Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Heroic William Shatner, senior spaceman

I guess I coulda posted this stuff in the "Canadian TV Memories" thread but since this thread is about Bill Shatner, I'll post it here for fun.

Back in the 1970s, Shatner did some TV commercials for Loblaws. Loblaws is a major Canadian grocery store chain that's still around. They also operate the Real Canadian Superstore outlets and other stores under other names.

Here's one old Loblaw's ad from 1972. Have no idea why there's a penguin in the ad.? My memory banks don't include that info.:

Poor quality one here from 1978:

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Former co-star George Takei has added his two cents on Shatner's odyssey into space, and no big surprise, none of what he has to say is very complimentary.

Forget about Hulk Hogan and Canadian "Rowdy" Roddy Piper, lets have a good old fashioned wrestling cage match between 90 year-old Shatner and 84 year-old Takei.

Shatner takes the high road in all this crap:

TCM should invite both Shatner and Takei to be co-guests and have them each choose films.

Think the penguin in the old Loblaw's commercial above is there because it's the frozen food section where the deals are...

On 10/13/2021 at 10:55 PM, LoyFan said:

I wonder how much damage to the environment these space jaunts cause...

There's a interesting play called Lungs, which I saw at the Old Vic in London, with Matt Smith and Claire Foy, about a couple trying to have a child. There's a great line:

"I could fly to New York and back every day for seven years and still not leave a carbon footprint as big as if I have a child."

Real climate change begins, not with cutting flights, either to space or across the world, but by having few children.

25 minutes ago, RMeingast said:

Forget about Hulk Hogan and Canadian "Rowdy" Roddy Piper, lets have a good old fashioned wrestling cage match between 90 year-old Shatner and 84 year-old Takei.

Shatner takes the high road in all this crap:

Takei and Doohan (Scotty) bashed Shat for years, but Takei appeared on his roast so i figured they were good.  i think am siding with Shat on this feud.  I see Takei spew all sorts of vitriol on-line and don't think he's above criticizing his old co-star to keep himself in the spotlight. 

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Shank Asu said:

Takei and Doohan (Scotty) bashed Shat for years, but Takei appeared on his roast so i figured they were good.  i think am siding with Shat on this feud.  I see Takei spew all sorts of vitriol on-line and don't think he's above criticizing his old co-star to keep himself in the spotlight. 

Or, they could have a sing-off - Shatner chooses a song like "Rocket Man" and then Takei chooses a song to sing. I'm not sure how they'd decide the winner? Expert panel or vote online???

Shatner hosted the 5th Saturn Awards show in 1978 and sang his version of this classic (50 seconds into video). Let's see Takei beat this:

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, RMeingast said:

Or, they could have a sing-off - Shatner chooses a song like "Rocket Man" and then Takei chooses a song to sing. I'm not sure how they'd decide the winner? Expert panel or vote online???

Shatner hosted the 5th Saturn Awards show in 1978 and sang his version of this classic (50 seconds into video). Let's see Takei beat this:

I've seen a few people post this video this past week.  Is that Karen Black at the start?  Iconic video.

@SHANK_ASU:  It is Karen Black. 

Also, Shank, do you collect Pre-Certs?  I know you live in the UK and probably have some knowledge of what 'pre-Certificated videos' are!  I collect them. 

Sewhite,  on the previous page mentioned my use of the UK slang term for "isn't it?", which is "innit".   → I picked up on that term from British video collectors because I've endeavoured to collect UK videos over the past 15 years and in my long-term communications with these gents on www.pre-cert.co.uk and Facebook I began using "innit" because it's easier than typing "isn't it" all the time.  (P.S.  I reckon I've got about 750 UK tapes.  They have been fun to collect.  Unique labels 'n' titles.  Fun stuff).   :)

Alreet then. 

Never heard of her.

But everyone on the planet knows Captain James T. Kirk!

As a matter of fact, in my very first thread in this forum, NipkowDisc mentioned Star Trek and it wasn't even the subject of the thread. Captain Kirk is everywhere!  😁

• Like 1

Always nice to see WILLIAM SHATNER's interpretation of "Rocket Man".

But, you know, THE SHAT also did a groovy version of Harry Chapin's story song TAXI!  You must go to YouTube and check out Bill's spoken-word version of "Taxi".  It's just as good as ROCKET MAN -- it's just not as heralded as his version of "Rocket Man". 

But on Dinah Shore in 1972 . . . William Shatner made music magic with TAXI!  👍 

(P.S.  Look for the 5:21 version uploaded by 'jimperkins'.  That's the full song with the "time code").

• Like 1
8 hours ago, unwatchable said:

Never heard of her.

But everyone on the planet knows Captain James T. Kirk!

As a matter of fact, in my very first thread in this forum, NipkowDisc mentioned Star Trek and it wasn't even the subject of the thread. Captain Kirk is everywhere!  😁

Yeah this is iconic on more than one level.  A 90 year old!!  Not much that I can add, I'll let the man speak for himself.

Many of you know I had met Shatner in 2018 and I thought he looked great for his age. I saw him candid in offstage moments where he seemed pretty spry, jumping into the big SUV transporting him.

He & I are both horse riders, and I know how great the sport is for fitness, especially seniors. I have friends who show the same circuits as Shatner-AMAZING he still shows! They say he does very well in competition, he's a fit rider. Even with the most seasoned horse it takes hours of regular practice to stay in good form, so maybe it's helped him remain young.

For you Nipkow:

TrekSooCommand.jpg.a936c16bbd6cd97d66033cf96b6ab85d.jpg

• Like 3
On 10/14/2021 at 9:44 PM, jameselliot said:

Blue Horizon knew Shatner would draw major amounts of attention. He seemed in awe after he landed and  I was glad for him. Of course, George 'Sulu' Takei had to P on his parade on social media. 

What did Takai say?

3 hours ago, Janet0312 said:

What did Takai say?

“He’s boldly going where other people have gone before.  He's a guinea pig, 90 years old and it's important to find out what happens. So 90 years old is going to show a great deal more on the wear and tear on the human body, so he'll be a good specimen to study. Although he's not the fittest specimen of 90 years old, so he'll be a specimen that's unfit!"

• Thanks 1

I concur.  Seems quite petty to me as well; almost like George Takei has a case of "attention ****-ism" -- instead of saying something nice he says something smarmy to get more press of *any* kind directed his way. 

And so it goes . . .

• Like 1
4 hours ago, jameselliot said:

“He’s boldly going where other people have gone before.  He's a guinea pig, 90 years old and it's important to find out what happens. So 90 years old is going to show a great deal more on the wear and tear on the human body, so he'll be a good specimen to study. Although he's not the fittest specimen of 90 years old, so he'll be a specimen that's unfit!"

Haha  Yeah I'm definitely going to go with Tikisoo's first-hand observations, which puts that all out to pasture.  I forgot Shatner rode horses, but he did mention it on his more recent TV appearances.  It's a different kind of fun, but a wake up call if you're not accustomed.  Been there done that.  😁

I read a little piece today that observed that, in Shatner's reaction to his experience, he came across like a "normal" person (disclaimer--even though he's been a celeb forever, and in many ways,  "advantaged");  he was, both literally but also figuratively 'transported', excitedly bubbling about what it was like, but Bezos rather obtusely cut it short and cut across all that with his pro forma need to pop champagne with his buddies, etc.   I don't know if that's accurate, only saw a few seconds myself, but that somehow rang true for me.   It was interesting, anyway-- I'll have to try to watch the video.

RMEINGAST,  thank you, that could so easily be the old Loblaws in Oshawa, Ontario, one-time General Motors capital of the world, ha.   They're no doubt all clones of each other....   I wonder if you can still get pre-packaged "Christmas Pudding" there....