Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

BURNT OFFERINGS (1976)

Allhallowsday

36 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

copied and pasted from wikipedia:

In a Variety piece published on December 11, 1969, it was announced a project named Burnt Offerings would be directed by Bob Fosse (!!!!!) from a screenplay by Robert Marasco; Turman Films and Cinema Center Films would be producers and Lawrence Turman executive producer.[4] Although it never materialized, a novel of the same name by Marasco was published in 1973.[4] The American Film Institute inductively reasoned the book may have been written based on the un-produced screenplay.[4]

Burnt Offerings was directed by Dan Curtis, most known for television horror works such as the series Dark Shadows (1966–1971) and films like The Night Stalker (1972). It was the only theatrical feature he ever directed.[5] When offered to do the project, he found the novel uninteresting, particularly what he called its "nothing" ending, and joked to himself, "I bet some idiot who doesn't know what he's doing will come along and make this."[6]

William F. Nolan removed the first third of the book where the family was in New York City, finding it didn't work, and the chauffeur was conceived by him and unique to the film.[5]

Filming took place in August 1975 at the Dunsmuir House located in Oakland, California.[7]Burnt Offerings was the first movie to be filmed at the Dunsmuir House. According to a commentary with Dan Curtis, William F. Nolan, and Karen Black, Curtis reveals that his rationale for the fog machine was to shoot "motes."[8]

Bette Davis reportedly had conflicts with Karen Black, feeling that Black did not extend to her an appropriate degree of respect and that her behavior on the film set was unprofessional.[9]

I remember in a Rex Reed interview at the time (after the film had been made) Bette was dissing both Karen Black and Oliver Reed. If I remember correctly, Karen would go off and change her make up in the middle of shooting a scene, Reed was drunk half the time........

• Thanks 1

On 10/18/2021 at 4:18 PM, LornaHansonForbes said:

I will say so, THAT I FIND OLIVER REED TO BE DEVASTATINGLY SEXY.

My mind might change thirty seconds after meeting him, but

WOOF!

(At ALL stages of his career)

See the source image

Yes, before he went to pot...........

I kinda like BURNT OFFERINGS.  I'd rate it for my viewing enjoyment 2½ stars out of 4 for "Worth Watching". 

For some reason the 1974 plant-based horror opus has crept into my mind:  SEEDS OF EVIL starring Joe Dallesandro, Katharine Houghton and Rita Gam.  BEWARE of the foliage!  You've been ♦warned♦! 

• Like 3

I found the scene where the dad is playing with his son in the pool then starts abusing the son and almost drowning him really disturbing.  The transition from play to violence is so sudden.  Oliver Reed as an actor can really play a character with simmering tension.  His portrayal of Bill Sykes in "Oliver" was dark and really good.

I thought Burnt Offerings was good but not great but I agree with others that it's got one of the most surprising endings.  I didn't see it coming.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Mr. Gorman said:

I kinda like BURNT OFFERINGS.  I'd rate it for my viewing enjoyment 2½ stars out of 4 for "Worth Watching". 

For some reason the 1974 plant-based horror opus has crept into my mind:  SEEDS OF EVIL starring Joe Dallesandro, Katharine Houghton and Rita Gam.  BEWARE of the foliage!  You've been ♦warned♦! 

Personally, MY favorite "plant based" horror is.....

;)  Sepiatone

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Toto said:

I found the scene where the dad is playing with his son in the pool then starts abusing the son and almost drowning him really disturbing.  The transition from play to violence is so sudden.  Oliver Reed as an actor can really play a character with simmering tension.  His portrayal of Bill Sykes in "Oliver" was dark and really good.

I thought Burnt Offerings was good but not great but I agree with others that it's got one of the most surprising endings.  I didn't see it coming.

That kid goes back into the pool ALONE with the previously murderous poppy catatonic immobile on a lawn chair watching and the possessed MOM jumps in the pool to save her son from his 2nd near-drowning in the same pool...  the 2nd time, there was a tsunami in the pool... OLIVER quakes rigidly... catatonically immobilized... uh...

• Like 1

@ALLHALLOWS:  I believe 'Sepiatone' was responding to SEEDS OF EVIL -- whose plot is about plant-based horror. 

(Although I thought BURNT OFFERINGS had a scene or two in a greenhouse; been a while since I've seen it -- I didn't catch it the other night when it aired). 

• Thanks 1

Having just rewatched BURNT OFFERINGS, I ask “Am I the only one who feels as if there needed to be more explanation or backstory or even a hint of motive as to just *why* it is that the house wants to feed off of the people?” 

I mean it’s clear that that’s what’s happening, there’s no ambiguity there, but “why?” is what I find myself asking repeatedly...

• Confused 1

I also have to wonder just what the hell it was that compelled Bette Davis to take this tawdry little supporting role in a haunted house film directed by a soap opera producer, working opposite two actors who by then had a pretty good reputation for being complete and utter maniacs...’?

I mean surely she wasn’t smelling Oscar number three when she read the script...

(In fact, you could easily remove her character from the story and frankly it would help things)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1