Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So who killed Andrew and Abby Borden?

A non-political  question. Do you think Lizzie did it? Was she acquitted just because the good people of 1893 Boston couldn't see hanging an upper class white woman without clear proof she did it? Just wondering. 

This was one of the earliest trail by media events and speculations runs amok .  We didn't have the forensic technology back then.  All together the jury reached a reasonable conclusion.

Motive...Bridget Sullivan ordered to wash ALL those windows on a scorching hot day?  Who wouldn't grab an axe?  (take into consideration the clothes women had to wear during the time period --whew!:o)

lizzie-borden-home-tout-1.jpg

:blink:

23 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

I guess Hillary Clinton is out of the question.

Maybe Hillary's  great grandfather? No, seriously. I just don't see how it couldn't be Lizzie since detailed testimony about where people were and for how long doesn't really give any intruder long enough to have done the deeds unnoticed and then leave, also unnoticed. But absence of any other suspect doesn't make the suspect you have necessarily guilty. I'm sure the jurors debated that point. Lizzie's uncle- her late mother's brother -  was in town and staying at their house, having arrived the night before the murders. He had an ironclad alibi for his whereabouts during the time the murders took place. 

One reason Lizzie might have been acquitted - Five days before the trial's commencement, on June 1, another axe murder occurred in Fall River. This time the victim was Bertha Manchester, who was found hacked to death in her kitchen. The jurors must have thought - another violent crime just like this one and this time Lizzie for sure  didn't do it. Later, when they caught the killer, it was determined he was not in Fall River the day the Bordens were killed. 

"Legend of Lizzie Borden" with Elizabeth Montgomery in the title role (1975) came out when I was a senior in high school. It shows the only way Lizzie could have done this was to strip nude first and wash the blood off after each killing. We were discussing this in my high school history class. The teacher said - Yes, it could have been done that way. But that it would be unthinkable for a well brought up young woman of the Victorian era  like Lizzie to go around the house naked. I still remember and smile at that remark. 

1 hour ago, hamradio said:

This was one of the earliest trail by media events and speculations runs amok .  We didn't have the forensic technology back then.  All together the jury reached a reasonable conclusion.

Motive...Bridget Sullivan ordered to wash ALL those windows on a scorching hot day?  Who wouldn't grab an axe?  (take into consideration the clothes women had to wear during the time period --whew!:o)

lizzie-borden-home-tout-1.jpg

:blink:

And it was a very hot day - close to 100 degrees I believe.