Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Michael Caine, 88, Sort of Low-Key Announces His Retirement from Acting

I recall reading that in mid-2016  Michael Caine officially changed his name to . . ."Michael Caine".  He had never legally changed it until he was 83.  His passport had his real name "Maurice Micklewhite" and, apparently, this would throw off the security guards at airports so he could be standing around for an hour or so while he was verified as "Maurice Micklewhite".  So it seems that this was the motivation for him to change his legal name "by deed poll" to his stage name:  All the heightened security checks at airports. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Caine has had a long and distinguished career that he deserves to enjoy the rest of his life as he wants. He's had a few clunkers in his career, but what actor hasn't?

Caine's record of many respectable performances speaks for itself. I always enjoys his performances

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Caine's had a few clunkers in his career, but what actor hasn't?

(SNORTS)

Yes, a few.

That said, MICHAEL CAINE is one of the best actors of the last 100 years, and honestly, I have come to love him as much for his- how shall I say it?- "all serious offers accepted" policy, compiled with the fact that he always gives 110%- basically the hardest working hooker on the docks- no matter what the project.

I've sometimes wondered though that if you offered SIR MICHAEL $20 million to star in a snuff movie, whether he'd even stop to consider before asking that you send the contracts 'round to his people.

• Haha 3
15 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Sounds like he means, it, though he's pretty much been in every recent Christopher Nolan film (I don't think he was in Dunkirk, unless I missed him), and maybe he would return for a one-scene cameo in one or two of those in the future? Anyway, here it is:

https://www.avclub.com/michael-caine-says-hes-retiring-from-acting-1847875842

He does have a very brief, uncredited voiceover performance in DUNKIRK, as an RAF Spitfire pilot, which apparently was Nolan's nod to Caine's role in BATTLE OF BRITAIN (1969). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Terrific screen presence.  You always watch what his character is doing because he's that good.

But you know what... I don't think Caine will ever retire.  I just don't buy that one.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, UMO1982 said:

Uh .... then why is he attached to star with Glenda Jackson in THE GREAT ESCAPER?

This is not a film he mentioned in the interview snippet I provided a link to above. It is listed on imdb that it's in pre-production, which means it could get made with a different leading man or not get made at all. IMDB also has him tentatively returning for Now You See Me 3, but I assume his screen time in that film, if there is any at all, will be very small.

Yes... just saying the film is in pre-production with Caine and Jackson attached. It may never get made or it may get made with other actors, but at least Caine's intention was to keep working at some point. These films listed as being in pre-production often never get made. After all this category still includes Glenn Close in SUNSET BOULEVARD and Barbra Streisand in GYPSY and Warren Beatty in a DICK TRACY project.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, UMO1982 said:

Yes... just saying the film is in pre-production with Caine and Jackson attached. It may never get made or it may get made with other actors, but at least Caine's intention was to keep working at some point. These films listed as being in pre-production often never get made. After all this category still includes Glenn Close in SUNSET BOULEVARD and Barbra Streisand in GYPSY and Warren Beatty in a DICK TRACY project.

Are they not making the “Sunset Boulevard“ movie after all?

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Are they not making the “Sunset Boulevard“ movie after all?

I think the project has been shelved.  I just looked it up on IMBD and it's no longer 'in production', it isn't on Glenn Close's list of credits at all.

• Thanks 1
43 minutes ago, UMO1982 said:

It's been in "development hell" for years. 

5 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

I think the project has been shelved.  I just looked it up on IMBD and it's no longer 'in production', it isn't on Glenn Close's list of credits at all.

It’s probably for the best....For multiple reasons.

1 hour ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

You're right! That's a very recent take down.....

Still won't let me post images.....

IMDb pro says SUNSET BOULEVARD went into turnaround October 6. So it's officially dead in the water just like Joe Gillis.

Here's a screenshot

[url=https://postimages.org/][img]https://i.postimg.cc/HxX9dcXw/SUNSET.jpg[/img][/url]

• Haha 2

So, this update, also from AV Club:

This weekend, Michael Caine announced that he is retiring from acting, revealing that his most recent film, Best Sellers, will be his final acting role. Then, a few hours and probably a few panicked phone calls later, Michael Caine’s representatives announced that, no, he’s not retiring, and nobody has any idea what anyone is talking about. He’s just a very old man who has been working for many, many years, why would he retire?

Remember when GENE HACKMAN, now 91, retired?  He really didn't make any announcements from what I recall back in 2004 or '05.  His last movie to date I believe was the Ray Romano comedy WELCOME TO MOOSEPORT released in 2004.   

SEAN CONNERY, born in 1930 like Gene Hackman, retired around the same time circa 2004 if I'm not mistaken.  I recall Connery was very displeased about "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" and its director, Stephen Norrington.  I just don't remember why offhand . . .