Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

December 2021 scehdule

We seem to be seeing some of the December 202 1 schedule, though there are obvious gaps.  It appears Ingrid Bergman is star of the month, staring with  her  Swedish films.  Also, Lubitsch films are being shown throughout the months, along with the expected Christmas films.  There re at least three showings of the 1949 Little Women,.  Is this anyone's favorite version?

I don't mind the '49 version of LITTLE WOMEN.  I don't turn it off when it airs, anyway.  I reckon you could do far worse for entertainment value than watching the first color remake of "Little Women".

• Like 2
3 hours ago, skimpole said:

There re at least three showings of the 1949 Little Women,.  Is this anyone's favorite?

I love this version! It's beautifully shot, moves at a quick pace and I think the ensemble cast is terrific in it.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, skimpole said:

We seem to be seeing some of the December 202 1 schedule, though there are obvious gaps.  It appears Ingrid Bergman is star of the month, staring with  her  Swedish films.  Also, Lubitsch films are being shown throughout the months, along with the expected Christmas films.  There re at least three showings of the 1949 Little Women,.  Is this anyone's favorite?

I actually do like the 1949 film more than I used to, but the 1933 version with Katharine Hepburn will always be my favorite.

The 1994 version with Susan Sarandon is also quite watchable. Haven't seen the recent versions though.

Daytime December 1 is Fred and Ginger movies. They skip right over Top Hat, for some unfathomable reason.

Flying Down to Rio (Dolores Del Rio, Gene Raymond) (RKO, 1933)
The Gay Divrocee (Fred Astaire, Ginger Rogers) (RKO, 1934)
Roberta (Irene Dunne, Fred Astaire) (RKO, 1935)
Follow the Fleet (Fred Astaire, Ginger Rogers) (RKO, 1936) 
Shall We Dance? (Fred Astaire, Ginger Rogers) (RKO, 1937)
The Story of Vernon and Irene Castle (Fred Astaire, Ginger Rogers) (RKO, 1939)
The Barkleys of Broadway (Fred Astaire, Ginger Rogers) (MGM, 1949)

• Like 2
5 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Daytime December 1 is Fred and Ginger movies. They skip right over Top Hat, for some unfathomable reason.

Flying Down to Rio (Dolores Del Rio, Gene Raymond) (RKO, 1933)
The Gay Divrocee (Fred Astaire, Ginger Rogers) (RKO, 1934)
Roberta (Irene Dunne, Fred Astaire) (RKO, 1935)
Follow the Fleet (Fred Astaire, Ginger Rogers) (RKO, 1936) 
Shall We Dance? (Fred Astaire, Ginger Rogers) (RKO, 1937)
The Story of Vernon and Irene Castle (Fred Astaire, Ginger Rogers) (RKO, 1939)
The Barkleys of Broadway (Fred Astaire, Ginger Rogers) (MGM, 1949)

Also missing Swing Time, for only slightly less unfathomable reason.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, skimpole said:

Also missing Swing Time, for only slightly less unfathomable reason.

9 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Top Hat is scheduled just 2 days before on 11/28; Swing Time later in the month on 12/26.

• Thanks 1

Primetime December 1 and all daytime December 2 is Star of the Month Ingrid Bergman. This collection of late '30s to mid '40s films skips over Columbia's Adam Had Four Sons, I believe her American debut, and Paramount's For Whom the Bell Tolls, which I'm pretty sure was her personal favorite, as she always dismissed Casablanca as a piece of fluff, as far as I could tell. TCM has shown both of them before.  Also missing is the American remake of Intermezzo.

Intermezzo (Gosta Ekman, Ingrid Bergman) (Dist. in the US by Scandinavian Talking Pictures, 1937)
Dollar (Ingrid Bergman, Georg Rydeberg) (IMDB lists no US distributor; it was released in Sweden by Svensk Filmindustri in 1938)
A Woman's Face (Ingrid Bergman, Tore Svennberg) (Dist. in the US by Scandinavian Talking Pictures, 1939)
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (Spencer Tracy, Lana Turner) (MGM, 1941)
Rage in Heaven (Robert Montgomery, Ingrid Bergman) (MGM, 1941)
Walpurgis Night (Lars Hanson, Karin Kavli) (Dist. in the US by Scandinavian Talking Pictures, 1941)
Swedenhielms (Gosta Ekman, Bjorn Berglund) (Dist. in the US by Scandinavian Talking Pictures, 1941)
Casablanca (Humphrey Bogart, Ingrid Bergman) (Warner Bros., 1943)
Gaslight (Ingrid Bergman, Charles Boyer) (MGM., 1944)
Saratoga Trunk (Gary Cooper, Ingrid Bergman) (Warner Bros., 1945)
The Count of the Old Town (Valdemar Dalquist, Julia Caesar) (Dist. in the US by Rare Films and More, 2016)

• Like 1

Primetime December 2 I have no idea what the theme is, and not having any idea, I don't even have any idea when the primetime lineup ends and late night programming begins. But my guess is Really, Really Famous On-Screen Couples. I think there was one in October or November that was final pairings of famous on-screen couples, so maybe this is first pairings of same!  Desi is also in that first one. The first movie of the night is unlisted, possibly an out-of-library film TCM couldn't secure the rights for? Or are perhaps still in the process of securing?

Too Many Girls (Lucille Ball, Richard Carlson) (RKO, 1940)
Woman of the Year (Spencer Tracy, Katharine Hepburn) (MGM, 1942)
To Have and Have Not (Humphrey Bogart, Lauren Bacall) (Warner Bros., 1944)

Then, I'm really uncertain about the late night theme (if this is indeed where it starts). It might be relatives who try to break up couples, but if anyone has a better guess, I'm all ears.

The Silver Cord (Irene Dunne, Joel McCrea) (RKO, `1933)
His Brother's Wife (Barbara Stanwyck, Robert Taylor) (MGM, 1936)
Brother Rat (Ronald Reagan, Jane Wyman) (Warner Bros., 1938)

Daytime December 3 Looks like daytime noirs

Night Parade (Hugh Trevor, Robert Ellis) (RKO, 1929)
Madam Satan (Kay Johnson, Reginald Denny) (MGM, 1930)
Journal of a Crime (Ruth Chatterton, Adolphe Menjou) (Warner Bros., 1934)
Satan Met a Lady (Bette Davis, Warren William) (Warner Bros., 1936)
The Strange Love of Martha Ivers (Barbara Stanwyck, Van Heflin) (Paramount, 1946)
The Man Who Cheated Himself (Lee J. Cobb, Jane Wyatt) (20th Century Fox, 1950)
Madeleine (Ann Todd, Norman Wooland) (Dist. in the US by Universal-International, 1950)

The lineup for primetime and late night of December 3 is completely unpublished, so who knows?

Morning December 4 Saturday matinee. I'm only listing the features

Torchy Runs for Mayor (Glenda Farrell, Barton MacLane) (Warner Bros., 1939)
The Cheyenne Social Club (James Stewart, Henry Fonda) (National General, 1970)

Afternoon appears to be Christmas movies, the first run of them this month.

Meet Me in St. Louis (Judy Garland, Tom Drake) (MGM, 1944)
It Happened on Fifth Avenue (Don DeFore, Gale Storm) (Allied Artists, 1947)
Little Women (June Allyson, Rossano Brazi) (MGM, 1949)

30 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

TCM does tend to show the same Christmas movies every year.

1) The Christmas movies you want to see are probably controlled by other studios. 2) Programming The Thin Man and That's Entertainment movies spares the programmers having to think very much.

That said, I'm intrigued by the Ernst Lubitsch programming--especially Three Women (1924), scheduled for 10:30pm (EST), 12/14/21. Is this a TCM premiere?

On 10/19/2021 at 9:06 PM, sewhite2000 said:

Primetime December 2 I have no idea what the theme is, and not having any idea, I don't even have any idea when the primetime lineup ends and late night programming begins. But my guess is Really, Really Famous On-Screen Couples. I think there was one in October or November that was final pairings of famous on-screen couples, so maybe this is first pairings of same!  Desi is also in that first one. The first movie of the night is unlisted, possibly an out-of-library film TCM couldn't secure the rights for? Or are perhaps still in the process of securing?

Too Many Girls (Lucille Ball, Richard Carlson) (RKO, 1940)
Woman of the Year (Spencer Tracy, Katharine Hepburn) (MGM, 1942)
To Have and Have Not (Humphrey Bogart, Lauren Bacall) (Warner Bros., 1944)

Then, I'm really uncertain about the late night theme (if this is indeed where it starts). It might be relatives who try to break up couples, but if anyone has a better guess, I'm all ears.

The Silver Cord (Irene Dunne, Joel McCrea) (RKO, `1933)
His Brother's Wife (Barbara Stanwyck, Robert Taylor) (MGM, 1936)
Brother Rat (Ronald Reagan, Jane Wyman) (Warner Bros., 1938)

Stanwyck & Taylor, McCrea & Frances Dee (Dee appears in The Silver Cord)  as well as Reagan & Wyman are real life couples as are Ball & Arnaz, Tracy & Hepburn and Bogart & Bacall.  A cool theme.

• Thanks 1