Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"There will be things that people can't get," at Christmas, White House warns

"There will be things that people can't get," at Christmas, White House warns

White House officials, scrambling to relieve global supply bottlenecks choking U.S. ports, highways and railways, warn Americans may face higher prices and some empty shelves this Christmas season.

The supply crisis, driven in part by the global COVID-19 pandemic, not only threatens to dampen U.S. spending at a critical time, it also poses a political risk for U.S. President Joe Biden.

The latest Reuters/Ipsos poll shows the economy continues to be the most important issue to Democrats and Republicans alike.

The White House has been trying to tackle inflation-inducing supply bottlenecks of everything from meat to semiconductors, and formed a task force in June that meets weekly and named a "bottleneck" czar to push private sector companies to ease snarls.

Biden himself plans to meet with senior officials on Wednesday to discuss efforts to relieve transportation bottlenecks before delivering a speech on the topic.

Supply chain woes are weighing on retail and transportation companies, which recently issued a series of downbeat earnings outlooks. Meanwhile, the Federal Reserve last month predicted a 2021 inflation rate of 4.2%, well above its 2% target.

American consumers, unused to empty store shelves, may need to be flexible and patient, White House officials said.

Biden and the democrats are doing such a horrible job running the economy that some people won't be getting Christmas presents this year.

What a really, really, really dumb post.   Biden and the Democrats  have ZERO to do with any shortages.  ZERO!!!!!!

Your own post shows that.  Do you ever to bother to read what you cite?

In fact, they are working very hard to eliminate the problems causing the shortages which began while Trump was president.

• Thanks 4

I noticed the lack of Halloween products this year, no surprise Christmas will reflect.

It's out there, good luck getting it past the docks.

I'm a California dock worker facing record cargo-ship backlogs. It'll be catastrophic if things get worse.

https://news.yahoo.com/im-california-dock-worker-facing-132925803.html?guccounter=1

You thought waiting in line at the DMV was long.

_120646594_gettyimages-1341613072.jpg

51 minutes ago, ElCid said:

What a really, really, really dumb post.   Biden and the Democrats  have ZERO to do with any shortages.  ZERO!!!!!!

Biden appoint Buttigieg in charge of transportation who had zero experience running anything since he was only a small town mayor. Now we have massive disruptions in transportation and he has no clue how to fix anything. So yes, it is democrats running things and they can't even keep transportation on the road.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MovieMadness said:

Biden appoint Buttigieg in charge of transportation who had zero experience running anything since he was only a small town mayor. Now we have massive disruptions in transportation and he has no clue how to fix anything. So yes, it is democrats running things and they can't even keep transportation on the road.

This is happening right round the entire world.  Even Jarrod Kushner couldn't solve it.

Someone just gave kudos to Biden for hopping on the multi-facetted problem right away instead of sweeping it under the rug which Trump would have done.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, ElCid said:

In fact, they are working very hard to eliminate the problems causing the shortages which began while Trump was president.

Your reply is also misguided.     Little in life is so black and white.    

Note that today pro-Biden CNN has a article that continuing the Trump imposed tariffs is hurting the supply chain and that Biden should temporarily suspends them (and just end  some select ones).   Biden doesn't wish to do this since he wishes to appear as tough against China as Trump.      The Biden admin could also temporarily suspend some regulatory requirements at the ports and trucker regulations that could reduce the backlog of ships waiting to deliver their goods (which caused that oil spill that occurred in So Cal).

Therefore the Biden admin could do some thing to grease the supply chain and reduce shortages.    

I assume the Biden admin will make some of these changes soon as the MSM increases the coverage that Santa might have to stay in the North Poll.

PS:  The Biden admin just announced that the Port of L.A.  will open be 24 hours (round the clock) until the backlog is reduced to a reasonable level.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
2 hours ago, ElCid said:

In fact, they are working very hard to eliminate the problems causing the shortages which began while Trump was president....stop thinking up pathetic excuses for this pathetic jerk-*** you support.

:D

3 hours ago, Vautrin said:

Very true. The nutjobs  will not  be getting any common sense by Christmas and for long after, if  ever.

Even being an atheist I understand that Christmas is about family and getting together to share good feelings.    

This is especially true given that a lot of that couldn't happen last year do to Covid.    So I'm looking forward to do that with my family and loved ones.   (but only the vaccinated are invited something my siblings have all agreed upon!)

We don't need no stinking gifts to experience what this holiday is truly about.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

Even being an atheist I understand that Christmas is about family and getting together to share good feelings.    

This is especially true given that a lot of that couldn't happen last year do to Covid.    So I'm looking forward to do that with my family and loved ones.   (but only the vaccinated are invited something my siblings have all agreed upon!)

We don't need no stinking gifts to experience what this holiday is truly about.  

Yes. Though I'm no longer a believer I still enjoy Christmas and the Christmas atmosphere.

I know that Americans, being the deeply religious, non-materialistic people they are will not be

upset just because they  may not able to get  the latest electronic gewgaws by Christmas.  

• Haha 1
21 hours ago, MovieMadness said:

Read your post and your comments.  You are blaming Biden and now Buttigieg for PRIVATE ENTERPRISE problems that go back to the Trump administration.   Neither Biden nor Buttigieg is responsible for what happened in the past.

They are trying now to fix it despite it being a monumental world-wide PRIVATE ENTERPRISE problem.

19 hours ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

Note that today pro-Biden CNN has a article that continuing the Trump imposed tariffs is hurting the supply chain and that Biden should temporarily suspends them (and just end  some select ones).   Biden doesn't wish to do this since he wishes to appear as tough against China as Trump.      The Biden admin could also temporarily suspend some regulatory requirements at the ports and trucker regulations that could reduce the backlog of ships waiting to deliver their goods (which caused that oil spill that occurred in So Cal).

Therefore the Biden admin could do some thing to grease the supply chain and reduce shortages.    

I assume the Biden admin will make some of these changes soon as the MSM increases the coverage that Santa might have to stay in the North Poll.

PS:  The Biden admin just announced that the Port of L.A.  will open be 24 hours (round the clock) until the backlog is reduced to a reasonable level.

The point is that MM's blaming Biden for what HAS happened is totally incorrect.  In addition, his comment contradicted by the quote in his own post.

Regardless, YES, Biden is now trying to do something and more power to him.  But he is not responsible for what has already happened.  Furthermore, there is not really a lot the Federal government can do about a private enterprise supply chain problem reaching from your local retail stores of Amazon dealers all the way back to Asia, Europe or wherever.

20 hours ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

This is the most intelligent thing I have read all day! 

• Sad 1
2 hours ago, ElCid said:

Read your post and your comments.  You are blaming Biden and now Buttigieg for PRIVATE ENTERPRISE problems that go back to the Trump administration.   Neither Biden nor Buttigieg is responsible for what happened in the past.

They are trying now to fix it despite it being a monumental world-wide PRIVATE ENTERPRISE problem.

The point is that MM's blaming Biden for what HAS happened is totally incorrect.  In addition, his comment contradicted by the quote in his own post.

Regardless, YES, Biden is now trying to do something and more power to him.  But he is not responsible for what has already happened.  Furthermore, there is not really a lot the Federal government can do about a private enterprise supply chain problem reaching from your local retail stores of Amazon dealers all the way back to Asia, Europe or wherever.

But the ships are not in Asia or Europe. They are sitting off the coast of California and nobody is unloading them. And the federal government is knee deep in private enterprise in the form of regulations. Suspending some of those regulations at a time of crisis would be a smart thing to do.  Also, if Newsom CAN call out the California national guard to unload ships, I don't know why he hasn't done so. 

• Haha 1
15 minutes ago, LsDoorMat said:

Sorry if I'm not impressed, They should be open 24/7 without being prompted considering the situation. 

So, it is not the Biden administration's problem, but that of the people who run the port and operate it?  Thank you.

I have been trying to get across that Biden's policies and administration did NOT create this problem.  They are now and have been working on solutions.  Which are very difficult when you have to deal with state and local governments, labor unions, private companies, ad infinitum.

The OP is blaming Biden and that is what I am trying to correct.

Of course, it goes beyond the ports and include trucking companies, lack of containers, lack of truck drivers, lack of trains to haul the containers to truck terminals, etc.  I find the lack of containers interesting considering how many tens of thousands (hundreds of thousands?) there must be sitting in lots around the US to be sold for storage to anyone who will buy them.

As for activating the National Guard, that is a state issue unless the Federal government decides to do it, but that is a complicated issue.  For one thing the Guard members will be pulled from their jobs.  How will the labor unions react to Guard doing jobs their members are supposed to do?  

May have changed, but I do not think so.  Truck drivers are required to have a CDL.  Military truck drivers are not.  I used to teach them and certify them and issue Army licenses.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
54 minutes ago, ElCid said:

So, it is not the Biden administration's problem, but that of the people who run the port and operate it?  Thank you.

I have been trying to get across that Biden's policies and administration did NOT create this problem.  They are now and have been working on solutions.  Which are very difficult when you have to deal with state and local governments, labor unions, private companies, ad infinitum.

The OP is blaming Biden and that is what I am trying to correct.

Of course, it goes beyond the ports and include trucking companies, lack of containers, lack of truck drivers, lack of trains to haul the containers to truck terminals, etc.  I find the lack of containers interesting considering how many tens of thousands (hundreds of thousands?) there must be sitting in lots around the US to be sold for storage to anyone who will buy them.

As for activating the National Guard, that is a state issue unless the Federal government decides to do it, but that is a complicated issue.  For one thing the Guard members will be pulled from their jobs.  How will the labor unions react to Guard doing jobs their members are supposed to do?  

May have changed, but I do not think so.  Truck drivers are required to have a CDL.  Military truck drivers are not.  I used to teach them and certify them and issue Army licenses.

The BIden admin may have not created this problem, but it is happening on their watch so it is now their problem. 

My question is...Why is this happening NOW? Why not six months or a year ago? Is there that big a demand for products that wasn't there six months ago? 

I realize unloading ships does no good if there are no trucks to put the goods on.

And I really don't care how labor unions react to someone else doing their job if there are not enough of them to do the job themselves. 

The point I see here is that the Biden Admin is sometimes  slow on the draw;    I.e.  they are not very decisive.     

Of course this is another crisis (I believe one more of perception than reality because little to no essential goods are facing storages) the Biden Admin inherited from the Trump admin.    Cid:   Most of us get-that and of course MM doesn't. 

BUT the Biden Admin has been in power for over 9 months now and the issue with the supply chain were known many months ago.     At least the Biden Admin is being proactive now.

As for unloading ships:  longshore workers are unique Federally protected workers -  E.g.  their workers comp is NOT under the jurisdiction of the state they work in (like most other workers), but instead unique Federal longshore statues.       This is just one reason the Feds  had to step in with regards to longshore work.   State rights in this area are very limited. 

As for Truckers;  It is my understanding the Feds would have to declare an emergency in order to change state or federal regulation that covers them (E.g. the CDL Cid sites).   The current supply chain concerns don't justify calling an emergency since essential goods are not at risk.    

• Thanks 2
1 hour ago, LsDoorMat said:

The BIden admin may have not created this problem, but it is happening on their watch so it is now their problem. 

My question is...Why is this happening NOW? Why not six months or a year ago? Is there that big a demand for products that wasn't there six months ago? 

I realize unloading ships does no good if there are no trucks to put the goods on.

And I really don't care how labor unions react to someone else doing their job if there are not enough of them to do the job themselves. 

I don't think it is just happening now, but rather an accumulation.  Sort of like a dripping faucet into a sink that is plugged.  Eventually it fills and runs over if not fixed.   The "simple" rationale is: Blame it on COVID.  And probably a lot of other factors.

Good question about product demand.  I guess perhaps what was wanted three to six months ago was already in the pipeline or close to the selling points.

It is Biden's problem now because he will be blamed for it, but my original post was that he didn't create the problem.  Simple answer is COVID and the world economy we live in did.