Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommended Posts

that there is a 1972 TV-movie version of Harvey with James Stewart reprising his role of Elwood P. Dowd.

incredible! I wanna see it!

no chance here.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068680/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_14

Trivia

James Stewart has said that he was more satisfied with his performance as Elwood P. Dowd in this film than he was in the more famous 1950 screen version ("Harvey (1950)").
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

that there is a 1972 TV-movie version of Harvey with James Stewart reprising his role of Elwood P. Dowd.

incredible! I wanna see it!

no chance here.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068680/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_14

Trivia

James Stewart has said that he was more satisfied with his performance as Elwood P. Dowd in this film than he was in the more famous 1950 screen version ("Harvey (1950)").

I remember seeing it when it aired originally.  It was a Hallmark Hall of Fame presentation, and those were always appointment television in our house until the mid-70s.  I'm sure Hallmark has it locked up in their vaults somewhere...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless they still have owners, or found minor VHS releases, the Hallmark Hall of Fame broadcasts, like other 70's TV-movies, have mostly sunk into public domain orphan status.

They're hard to track down, as they don't have the HHoF name on them, and you have to rely on memory (with a little help from IMDb)--I managed to find the Johnny Whitaker/Fred Gwynne The Littlest Angel and the Eddie Albert The Borrowers on the PD backwaters of Amazon , and found Mia Farrow's Peter Pan musical (not the Mary Martin version) on YouTube,  but I'm still searching for that 1973 live-action stage-concert version of You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown, the George C. Scott Beauty & the Beast, the Anthony Hopkins Hunchback of Notre Dame, or David Niven in the 1975 The Canterville Ghost.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 The runtime says 1hr 16mins so it was likely produced for one of those long-gone 90-minute time slots the networks were programming in the '70s.  I think the 1950 theatrical film ran 100m. or so.  

You know, Nipkow Disc, you could check eBay and see if there's a copy for sale.  You could type "JAMES STEWART - Harvey" -or- "James Stewart - Harvey - Hallmark" in the 'Movie & TV' subject line and see what pops up.     

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

I remember seeing it when it aired originally.  It was a Hallmark Hall of Fame presentation, and those were always appointment television in our house until the mid-70s.  I'm sure Hallmark has it locked up in their vaults somewhere...

maybe those Hallmark scroats destroyed it like they have with Filmation cartoons.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The only  televised version of HARVEY I recall seeing was an early '60's (maybe late '50's?) presentation in which ART CARNEY handled the role of Elwood P. Dowd.    So long ago I really don't recall much about it.   And also can't find any info about it.

Sepiatone

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

The only  televised version of HARVEY I recall seeing was an early '60's (maybe late '50's?) presentation in which ART CARNEY handled the role of Elwood P. Dowd.    So long ago I really don't recall much about it.   And also can't find any info about it.

Sepiatone

Part of the Dupont Show of the Month anthology series.  This episode aired live from NYC, and also featured Marion Lorne, Elizabeth Montgomery, Charlotte Rae, Larry Blyden and Fred Gwynne (who was also in the Jimmy Stewart TV version)

IMDb entry:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0352389/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_76

The kinescope is available on YouTube:

 

 

 

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2021 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...