Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Heroic William Shatner, senior spaceman

NipkowDisc

He seems to have a wonderful time, whatever he's doing.  Endlessly curious.  A while back, he even had that quirky interview show, (was it syndicated?) which was intensely one-on-one, with crazy, interesting conversations that went on and on....   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rjbartrop said:

They're called the Djinn chair, and it looks like you can still buy them.

Maybe something to think about for the TCM store.  You can only drink so much wine.

Furnish your house with TCM!  Alicia Malone bedroom sets!  Eddie Muller dark dens!  Ben Mankiewicz great room suites!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@LOYFAN:  Hard to tell, really, innit?  I don't know that there's a way to measure such things with any degree of accuracy? 

But, hey, I'm not gonna rain on Bill Shatner's parade.  He's a mighty youthful 90-year-old and he wants to visit space for a lil' while.   🪐

I wonder if he'll run into Khan in space?  After all, TCM is running movies tonight in regards to "Hispanic Heritage Month" and Ricardo Montalban is featured prominently.  So Cap'n' Kirk may well run in to KHAN!  

Like the Space Beaver said:  DAM RIGHT! 

I'm loving this.  Don't know if he has everything in common with me, or nothing.  But none of that matters.  Mr. Shatner is living the dream, for those who wish to travel into Space.  And for the record, I'm not one of them!!  😁

So my best wishes to him (and crew) as he reenters our atmosphere in the near future, hopefully with tales to tell.  I am looking forward to it!!  And perhaps a new beatnik LP record.  But one can only dream.  :)

P.S. I wish those empty-headed talking heads would just stifle it about Jet Blue (or whatever it is) being a private company, and not NASA. 😁 

FWIW One of my beloved uncles was one of the few original NASA physicists who figured out how rocket propulsion worked, through complex formulas and equations, and with an EE on hand, developed an early computer program to calculate.  That's right, an EE, not a "computer programmer" in those days!!  I have the original scanned documents on my computer and am proud to have known him - really wish I could have known him better as an adult - I think he might have approved of me - just maybe - fingers crossed - he once told me I "cleaned up well" at a wedding, and I took that as a compliment.  We are talking mid to late 1950s here for this project of his, and he had some significant other projects that changed our history that I am aware of.  I am told by my family that his rocket propulsion program is still used to this day, universally all over the world, on newer computer platforms of course.  Maybe even in a web browser.  Damn, my family makes me look good... :)  

For perspective, tonight I just helped my next door neighbor and her best friend put together an IKEA sofa, metal framework and all, without really using the instructions.  I originally went over there for the "entertainment value" (they are a heck of a lot of fun), but they mostly stood back out of the way just this one time.  I just used the parts inventory on the first few pages as an "exploded diagram", and not much more, maybe about a 30+ page manual, but I don't know for sure.  Blew their minds.   Mars vs. Venus or whatever.  Comfortable sofa BTW, nice and firm. 😁

• Like 3

12 hours ago, rjbartrop said:

This right here.  How many of the people who made Shatner's ride possible started out watching him play spaceman all those years ago, and deciding that they wanted to make that happen?  

It's a testament to the power of mythmaking and storytelling, and the reason why science fiction fans like me sometimes get a little, um, passionate about the subject.

Absolutely.  Just imagine the irony of this whole thing, just beautiful...

• Like 1

my sister who has always liked shatner because our father looked like him and like shatner our dad was a motorcycle enthusiast but reminded us of shatner so my sister feels a kinship to this flamboyant actor who reminds us so much of our father and when ole bill and nichelle filmed their big kiss scene and they were all watching it in the screening room I woulda liked it if bill woulda cracked up everyone by saying "it's not perfect. I think nichelle and I should do a few more takes" bill woulda cracked everybody up. my sister also said to me that star trek would not have been worth a dam without him. he was the show!...

my sister said he showed them all...especially paramount. she said bill shoulda held up a sign saying "paramount, you can kiss me ***" he showed um.

this is the man they kicked out of star trek. the denebian slime-devils at paramount.

Captain Kirk & his smile! | Star trek movies, Star trek captains, Star trek

22 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

the inspiration this great actor gave to millions around the world in his heyday should never be minimized.

to us as kids he was space.

To boldly go: How 'Star Trek' inspired NASA's planet hunters – Exoplanet  Exploration: Planets Beyond our Solar System

I watched Star Trek with William Shatner as a kid.  I loved the optimism and idealism in Star Trek (not to mention the humor!).  The stories, characters and good feeling you got watching the show helped you look past sets etc. that weren't too high budget.

I've never seen an episode of Star Trek. Clips, yes, a moment or two here and there, but never a complete episode. But then the Star Wars films have also left me cold, as well, having seen the first three only, the first one at the show when it originally came out. That's enough. No need to see any more.

As for Bill Shatner and his latest achievement, congratulations. But Nip, in his hero worship, went over the top by applying "heroic" to Shatner's real life space venture. Courageous would be a better word to describe him. The actor also looks amazing for his age.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mr. Gorman said:

I concur.  COURAGEOUS is a better word.  → Now if Captain James T. Kirk, on this voyage in to space, should perform an emergency appendectomy with a steak knife . . . well, THAT would be ♦heroic♦. 

👍

It might be heroic but it would forever curtail my desire for that particular knife if there was a porterhouse set down before me.

10 hours ago, Movie Collector OH said:

Damn, my family makes me look good... :)  

Would be better the other way 'round.  ;) 

2 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

this is the man they kicked out of star trek. the denebian slime-devils at paramount.

:huh:  Eh?

I thought he AGED OUT!  ;)   I mean,

An aged Kirk shufflin' 'round the Enterprise with that much gut couldn't be good for the franchise!  :D 

Sepiatone

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Movie Collector OH said:

I'm loving this.  Don't know if he has everything in common with me, or nothing.  But none of that matters.  Mr. Shatner is living the dream, for those who wish to travel into Space.  And for the record, I'm not one of them!!  😁

It was a sub-orbital hop, so he was there and back in ten minutes.   Still, that was considered good enough for Alan Shepard and Gus Grissom.

And yes, given the opportunity, I'd be there in a hearbeat.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, rjbartrop said:

It was a sub-orbital hop, so he was there and back in ten minutes.   Still, that was considered good enough for Alan Shepard and Gus Grissom.

And yes, given the opportunity, I'd be there in a hearbeat.

Well, for me, I'd like to be able to AFFORD the FEE  Bozo Bezos  wants to charge for the opportunity.  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Mr. Gorman said:

innit? 

Wben you say "innit", are you actually British, or do you just want to be? The only time I've heard this derivation of "isnt' it?" before is listening to the Beatles talk to each other in the studio between takes in my obsessively extensive listening to all I can of them in this modern dissesmination of informaion era.