Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Heroic William Shatner, senior spaceman

the shuttle is perfect for such a di-- head.  Sorry too easy of a joke.  nothing against Shatner but i do feel like he's been an egomaniacal arse through his career as most of his co-stars will attest.  still like his musical albums.

19 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Boldly went where NO OTHER MEN(or very few) can afford to go!  ;) 

Sepiatone

Yes, well if you've got the money, at least he was willing to put it where it was worth it... to him.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Shank Asu said:

the shuttle is perfect for such a di-- head.  Sorry too easy of a joke.  nothing against Shatner but i do feel like he's been an egomaniacal arse through his career as most of his co-stars will attest.  still like his musical albums.

Well, not every actor is well liked during their careers.

He was known to keep his co-stars on the original Star Trek series from getting additional scenes by conferring with the series directors to give him more screen time. Of course he has said over his career that he had little knowledge that he was guilty of that. Was not until he interviewed his old co-stars for his Star Trek Memories books that he found out that that just was not the case.

But I have found him to be a very good actor when he wanted to be.

• Like 1

I thought William Shatner got better with age, during Boston Legal and his celebrity phase since, making commercials and other media appearances.  A lighter version of himself at a younger age.

I'm a bit surprised he actually went to space!

This is a pic I grabbed a while back from his Priceline ad campaign
shatner-priceline.jpg

Here he is with the crew.  Maybe looks 65-ish, if that?
https://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/shatner-space.jpg

• Like 2
1 hour ago, fxreyman said:

Well, not every actor is well liked during their careers.

He was known to keep his co-stars on the original Star Trek series from getting additional scenes by conferring with the series directors to give him more screen time. Of course he has said over his career that he had little knowledge that he was guilty of that. Was not until he interviewed his old co-stars for his Star Trek Memories books that he found out that that just was not the case.

But I have found him to be a very good actor when he wanted to be.

I like that he can poke fun at himself.  I just don't know that 'heroic' is the right word to describe him though as in the OP.

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Shank Asu said:

I like that he can poke fun at himself.  I just don't know that 'heroic' is the right word to describe him though as in the OP.

Yes, I think the use of the word "heroic" may be far over the top. Maybe a better word to use would be adventurous, or a phrase like "he has guts", considering doing something like this where even the slightest malfunction could have ended in disaster.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Katie_G said:

My first thought was he seems too old and out of shape to be doing this, but I have to admit it's exciting to see.  The crew will have their hands full.🖖

My understanding is that both Blue Origin and Virgin Galactic are trying to make this into a regular commercial service.

Sure, it's not a weekend at the Space Station 5 Hilton,  but it's a start.

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJhcmVuYV9pbWFnZXMiLCJrZXki

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, fxreyman said:

Yes, I think the use of the word "heroic" may be far over the top. Maybe a better word to use would be adventurous, or a phrase like "he has guts", considering doing something like this where even the slightest malfunction could have ended in disaster.

Yeah, i know it's a dangerous flight to take.  as much as i'd like to go into space, not sure i would do it now that i've got young kids.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, rjbartrop said:

My understanding is that both Blue Origin and Virgin Galactic are trying to make this into a regular commercial service.

When I was five, parents dragged me out to be the big family-event screening of the then-new-at-popular-prices 2001--I only stayed awake for the Heywood Floyd scenes, but EVER SINCE, I've always wanted to stay at the Space Station Hilton.

Yes, I even saved my stimulus checks for two years, just to save up for Disney's indulgence-priced Star Wars hotel next year (but only because Westworld or Futureworld didn't exist):  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tJ89yUxKBw

And one good thing is that this time, we're not all doing the same inane "Planet of the Apes" joke everyone thought they were the first one to tell, when Sen. John Glenn went back into space...Okay, thank you, I also read it on the Net. 🙄  And, we're not getting any Clint Eastwood/Tommy Lee Jones movies out of it, either.

2 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

I would do it because babes like it when a guy is up there.

:)

Yeah. And not down here pestering them to death.  ;)   Or are you just speaking for yourself?  You know....

Babes like it when you're as far away from them as possible?  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Haha 2
53 minutes ago, Millenniumman said:

Get inspired.

This right here.  How many of the people who made Shatner's ride possible started out watching him play spaceman all those years ago, and deciding that they wanted to make that happen?  

It's a testament to the power of mythmaking and storytelling, and the reason why science fiction fans like me sometimes get a little, um, passionate about the subject.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, rjbartrop said:

Those chairs still rule.

2 hours ago, EricJ said:

And, we're not getting any Clint Eastwood/Tommy Lee Jones movies out of it, either.

Me, my mind is going to a 21st century remake of Flying Down to Rio.

"Gee, how are we going to promote our new space tourism business?"

"I've got an idea!  Let put on a show!"

• Haha 2
6 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

Those chairs still rule.

They're called the Djinn chair, and it looks like you can still buy them.

Maybe something to think about for the TCM store.  You can only drink so much wine.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
6 hours ago, Movie Collector OH said:

Maybe looks 65-ish, if that?

All the actresses and other female celebrities that have the super Botoxed face jobs that looks like the sides of their faces have been pulled way back to stretch their lips super-thin need to find out what Shatner had done and tell their plastic surgeons "give me that". He looks fantastic for 90. And he bounded up the stairs to the ship like a man half his age.

Looks more obvious than ever that he has a hairpiece though ( and I say this as a bald man). Wish he had the courage to let that go.

Hope there's not anything "MeToo"-ish that occurred just before that photo was taken with Shatner and the other dudes with big smiles and the one woman in the group looking bored and uncomfortable!