Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

BURNT OFFERINGS (1976)

Allhallowsday

Speaking of DARK SHADOWS, I love DAN CURTIS' work, even THE NORLISS TAPES, but...

BURNT OFFERINGS (1976) was on TCM tonight.  I saw this movie in 1976 on a double bill with CARRIE in Irvington, NJ.    The film was what I remembered, and despite MARIO CANTONE's opinion, I don't love it.  

I will say that I went to Wikipedia and read incorrect information there (it is NOT the only theatrically released film that DAN CURTIS directed - he directed both HOUSE and NIGHT OF DARK SHADOWS)! 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

BURNT OFFERINGS (1976) was on TCM tonight.  I saw this movie in 1976

I have seen it first run then and did not like it either,the film was a stiff anyway at the box office and deserved it.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

Y'mean ever'body not having happy end? 

SPOILERS

i mean, A LOT of directors would've ended the movie with a tight shot of KAREN BLACK'S ICE BLUE EYES WHEN FIRST WE SEE WHAT HAS HAPPENED, but CURTIS "goes there" and gives us that windshield shot, and then everything with the kid that follows.

21 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

... and in the time we get the looking up shot... why not run away...?  Talk about standing under a "brick wall" ...

and also, why not run into the house to start with since that's where his mom is? [ or better yet, THE HELL out of there in general?]

IT IS WHAT IT IS, and that's what makes it a unique ending. (DAN CURTIS , like ED WOOD, did not spend a lot of time asking questions, he just pointed and shot)

i will note that the child actor who plays the part, LEE MONTGOMERY, grew up to be GORGEOUS:

See the source image

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

I actually enjoy the movie, it's so dark and creepy and that chauffer guy really creeped me out with that grin! 

And what a cast too....Oliver Reed, Karen Black, Bette Davis. And the ending is certainly shocking enough to have haunted me for days.

I saw this as a young teen and the one thing that stuck with me was that scary as hell chauffeur! He freaking terrified me!  Next time I saw it was as a middle aged adult and Anthony James still scared the bejeebers out of me!

Now as I'm in my early dotage and getting ready to watch it again, I can at least use my age as an excuse for the sudden incontinence.

Remembering-Burnt-Offerings.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Citizen Ed said:

Anthony James still scared the bejeebers out of me!

Definitely creepy, as nonsensical as much of the script, though, the character was created for the film but not "the book" which had been based upon the author's un-produced screenplay... thank you wiki, hope you're right this time. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

To me, the entire movie is THE ENDING, its got one of the most unique endings of any film ever. 

Don't know about "unique" (any brains that went into the script were the book's fault), but dang lights-on CREEPIEST ending for a 70's-supernatural ever:   😨

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOrTKKjFOJ4

(Yeah, sort of like The Shining, only...makes sense and more unnerving.)

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

Definitely creepy, as nonsensical as much of the script, though, the character was created for the film but not "the book" which had been based upon the author's un-produced screenplay... thank you wiki, hope you're right this time. 

I read the book and yeah, I don't remember him being in there.

And yes it was as nonsensical as the movie.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

He must have played GEORGE C. SCOTT and TRISH VAN DEVERE's son at the beginning of THE SAVAGE IS LOOSE (1974) a film I saw once, but remember the climax too well.  Now THAT is a "once is enough" movie if I've ever seen one. 

yeah, i read about that movie, it sounds awful!

23 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

I think paychecks were key attractions for all three, 'specially since Ben and MARIO shared that the three apparently did not get on well... 

OLIVER REED not get along with someone?!

WHAT'S THIS YOU SAY?!

No. I don't believe it. He seems like such a friendly guy.

(heavy sarcasm,)

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

he's also in THE MIDNIGHT HOUR,  a 1985 ABC TV Movie that was made to copy THRILLER and is a lot of fun...and usually on YOUTUBE...

I love a lot of Made-for-TV movies (thank you DAN CURTIS -for one).  I learned today that LEE MONTGOMERY and I are almost exactly the same age.  (I'm 2 days older). 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

heavy sarcasm

Y'think?  :D MARIO and Ben told a story of OLIVER running up and down the hotel hallays on a major bender (BETTE did not care for this   one   bit . )

If you read Hollywood memoirs type "literature" like Full Service, (fascinatingly gross) check out Hellraisers all about RICHARD BURTON, PETER O'TOOLE, RICHARD HARRIS, and CARROLL's favorite nephew.  Wonderful stories!  JACK HAWKINS too...

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

yeah, i read about that movie, it sounds awful!

TCM recently showed another film directed by GEORGE C. SCOTT (about a teen son poisoned by government gas... why do I wanna laugh?)  I watched almost 30 minutes right from the typically beautiful strange long beginget down in da dirt with dyed eyebrows... DYED EYEBROWS???   What?  I mean weird shots of why am I being shown this perplexed and... GEORGE C. SCOTT DYED EYEBROWS???   I gave up.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

TCM recently showed another film directed by GEORGE C. SCOTT (about a teen son poisoned by government gas... why do I wanna laugh?)  I watched almost 30 minutes right from the typically beautiful strange long beginget down in da dirt with dyed eyebrows... DYED EYEBROWS???   What?  I mean weird shots of why am I being shown this perplexed and... GEORGE C. SCOTT DYED EYEBROWS???   I gave up.

Yes, RAGE.

I was curious, but did not bite.