Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

BURNT OFFERINGS (1976)

Allhallowsday

On 10/19/2021 at 10:57 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

He was also obnoxious on MARY TYLER MOORE!

"I don't like Wonder Woman, she's too butch,"

Yes, Lee Montgomery (credited as Lee H. Montgomery) played Stevie on an episode from season five of THE MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW called "Anybody Who Hates Kids And Dogs." 

Stevie was the obnoxious son of the man Mary is dating in the  episode.   He's a comic book fan and Mary tries to bond with him by sharing her childhood love of Wonder Woman comics,  demonstrating how Wonder Woman used her bracelets to deflect bullets and describing one of her battles with Egg  Fu. But, alas, Stevie doesn't like Wonder Woman: "She's too butch."

Stevie's grandmother was played Mabel Albertson (who played Darrin's mother on BEWITCHED).  Stevie's aunt was played by singer-songwriter Carole King (credited as Carol Larkey).

MeMDptH.png

7GmFmJS.png

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mr. Gorman said:

I rather like MUTANT.  The eerie feeling of the near-empty town is a lot of fun over the first hour.  Admittedly, the movie gets more conventional as it goes on but I enjoy it to a degree. 

I WAS STUNNED to see that the lady who played the town doctor in MUTANT played opposite GENE HACKMAN in NIGHT MOVES (and she was excellent!)

• Like 1

I think DONALD SUTHERLAND or ALBERT FINNEY would've been better for the part of THE FATHER in BURNT OFFERINGS than OLIVER REED....I love OLIVER REED, but he brings a certain amount of dark and stormy baggage with him to the part...the same could be said four years later with JACK NICHOLSON in THE SHINING- a story and film which are- I am sure- oft compared to BURNT OFFERINGS (more favorably than not)

I haven't read the book OFFERINGS is based on, but I think we needed some back story as to whether and why the father was in his mental state, what he did before, what their life in the city was like. etc.

• Like 1

JENNIFER WARREN gets kiltivated in MUTANT, unfortunately. 

In regards to BURNT OFFERINGS  I've always assumed it was The House that made Ollie go over the edge here 'n' there.  The House was preying upon him!   Just like the Overlook Hotel preyed upon the already-fragile mental state of Jack Nicholson. 

ALSO:  Did you know the UK version of THE SHINING ran approx. 23 minutes less than the U.S. 'cut' of the movie?  Runs 142 minutes here in the U.S., but only 119 minutes in the UK.   I don't know if the UK DVD release is the fuller version, but the UK Warner VHS release only runs 114 minutes 28 seconds (accounting for 4% PAL-format speed-up). 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr. Gorman said:

Yes, thank you, that's her name. She was absolutely terrific in NIGHT MOVES, you'd've thought from her performance and presence that  if she didn't make it in films, she would on TV, but...alas...twas not to be.

• Like 1

SHUCKS!  I forgot to mention something → DAN CURTIS "went to the well" with the ending of BURNT OFFERINGS.  If you've seen the Dan Curtis-directed 1971 horror movie NIGHT OF DARK SHADOWS you'll see Curtis used the same "unwisely going back into the house to check on something" end scene for "Burnt Offerings". 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mr. Gorman said:

In regards to BURNT OFFERINGS  I've always assumed it was The House that made Ollie go over the edge here 'n' there.  The House was preying upon him!   Just like the Overlook Hotel preyed upon the already-fragile mental state of Jack Nicholson. 

and God FORGIVE ME, but I'm that one jackass in the audience who raises my hand and goes "why?"

and not just people in general, but specifically why these people? You** want to spend an eternity with OLIVER REED and KAREN BLACK and BETTE DAVIS right at the a start of THE GARGOYLE stage in her career?

**(I'm asking the House.)

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mr. Gorman said:

SHUCKS!  I forgot to mention something → DAN CURTIS "went to the well" with the ending of BURNT OFFERINGS.  If you've seen the Dan Curtis-directed 1971 horror movie NIGHT OF DARK SHADOWS you'll see Curtis used the same "unwisely going back into the house to check on something" end scene for "Burnt Offerings". 

YES, THE UDNERWHLEMING end of NIGHT OF DARK SHADOWS is one reason I think DAN blew his load on the end of BURNT OFFERINGS.

THE HOUSE isn't picky!  It feeds on your soul!  It makes you think strange thoughts!  It makes you do an occasionally diabolical thing!  (Or something). 

AMITYVILLE 2:  THE POSSESSION is quite similar.  "The House" makes brother lust after sister!  Uh-oh.  Very bad things!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Mr. Gorman said:

THE HOUSE isn't picky!  It feeds on your soul!  It makes you think strange thoughts!  It makes you do an occasionally diabolical thing!  (Or something). 

AMITYVILLE 2:  THE POSSESSION is quite similar.  "The House" makes brother lust after sister!  Uh-oh.  Very bad things!

Maybe with the BALANCE TILTED ON THE SUPREME COURT we can finally get "NOT GUILTY DUE TO MENTAL POSSESSION OR COERCION FROM A DWELLING/BUILDING/ OR EDIFICE" allowed to be used as an acceptable defense for MURDER in all 50 states..

57 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Maybe with the BALANCE TILTED ON THE SUPREME COURT we can finally get "NOT GUILTY DUE TO MENTAL POSSESSION OR COERCION FROM A DWELLING/BUILDING/ OR EDIFICE" allowed to be used as an acceptable defense for MURDER in all 50 states..

Well that would fix the problem in THE HAUNTING...

• Haha 1

On 10/21/2021 at 7:25 PM, LornaHansonForbes said:

I also have to wonder just what the hell it was that compelled Bette Davis to take this tawdry little supporting role in a haunted house film directed by a soap opera producer, working opposite two actors who by then had a pretty good reputation for being complete and utter maniacs...’?

I mean surely she wasn’t smelling Oscar number three when she read the script...

(In fact, you could easily remove her character from the story and frankly it would help things)

As far as I know, Bette loved to work, and never turned down any opportunities to work....

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Yes, thank you, that's her name. She was absolutely terrific in NIGHT MOVES, you'd've thought from her performance and presence that  if she didn't make it in films, she would on TV, but...alas...twas not to be.

70s were not too kind to actresses in general, and many talented women got lost in the shuffle. And though Night Moves was critically lauded, not many tickets were sold....

21 hours ago, HoldenIsHere said:

There is the part where the vine grabs the leg of Oliver Reed's character when he tries to leave the  house with his son.

also, after BETTE DAVIS'S CHARACTER dies, THE CONSERVATORY, once full of LONG DEAD SPECIMENS becomes a GROOVY SPREAD IN BETTER HOMES AND GARDENS REPLETE WITH SPIDER  FERNS AND GIANT POM-POM CHRYSANTHEMUMS AND ORCHIDS.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-lDZyrk_RtvA/UEEPAlHuEeI/AAAAAAAAEEc/hBks03kuBq8/s280/Dan+Curtis+Burnt+Offerings+Karen+Black.JPG

Personally, I would think BETTE'S SPIRIT would make the place erupt in AGGRESSIVE TOBACCO PLANTS, JUNIPERS (the berries are where you get GIN) AND POISON IVY, and I say that with love...

EDIT, OR THIS:

See the source image "Oh reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaalllllly!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1