial tipping point for any and all potential citizens who may want to run for political office. One would have to be very careful about anything that they did as a private citizen before mounting any sort of political campaign, and seeing what Trump went through just with the Democrats in charge in the House of Representatives, that would go a long way into making anyone seriously think about running for any future office.

Any potential prosecution of Trump may also ignite further tribal instincts amongst supporters of the former president, making life a living hell not only for others who are opposed to Trump, but the country. Just look what happened with Nixon in the months leading up to his resignation in August of 1974. It took a long time for this country to heal from that episode.

And if something like that were to happen, and if it were to happen while Biden is still president, what do you think the consequences would be with Biden's agenda? Nothing would happen. Everything would become so polarized, even more so than when Trump was president. The Republicans would just became more unwilling to cooperate with any potential Democratic policy or bill moving through Congress. Just look at what is happening now... The Dems are having enough trouble just within their own party trying to get the massive $3.5 billion dollar infrastructure bill through Congress.

My guess is if something of a legal situation happens to Trump, it will be before the 2022 elections. If not, then nothing will be done. Politicians have a way of having nine lives and Trump might still be not convicted of anything. Time will tell.

You are quite right.  It may dissuade criminals from running for public office due to the rightful exposure they then receive.  This isn't Russia where a Putin like leader can keep criminal behaviour from the people. 

I will give you this - he deserves a fair day in court.  And a piece of advice ... try not to lie too much.

• Like 2