Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Classic Horror with Mario Cantone


Cybele
 Share

Recommended Posts

I'm so looking forward to this tonight! It's definitely my go-to on Sunday nights... I love horror... I love me some Mario and I... hmmm yeah...

It's gonna be a great night!! Two of my faves !!  "Poltergeist" and then the best of the two...  "Burnt Offerings".  It could only get better if they were playing "The Sentinel" circa 1977 instead of  "Poltergeist"

 

But... you don't always get what you wish for... 🧛‍♂🎃

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Cybele said:

I'm so looking forward to this tonight! It's definitely my go-to on Sunday nights... I love horror... I love me some Mario and I... hmmm yeah...

It's gonna be a great night!! Two of my faves !!  "Poltergeist" and then the best of the two...  "Burnt Offerings".  It could only get better if they were playing "The Sentinel" circa 1977 instead of  "Poltergeist"

 

But... you don't always get what you wish for... 🧛‍♂🎃

I saw that in the theaters as a child. I don't know what my older brother was thinking taking me to see that 😆

I did enjoy it.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Cybele said:

I'm so looking forward to this tonight! It's definitely my go-to on Sunday nights... I love horror... I love me some Mario and I... hmmm yeah...

It's gonna be a great night!! Two of my faves !!  "Poltergeist" and then the best of the two...  "Burnt Offerings".  It could only get better if they were playing "The Sentinel" circa 1977 instead of  "Poltergeist"

 

But... you don't always get what you wish for... 🧛‍♂🎃

Let me know if Your UpFor, /Interested In a Bushel Basket of Horror Recommendations..

If Not. Absolutely No Biggie.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I remember The Sentinel (1977). 

That was a Universal Picture.  Had a big name cast + some real-life 'freaks' in it.  Something else I remember for some reason:  Jeff Goldblum had a small part and some of his dialogue was dubbed by someone else.  It's not all his real voice when his character speaks. 

Here's a mid-70s movie that popped into my head:  GOD TOLD ME TO (1976)  (aka:  "Demon").  Had a good cast, too.  It was a little bit confusing the first time I watched it.  The second time I watched it I enjoyed it more.  Not a great movie, but not bad either.  TCM may have shown "God Told Me To" before . . . I can't remember for certain, but I think so. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Cybele said:

and then the best of the two...  "Burnt Offerings"

I saw that for the first time last night. I liked it 6/10, worth seeing for the cast. Oliver Reed seems menacing even when he is trying to be nice. Karen Black does a good job, this was the same year she played in Hitchcock's last film Family Plot. Bette Davis has a small role, though it can't compare to her great stuff of the 1930s and 1940s, she brings her professionalism to it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was waiting for Silent Sunday Nights last night because they had a premiere, and as a result I caught the wrap-around with Ben and Mario Cantone. I haven't been watching the Sunday night primetime films because, so far, they have just not been up my alley. I remember the thread complaining about him and now I get it. Never have I seen an adult so in need of a valium. If he was a child I'd have him evaluated for ADHD. He didn't add much to the discussion and he seemed to be making Ben as frustrated as I was. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I remember the thread complaining about him, too, since I said I was ready to dismiss the motives of the first poster who complained about him and was instantly assaulted by another poster on herethat I was potentially he worst human being of all time for suggesting such a motive might possbly exist, even though I'd partially backtracked in my original post based on further things that poster had to say . Don't know if that thread still exists. Some of the ensuing conversation was deleted, and possibly now the entire thread has been. I didn't watch the night you're referring to, but I watched the first night and thought Mario had many interesting things to say, with a few semi-crazy inserts aside, and I didn't object to him at all. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As I recall, in the original thread there was a concern expressed that Cantone would make fun of some of the greatest classic horror movies.  This hasn't happened.  He's clearly really enthusiastic about the films he's introducing,  I enjoy his film choices and he's entertaining.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I didn't care for most of Mr. Cantone's Halloween selections, particularly the 2 movies on Halloween itself--Blow Out and Psycho. For me, these are not really Halloween movies. And also, I find the Brian DePalma movie too creepy and murdery to enjoy. A lot of DePalma's movies seem on the misogynistic side, in my opinion. Though I love Carrie! But for Halloween, I would have preferred the TCM selections to have more witches, ghosts, etc. and also an implied sense of justice in the storylines. I enjoy when a villain is defeated. It can be a thrilling battle but with an end that doesn't leave you feeling depressed, as Blow Out does for me. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Twokeets said:

I didn't care for most of Mr. Cantone's Halloween selections, particularly the 2 movies on Halloween itself--Blow Out and Psycho. For me, these are not really Halloween movies. And also, I find the Brian DePalma movie too creepy and murdery to enjoy. A lot of DePalma's movies seem on the misogynistic side, in my opinion. Though I love Carrie! But for Halloween, I would have preferred the TCM selections to have more witches, ghosts, etc. and also an implied sense of justice in the storylines. I enjoy when a villain is defeated. It can be a thrilling battle but with an end that doesn't leave you feeling depressed, as Blow Out does for me. 

Re the ending of Blow Out...

This was the second time I watched this film, the first time being when it was first released, and all I can say is, well, how much did DePalma want me to suspend my level of disbelief in this movie?

I mean REALLY?! Travolta drives his car at high speed through hundreds of people in that parade and somehow doesn't hit anyone, but THEN after he crashes into that store's display window, all they do is call for an ambulance to take him away to the hospital and there's not ONE cop who was chasing after him while he was doing this? Or worse STILL, after endangering all those people in that parade, no one else thinks to call for the cops to take his sorry butt to jail. But THEN, while Travolta is in that ambulance with the head injury, he suddenly awakens and bolts from it in efforts to save Nancy Allen's life???

Nope, after watching THAT all unfold again last night, I could NOT believe Mario Cantone AND Ben actually RAVED about this stupid flick!!!

(...as you can maybe tell, I came away thinking this movie wasn't very good the FIRST time I watched it 40 years ago, and after watching it again last night, my opinion of it and ESPECIALLY its ending remains pretty darn low)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There's a lot of scenes like that in movies, tho, isn't there DARGO?   Either you can suspend your disbelief -- even if ever-so-briefly -- or you cannot.  Just one of those things that crop up in films too numerous to mention. 

Ergo, DARGO, let me recommend a movie where you can watch and be +positively+ revolted without having to suspend your disbelief to Unholy Levels!  😁

POOR WHITE TRASH 2 (1974)  [Aka:  "Scum of the Earth"].  Guaranteed enjoyment . . . or something. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Mr. Gorman said:

There's a lot of scenes like that in movies, tho, isn't there DARGO?   Either you can suspend your disbelief -- even if ever-so-briefly -- or you cannot.  Just one of those things that crop up in films too numerous to mention. 

Ergo, DARGO, let me recommend a movie where you can watch and be +positively+ revolted without having to suspend your disbelief to Unholy Levels!  😁

POOR WHITE TRASH 2 (1974)  [Aka:  "Scum of the Earth"].  Guaranteed enjoyment . . . or something. 

 

 

Oh yes, Mr.G. There certainly are.

(...and it seems especially so and ironically or coincidentally in THIS case, movies made starting around 1981...and directed by that ripoff artist Brian DePalma)  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/1/2021 at 12:23 PM, Dargo said:

 

Nope, after watching THAT all unfold again last night, I could NOT believe Mario Cantone AND Ben actually RAVED about this stupid flick!!!

 

Maybe they mostly raved about that sorority shower scene in the beginning.....?  ;) 

Sepiatone

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...