Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Heroic William Shatner, senior spaceman

Rich people doing what rich people do.  Way too Gatsby for my liking.  I really don't give a hoot what Shatner or Bezos do, and I wish the world would stop making it seem like Bezos is some kind of hero.  Not movie related, but hey, neither is this topic!

I've never thought of JEFF BEZOS as any kind of "hero", to be sure. 

As far as William Shatner goes well, heck, you can't take it with $you$ so ye may as well spend some of your $dough$ while you're alive.  And Shatner's been alive for 90½ years now so if not now . . . then when?   

In regards to "The Great Gatsby" -- he didn't sniff age 90 so I'm not sure what you mean by Shatner going into space as "way too Gatsby"?  

32 minutes ago, Mr. Gorman said:

I've never thought of JEFF BEZOS as any kind of "hero", to be sure. 

As far as William Shatner goes well, heck, you can't take it with $you$ so ye may as well spend some of your $dough$ while you're alive.  And Shatner's been alive for 90½ years now so if not now . . . then when?   

In regards to "The Great Gatsby" -- he didn't sniff age 90 so I'm not sure what you mean by Shatner going into space as "way too Gatsby"?  

Maybe they tossed some shirts around in zero G.  I must have missed it.

• Like 1

Many of you have referred to Shatner being rich enough to pay for this flight. As I understand it, he was personally invited by Bezos to join & his ride was complimentary.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Many of you have referred to Shatner being rich enough to pay for this flight. As I understand it, he was personally invited by Bezos to join & his ride was complimentary.

Not sure that matters.  He only got "invited" because he made for good publicity...which is exactly what Bezos got. (like he needs it)  I just find it all distasteful.  The new robber barons are not a group I have any affection for.

2 hours ago, overeasy said:

Not sure that matters.  He only got "invited" because he made for good publicity...which is exactly what Bezos got. (like he needs it)  I just find it all distasteful.  The new robber barons are not a group I have any affection for.

Nobody really needs Bezos, he needs them.  He sort of just weasels his way into other people's lives, if they let him.  Personally I only made two or three very small transactions with Amazon in the last 5-6 years, custom small-quantity packages of product that I couldn't seem to find elsewhere (normally sold at larger industrial-quantity scale).  I never got Amazon Prime or any of their other auxiliary services, and perhaps not too surprisingly, I don't have anyone's Internet-connected thermostats, doorbells, talk boxes, or smart phones that spy on you.

I see the guys driving their package delivery trucks all around, blocking traffic everywhere.  I am not mad at them, they are just locals that are happy to work.  Yay.

Having said that, I am happy for William Shatner, even more so if he went on their dime.  He is a bit of an opportunist too, but in a more tasteful way, and he had wanted to go into space.  So it works both ways.

• Like 1

I'm with you Ohio. I do not patronize Amazon because of their shameful business practices and only purchased via Amazon by mistake when discovering they bought out indie ABEBooks.com. Soon there will be no alternatives.

33 minutes ago, Movie Collector OH said:

I don't have anyone's Internet-connected thermostats, doorbells, talk boxes, or smart phones that spy on you.

Amazing that most who have them do not realize the violation. Just tell anyone with the "service" that it (those monitoring) can listen to you having sex, they don't believe it. I tell them to call out "Alexandra" or something similar to see if it responds. 

But the lazy generation thinks it's more convenient to unlock their doors from Italy when I go over to take care of their cat. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, overeasy said:

I'm not crzy about how Mr. Bezos runs his company,  but I'm not seeing anything different from the usual hype and promotion that every company does.

42 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

I'm with you Ohio. I do not patronize Amazon because of their shameful business practices and only purchased via Amazon by mistake when discovering they bought out indie ABEBooks.com. Soon there will be no alternatives.

I don't use them either.   I suspect that if more of the people who say they hate Jeff Bezos actually put their money where their mouths are, he wouldn't have nearly as much excess cash.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, rjbartrop said:

I don't use them either.   I suspect that if more of the people who say they hate Jeff Bezos actually put their money when their mouths are, he wouldn't have nearly as much excess cash.

It's probably just more jealous hypocrites doing what they do and then spouting off again.

14 minutes ago, rjbartrop said:

I don't use them either.   I suspect that if more of the people who say they hate Jeff Bezos actually put their money when their mouths are,

When their mouths are what?  ;)   MY mouth is always my mouth.  And that's my main problem.  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

When their mouths are what?  ;)   MY mouth is always my mouth.  And that's my main problem.  ;) 

Sepiatone

Sorry, that should be where their mouths are.  Fixed.

• Haha 1

Did anyone bring a camera?  I can't find any pictures or video just showing what they saw out of the window.   I can see what looks like cloud covering but not much detail.   

Even if I had the money I would wait until any bugs could be worked out.  I'd certainly want more time up there.  10 minutes includes the most dangerous and butt-puckering parts of lift-off and reentry but little time to enjoy the view.

I also wonder if they were fitted with space diapers.

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

the lazy generation thinks it's more convenient to unlock their doors from Italy when I go over to take care of their cat. 

Just being able to unlock your door when you're in Italy is a concept I find pretty mind-blowing.

13 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Amazing that most who have them do not realize the violation. Just tell anyone with the "service" that it (those monitoring) can listen to you having sex, they don't believe it. I tell them to call out "Alexandra" or something similar to see if it responds. 

But the lazy generation thinks it's more convenient to unlock their doors from Italy when I go over to take care of their cat. 

Here you go Tiki.  I am adding this with you in mind. This I got from Amazon.  It is just plain argon gas, which is heavier than oxygen and thus sinks down below oxygen, preventing stored liquids from drying out or spoiling.   Packaged in small 0.41L containers for convenience. 

http://www.bloxygen.com/home.html

In lieu of that, one could purchase a "small-ish" 8L argon tank, assume all responsibility for unintended consequences and add an appropriate pressure regulator, hose reducer, and capillary tubing to approximate the Bloxygen can and tube, for very roughly 1/5 the price for the same volume of gas (just a quick mental estimate, could be way off, considering all things and it is late at night here). 

https://www.airgas.com/product/Gases/Argon/p/AR 40

So I broke down and went the Amazon route, which was the only choice at the time.  That was to protect an expensive can of Rust Bullet primer.  I have opened that can about 3 times so far over about a 5 or 6 year period, with about 3/4 of it unused.  Knock on wood it is still usable.

Presumably one could also use this to preserve the TCM Wine Club wines, in-between showings of a specific movie!  https://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/forum-twisted.gif

6 hours ago, Movie Collector OH said:

Here you go Tiki.  I am adding this with you in mind. This I got from Amazon.  It is just plain argon gas,

Bookmarked THANK YOU! I waste about $500 worth of materials a year from evaporation...but will try to  find it elsewhere.

13 hours ago, Katie_G said:

I'd certainly want more time up there.  10 minutes includes the most dangerous parts of lift-off and reentry but little time to enjoy the view.

Agreed. The desirable ride would include a few actual orbits once they figure out a safe reentry. I spent many hours of the pandemic watching ISS's Earth Cam Feed. A study in geography. When conditions are right, you can spot the ISS blowing through the night sky above.  

• Like 1
15 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Bookmarked THANK YOU! I waste about $500 worth of materials a year from evaporation...but will try to  find it elsewhere.

Agreed. The desirable ride would include a few actual orbits once they figure out a safe reentry. I spent many hours of the pandemic watching ISS's Earth Cam Feed. A study in geography. When conditions are right, you can spot the ISS blowing through the night sky above.  

Here you go.  This wasn't the case yet back when I got mine.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=bloxygen&_sacat=0

Just so you know, a full can is so lightweight it feels empty.  I got a couple newer backup cans, thinking my first can would be empty, but I am still on that first can.

On 10/17/2021 at 7:33 AM, TikiSoo said:

of course it was complimentary because he IS the captain!

William Shatner on divorce, alcoholism and becoming immortal - Sound Health  and Lasting Wealth