Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Great Houses in Films You'd Like to Move Into

I like most of the usual candidates, including the "Christmas in Connecticut" house--  those slanting-out windows in the niche where Dennis Morgan serenades Stanwyck,  dreamy!   And that incredible oversize hearth.

The apartment that Myrna Loy and Fredric March lived in in "Best Years of Our Lives".

"Scotty's"  Fifties'  Modern apartment in "Vertigo".

And on the topic of midcentury modern, what beats that fortress-like house of James Mason smack outside of Rapid City, conveniently constructed so Cary could sneak into it.   And with its own air field....

In a more formal, traditional vein, have always been taken with Ingrid Bergman's London flat (that Cary's gleefully entering below) in "Indiscreet".   Lamp-lit, quietly luxurious, those squishy couches.  Maybe just a few too many objects, but still, it's cozy clutter.  I was stunned to hear Dennis Miller say that it was one of his favorites too.  He drools over movie interiors as obsessively as I do:

36.png

What movie rooms could you move into?

• Like 2

I would love to move into the Von Trapp's mansion in THE SOUND OF MUSIC.....such beautiful surroundings. I love nature. But no Nazis allowed on the property, ever!

I also wouldn't mind living in the O'Hara house in Tara in GONE WITH THE WIND pre-civil war. Everyone would be welcome there and treated equal. No slaves.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

BETHLUVSFILMS--   Both of your candidates, so spacious and grand, and as you say, in such gorgeous natural settings.  Yes to moving right in.

Wow, RJBARTROP,  I like some Brutalist architecture, didn't realize there was neo-Brutalism!   Very swank and Bondian.  And that chair, rust colored chair-- how amusingly bulbous.  For some reason, that shape reminds me of an oversized tooth...

I've never seen "How to Steal a Million",  LIZBETH4,  but that image is very promising.  Audrey looks so at home in such an elegant setting.

Swiss Family Robinson. 😎 Just So Long As it Comes "Furnished" with Dorothy MaGuire and John Mills mind you, lol. Have ALWAYS, Wanted a Pirate Alarm. Lol.

If That Phantasmagorical Living Residence is Not, on the market however. Micmacs, it is.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, lilypond said:

Wow, RJBARTROP,  I like some Brutalist architecture, didn't realize there was neo-Brutalism!

I've seen the terms used interchangeably, so it's all good :)

And I so want to book a room here:

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJhcmVuYV9pbWFnZXMiLCJrZXki

Whatever it lacks in accommodations, the view will more than make up for it.

• Haha 1

ARITOSTHENES,     I forgot the Swiss Family Robinson tree house!  That was ingenious, and one of my first "house loves" in movies.

Ha, RJBARTROP,  it's a mad, Mod world.

SKIMPOLE,    there has to be an Oscar (or the European equivalent) in those films for art direction--  Old World lush!

• Like 1

I don't know why I didn't post the Van Damm house near Rapid City referenced in my original post.  Probably because we've all seen it so many times.  But I never get tired of it.    Those sleek lines!   And inside, that double height ceiling and all the wood and stone.  They even put Eva Marie Saint in a sort of rich terra cotta dress to complement the rustic, autumnal tones of the living room....    Too bad it was all flim-flam, not a real house!

b9dfda_a99ff01062d447bea4261cf79a7ffa12~

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Interesting question and great houses have been posted.  Here are my picks.  I love the hominess and setting of the house in "Holliday Inn".  Pretty windows and fireplace.  When I was a kid, I loved the idea of Holiday Inn and only working on holidays.

A Classic White Christmas in the Movie "Holiday Inn" - Hooked on Houses    image.jpeg.8f90b368aee0e6fc98b5bfdf82508c22.jpeg

I also love the gorgeous house in the woods on the lake in "Leave Her to Heaven" starring Gene Tierney.

image.jpeg.a1f296a8f6cf3c21013f2d40cad66c7e.jpeg    image.jpeg.10e8f89ff5f9bc1383367437581a4f7e.jpeg

• Like 6

Two of my other favorites, I was forgetting, TOTO!   Really, there are too many to keep in mind all at once.   "Holiday Inn", New England perfection.   And loved all the interiors in the overheated "Leave Her To Heaven",  but that cabin is just the best!   When people complain that classic noirs should all be in black and white (and I mostly agree with that), still, "Leave Her to Heaven",   makes a persuasive case for its ravishing color-- it's so lurid and memorable.

For anyone who likes movie interiors,  Marina Coates, a cinema addict architect, has a whole site devoted to that.   For some reason, the computer won't let me post the link, but a search of Marina Coates Mockingbird Lane brings it right up.  I just checked, and her most recent ones are, lo and behold, on the "North by Northwest" house, and on Rob and Laura Petrie's house on the "D i c k Van D yke" Show....

• Like 1
14 hours ago, lilypond said:

"Scotty's"  Fifties'  Modern apartment in "Vertigo".

I've been to the home that was used as the exterior of his apartment.  It's on Lombard Street in San Francisco, one block down from the famous "world's crookedest street" block of Lombard.  (If you look closely, you'll see it in the process shots of Stewart driving.)  I imagine that one of the owners' head was spinning from too much VERTIGO tourism because there is now a large wall in front of the building that blocks the view of the edifice.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The house built for Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House (yes, an actual house!) still stands in the Malibu, CA. hills.  The land is now part of Malibu Creek State Park, and the house is used for the administrative offices for park employees.  Recently I read that several such houses were built across the USA.   But back in 1948 (if I were alive) I would like to have lived there, with its red, green, yellow, blue, and white rooms. 

Speaking of Cary Grant, I also like the set for the house in 1947's The Bachelor and the Bobby Soxer.  The bedrooms are so huge, as I recall each with a fireplace.

Another favorite is the cottage Dorothy McGuire takes Gregory Peck to see in Gentleman's Agreement.  One of my favorite Best Picture Oscar winners, the cottage is so comfy looking I could easily movie right in, also from 1947. 

In addition to the lake house in Leave Her to Heaven, I  love their terrific house in the Southwest, can't remember if it's Arizona or New Mexico.  The set designer was nominated, but was robbed of the Oscar for Best Color Interior Decoration.

And I totally agree with the Black Hills house in N By NW.  Again an Oscar nod for Color Art & Set Decoration, but no win.

• Like 3

I was always fond of the VAN DAMM place in NORTH BY NORTHWEST.  But too bad it wasn't a real place. 

But too,I kinda like  Spencer Tracy's abode in FATHER OF THE BRIDE.  :)

Sepiatone

• Like 4

The Van Damm house would be my #1, followed closely by Bacall's apartment in Dark Passage, which sort of exists.  As I understand it, the apartment interiors were recreated on a soundstage, but they used the building interiors and exteriors as well.

• Like 1

So many great examples of interior sets, and fascinating back stories,  thanks observant film viewers--

TXFLMFAN,   Bacall's apartment in "Dark Passage" is one that I swoon over every time.  It has that glamorous 'Forties' Modern' feeling, yet it's intimate and cozy.    When Bogey's there with her, it seems like such a safe little cocoon, away from the forces that threaten to expose him or take them down.

Love her spiral staircase..... 

When I read the title of this thread "Christmas in Connecticut,"  was the first one that came to mind.

If you haven't discovered  Hooked on Houses I'm guessing you'd like to give it a glance. 

Julia has captured stills from hundreds of movies along with little recaps of what's going on.

• Like 1
On 10/14/2021 at 6:17 PM, lilypond said:

n a more formal, traditional vein, have always been taken with Ingrid Bergman's London flat (that Cary's gleefully entering below) in "Indiscreet".   Lamp-lit, quietly luxurious, those squishy couches.  Maybe just a few too many objects, but still, it's cozy clutter.  I was stunned to hear Dennis Miller say that it was one of his favorites too.  He drools over movie interiors as obsessively as I do:

Art direction and set decoration - however they're termed now - are a category or categories I have only the vaguest knowledge  or appreciation of. If it's great, I probably don't notice it was the result of intense and deliberate effort until after several repeated viewings. I rememberasking something about the peculiar breakfast nook in Bergman's flat in Inidscreet in another thread long ago, and I got several informative answers from other members far more knowledgeable of these things than I.

• Like 1

Brian Keith's beautiful luxurious home in Disney's The Parent Trap. you can see the stone decor interior from the windows of the kitchen.

and he gives that up for a new york penthouse apartment in Family Affair.

:lol:

• Like 3