Find results that contain...
Find results in...

BURNT OFFERINGS (1976)

Allhallowsday

1 hour ago, EricJ said:

but dang lights-on CREEPIEST ending for a 70's-supernatural ever

Not even close. 

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47uzymj6cuqsi8q1ddk0 

OOPS!  Not supernatural...  here ya go DEAD OF NIGHT (1972) when Andy and his Mom help to git im where he need be:

deathdream-big.jpg

or (the ambient one who must've been patient zero) takes one of the seven back to his grave for company at the end of this messterpiece:

house-of-seven-corpses.jpg

3 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

the part in the DRIVE IN when he RUNS OVER THE KID is to me, the best part of DEAD OF NIGHT...

AND i think he possibly actually killed the stuntperson...if it was a stuntperson....

I'm big '70s Horror fan, own DEAD OF NIGHT on DVD.  When I first watched that CREEPY movie on "late night" TV outta NYC, it made a strong impression (I was maybe 13 or 14).  I think highly of that one, but have fond memories of other schlock like LET'S SCARE JESSICA TO DEATH or GRAVE OF THE VAMPIRE or DEAD PEOPLE or CHILDREN SHOULDN'T PLAY WITH DEAD THINGS...

• Like 1

Irvington, the Community of Opportunity. I went to a dentist in Irvington. He was almost as scary as anything in Burnt Offerings.

Yesssss, this thing took a long time  to get going. The first hour is mostly Karen Black  doing  housekeeping and Oliver Reed expanding

his  chest. Finally things start to move in the second half.  Poor Bette Davis. Her sick old woman looked  like the woman from Freaks.

Maybe  she needed the money or just liked  to  act. The pale white chauffeur. Dull and  not frightening, at least to me. Seemed  like  an

after thought. I kind  of figured that Karen Black  would  be in that chair in that Psycho imitation shot. Not  much of  a surprise. It had some

creepy moments and, for  the most  part, didn't over do  the blood  and guts. Poor  Olly, being  ejected from the window and  ending up on

the car  windshield. Splat. I think the ending  would  have been a tad better if  we  saw Eileen  Heckart and Burgess Meredith on  the screen

for the last few minutes celebrating their  latest  victims over two glasses  of  sherry. 

• Haha 1

There's a video of Shelley Winters dumping a bucket of water or whatever over Oliver Reed's head on some show (forgot if it was Donahue, Johnny Carson or Dick Cavett). 

I know Oliver had a reputation of being a drinking man. 

Regardless of the onscreen hostility between him, Bette and Karen Black, it's still a frightening film for me.

I remember liking Burnt Offerings, though I don't remember too much about it. Also liked The Sentinel, from more or less the same period. But I think of that sort of first-run glossy horror, my favorite from that period is The Legacy. However, I was really drawn to the less glossy stuff, like Pieces.

the-legacy-1978-dvdrip-x264-zpz-cg-mkv_s

John Standing slips the ring on Katharine Ross' finger in The Legacy (1978)

513AiaxLnTL._AC_.jpg

And of course Margaret Tyzack is always good, particularly when she turns into a white cat.

MV5BMDNhNDlhZjMtZGZlMi00YTcyLTgyZDYtOThi

• Like 1

I like BURNT OFFERINGS.  I recall reading that Dan Curtis cut 15 minutes out from the beginning of the movie prior to release; apparently that footage was Ollie and Karen searching around for just the right house to rent.  Curtis thought it too boring so it was cut to speed up the pacing.  Admittedly, it's a slow-moving movie anyway but think of how slow it would've been with those 15 minutes more of "house hunting" at the beginning.  (Of course, since I like the movie I'd watch the extra 15 minutes if it still existed and was put back into the film!  But it's probably long gone).  

4 hours ago, Mr. Gorman said:

I like BURNT OFFERINGS.  I recall reading that Dan Curtis cut 15 minutes out from the beginning of the movie prior to release; apparently that footage was Ollie and Karen searching around for just the right house to rent.  Curtis thought it too boring so it was cut to speed up the pacing.  Admittedly, it's a slow-moving movie anyway but think of how slow it would've been with those 15 minutes more of "house hunting" at the beginning.  (Of course, since I like the movie I'd watch the extra 15 minutes if it still existed and was put back into the film!  But it's probably long gone).  

WOW. The film was slow even without that. A good move on his part.

20 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

I'm big '70s Horror fan, own DEAD OF NIGHT on DVD.  When I first watched that CREEPY movie on "late night" TV outta NYC, it made a strong impression (I was maybe 13 or 14).  I think highly of that one, but have fond memories of other schlock like LET'S SCARE JESSICA TO DEATH

"Schlock" in describing LSJTD  is putting it mildly.  I renamed it "Let's BORE Movie-Goers To Death".    B)

I also joked, When it came out, that BURNT OFFERINGS might have been a movie about my mother in law's pork chops.  Long believing that not cooking them long enough would give people tapeworm,  she'd fry them suckers until they had the consistency of a dog's rawhide  chew toy.  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Like 1

copied and pasted from wikipedia:

In a Variety piece published on December 11, 1969, it was announced a project named Burnt Offerings would be directed by Bob Fosse (!!!!!) from a screenplay by Robert Marasco; Turman Films and Cinema Center Films would be producers and Lawrence Turman executive producer.[4] Although it never materialized, a novel of the same name by Marasco was published in 1973.[4] The American Film Institute inductively reasoned the book may have been written based on the un-produced screenplay.[4]

Burnt Offerings was directed by Dan Curtis, most known for television horror works such as the series Dark Shadows (1966–1971) and films like The Night Stalker (1972). It was the only theatrical feature he ever directed.[5] When offered to do the project, he found the novel uninteresting, particularly what he called its "nothing" ending, and joked to himself, "I bet some idiot who doesn't know what he's doing will come along and make this."[6]

William F. Nolan removed the first third of the book where the family was in New York City, finding it didn't work, and the chauffeur was conceived by him and unique to the film.[5]

Filming took place in August 1975 at the Dunsmuir House located in Oakland, California.[7]Burnt Offerings was the first movie to be filmed at the Dunsmuir House. According to a commentary with Dan Curtis, William F. Nolan, and Karen Black, Curtis reveals that his rationale for the fog machine was to shoot "motes."[8]

Bette Davis reportedly had conflicts with Karen Black, feeling that Black did not extend to her an appropriate degree of respect and that her behavior on the film set was unprofessional.[9]