Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Nikki Haley elected to Clemson University Board

7 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

You are quite right.  It may dissuade criminals from running for public office due to the rightful exposure they then receive.  This isn't Russia where a Putin like leader can keep criminal behaviour from the people. 

I will give you this - he deserves a fair day in court.  And a piece of advice ... try not to lie too much.

YET.....

If there will not be another GOPer president  while Donny lives, I hope  he lives to 100. 

I just  got  a fund  raising  email from Haley a few days ago, so she is thinking  about running if Trumpy decides not to. One point she

makes  is  no, no, no the U.S. is not a racist country. When she and her parents s first came to  S.C.  they had to  overcome bigotry  and

prejudice. But  when folks found out her parents were just hard working, nose to  the grindstone types they were accepted. Then

why has she done just about everything she could to obscure her heritage?  Another sleazebag. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

Like I said that is the likely outcome.    If someone like Paul Ryan would run against Trump in the GOP Primary would you vote for Ryan over Trump?

I would, if I bothered at all, since I'm in Texas, but my favorite politician right now, by far, is Ben Sasse. 

4 hours ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

I would only want Trump prosecuted,  as an ex-President,   if it was necessary to prevent him from re-running for the office of President.       (which now appears to be the case).

This is why McConnell game play with impeachment was so flawed;    He knew Trump deserved to be impeached even after defeat by Biden but didn't because he hoped Trump would just go away.    Big misjudgment there Mitch.      So now Trump is still leader of the GOP,  attacking McConnell and all those that oppose him, even in the slightest,  with Trump running again in 2024 and also trying to ensure GOP pols that oppose him are defeat in GOP primaries.

Ehhh I don't know. January 6 is so political.  I sided with Mitch on that. Dems don't care about riots. Kamala Harris was telling rioters to "keep it up!" With a big smile on her face. Organizing bail money. No accountability for her? Then none for Trump. 

Trump should be prosecuted if he has committed a crime, not because he's pi$$ed us off, or because we want to disqualify him from office. Dems need to bring the evidence or shut up.

As for Fxreyman's concern about "putting the country though something like that" it reminds me of the Watergate era when that question was put to Nixon haters. I don't think it would do much more damage than we're currently living with. We hate each other already.

One side just has to lose so badly and so painfully no one will admit afterward to ever having been on it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
26 minutes ago, LuckyDan said:

Ehhh I don't know. January 6 is so political.  I sided with Mitch on that. Dems don't care about riots. Kamala Harris was telling rioters to "keep it up!" With a big smile on her face. Organizing bail money. No accountability for her? Then none for Trump. 

Trump should be prosecuted if he has committed a crime, not because he's pi$$ed us off, or because we want to disqualify him from office. Dems need to bring the evidence or shut up.

As for Fxreyman's concern about "putting the country though something like that" it reminds me of the Watergate era when that question was put to Nixon haters. I don't think it would do much more damage than we're currently living with. We hate each other already.

One side just has to lose so badly and so painfully no one will admit afterward to ever having been on it.

Not sure what you mean by "sided with Mitch on that";    Based on the comments Mitch said he clearly viewed that Trump should have been impeached but said he didn't support it because Trump was no longer President;  I.e. that a sitting President shouldn't be impeached from office in their remaining lame-duck days after being defeated in an election.     So I believe Mitch felt Trump did commit crimes but didn't impeach him for that reason.   

As for "we hate each other already":     please don't count me in that group since I'm not on either side being a  states-right libertarian.  Thus  I'm very disappointed in both major parties and the lack of DC politicians on both sides,  willing to made deals to keep things moving. 

Note that this week's The Economist has an article about how partisan the USA is.     Truly a sad state where all each side can do is blame the other,  hate each other,   and wish to invoke violence on each other.      

3 minutes ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

Not sure what you mean by "sided with Mitch on that";    Based on the comments Mitch said he clearly viewed that Trump should have been impeached but said he didn't support it because Trump was no longer President;  I.e. that a sitting President shouldn't be impeached from office in their remaining lame-duck days after being defeated in an election.     So I believe Mitch felt Trump did commit crimes but didn't impeach him for that reason.   

As for "we hate each other already":     please don't count me in that group since I'm not on either side being a  states-right libertarian.  Thus  I'm very disappointed in both major parties and the lack of DC politicians on both sides,  willing to made deals to keep things moving. 

Note that this weeks The Economist has an article about how partisan the USA is.     Truly a sad state where all each side can do is blame the other,  hate each other,   and wish to invoke violence on each other.      

I mean I would have voted no and yawned and doodled through the impeachment trial, too. 

Of course Trump encouraged it. And being out of office did not protect him from prosecution. The correct vote would have been yes to convict. But I still wouldn't have. That's how angry I was at the left after the "mostly peaceful" summer of 20. They burned down cities and let the thugs go free? Then complained when some Trump goons broke windows at the capital? Screw them. 

• Sad 1
7 minutes ago, LuckyDan said:

I mean I would have voted no and yawned and doodled through the impeachment trial, too. 

Of course Trump encouraged it. And being out of office did not protect him from prosecution. The correct vote would have been yes to convict. But I still wouldn't have. That's how angry I was at the left after the "mostly peaceful" summer of 20. They burned down cities and let the thugs go free? Then complained when some Trump goons broke windows at the capital? Screw them. 

I do appreciate your transparency.    I really do,  but I just can't agree with you.    What you're saying is two-wrongs should be treated as right.

Of course those that committed violence during the summer protest should have been prosecuted to the full extent of the law and instead Dems and left-leaning pols didn't have the guts to do that,   but that doesn't provide an excuse for a GOP Senator not to vote "yes" for the Trump impeachment to ensure he can't run for office ever again.

Your "screw them" comment shows that you have the same moral standing as the Dems\progressive at this  forum.    I.e. caring about getting even or causing harm to the other side instead of what is right and just.

• Thanks 1
18 minutes ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

Your "screw them" comment shows that you have the same moral standing as the Dems\progressive at this  forum.    I.e. caring about getting even or causing harm to the other side instead of what is right and just.

A key difference is I have just admitted my position here is an emotional one, not a logical or even intellectual one. I look at it as a form of justice. I don't like trump, or maga, but he is their enemy, not mine. Let them defeat him if they can.

• Like 2
20 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

As a lifelong Florida resident, I can tell you that DeSantis is widely regarded as the worst governor in our state's history. A complete bumbling fool who never fails to disappoint, inept at every aspect of governance, and a churlish buffoon to boot.

So I guess I can see why the Republican party has so much respect for him.

Heard DeSantis on NPR this morning.  He has a sort of wimpy voice.  At least on what I heard.

18 hours ago, fxreyman said:

Any potential prosecution of Trump may also ignite further tribal instincts amongst supporters of the former president, making life a living hell not only for others who are opposed to Trump, but the country. Just look what happened with Nixon in the months leading up to his resignation in August of 1974. It took a long time for this country to heal from that episode.

First, Trump needs to be investigated just as anyone suspected of criminal activity should be.   If evidence is found of criminal wrongdoing, he should be prosecuted and tried.  Just as any other person should be.

As for Nixon and Watergate, I was an adult then and remember it very, very well.    It did NOT make this country a "living hell."  It did prove to Americans and to the world that no one is above the law in America.  Living in the South and visiting other parts of it, I did not notice anything other than normal politics as usual.  Of course, some die hard Nixon Republicans were upset, but other they decry it, they really did not do anything.  After all, six years later Ronald Reagan was president.

16 hours ago, Vautrin said:

If there will not be another GOPer president  while Donny lives, I hope  he lives to 100. 

I just  got  a fund  raising  email from Haley a few days ago, so she is thinking  about running if Trumpy decides not to. One point she

makes  is  no, no, no the U.S. is not a racist country. When she and her parents s first came to  S.C.  they had to  overcome bigotry  and

prejudice. But  when folks found out her parents were just hard working, nose to  the grindstone types they were accepted. Then

why has she done just about everything she could to obscure her heritage?  Another sleazebag. 

Haven't got any Haley mail in months, but then her organization does not have my email - that I know of.    Haley, like most politicians, will play both sides of a situation when they can.  She often makes much of her Indian parents coming to USA, opening a sewing plant in Bamberg (?) S.C. and her working in it in a financial capacity.  At some point, Haley moved to Columbia SC and began her political career.  The sewing plant has long been closed.

She seldom mentions her conversion from Sikh (?) to Methodist or her given name, much less maiden name.

News item today is that Sen. Tim Scott may be running for president in 2024.  He is the black US senator from S.C.   As far as I can tell, he has been fairly low key since being appointed to the senate by then Gov. Haley.  However, he is beginning to issue more controversial, anti-Dem statements and has been visiting primary states.  Also, announced this will be his last run for US Senate.

13 hours ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

I do appreciate your transparency.    I really do,  but I just can't agree with you.    What you're saying is two-wrongs should be treated as right.

Of course those that committed violence during the summer protest should have been prosecuted to the full extent of the law and instead Dems and left-leaning pols didn't have the guts to do that,   but that doesn't provide an excuse for a GOP Senator not to vote "yes" for the Trump impeachment to ensure he can't run for office ever again.

Agree with your first two paragraphs, but take issue with the first sentence of last one.  You lump Dems. and Progressives at this forum together.  I for one do not support the Progressives and think they are a major threat to the Democratic Party.  Have posted so in the past.

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, ElCid said:

Haven't got any Haley mail in months, but then her organization does not have my email - that I know of.    Haley, like most politicians, will play both sides of a situation when they can.  She often makes much of her Indian parents coming to USA, opening a sewing plant in Bamberg (?) S.C. and her working in it in a financial capacity.  At some point, Haley moved to Columbia SC and began her political career.  The sewing plant has long been closed.

She seldom mentions her conversion from Sikh (?) to Methodist or her given name, much less maiden name.

News item today is that Sen. Tim Scott may be running for president in 2024.  He is the black US senator from S.C.   As far as I can tell, he has been fairly low key since being appointed to the senate by then Gov. Haley.  However, he is beginning to issue more controversial, anti-Dem statements and has been visiting primary states.  Also, announced this will be his last run for US Senate.

This was  one of those I'm still out  here and  I have  something important (at least that I  think important) to say. And of course a donation place to  click on.

Maybe she  is  just  mass emailing these or perhaps just to states around S.C. I'm getting a lot  of Trump money begging  emails which I  just delete.  I saw a

brief item somewhere about Scott  thinking of running. He'll have to get the wingnut  on pretty quickly. Tricky Dicky resigning is still  one of  the most

satisfying acts that  I saw. What  a grand time it was.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

This was  one of those I'm still out  here and  I have  something important (at least that I  think important) to say. And of course a donation place to  click on.

Maybe she  is  just  mass emailing these or perhaps just to states around S.C. I'm getting a lot  of Trump money begging  emails which I  just delete.  I saw a

brief item somewhere about Scott  thinking of running. He'll have to get the wingnut  on pretty quickly. Tricky Dicky resigning is still  one of  the most

satisfying acts that  I saw. What  a grand time it was.

I get emails from Scott periodically.  Used to be just the usual low key type political stuff.  Lately, attacks on Biden and Biden administration are front and center.

1 hour ago, ElCid said:

I get emails from Scott periodically.  Used to be just the usual low key type political stuff.  Lately, attacks on Biden and Biden administration are front and center.

I don't think I've received  any from him, but it may only be a matter of time. He's a long shot, but  you never  know.

10 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

nikki haley is a woman of color but has the wrong views and THAT'S when racial makeup suddenly becomes unimportant to democrats...

they are phonies!

:D

Diversity of color, yes.

Diversity of thought, no.

15 hours ago, LuckyDan said:

Diversity of color, yes.

Diversity of thought, no.

Why, if you are a liberal would you embrace right wing conservatism - and vice versa I might add?

That is just a silly criticism but there you go.  Not unexpected.

• Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...