Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

You know(I hope) that an "earworm" refers to a song or piece of music that gets stuck in your head.  You hear it in your head for most to all of the day or maybe more than just one day.  

For me, I've been hearing the main title song to the movie TOP BANANA ('54) all day so far.  Can't figure it out as it's been at least 20 or more years since I've seen the movie.  So.....

This ever happen to anyone else? and if so, what was the movie?

Sepiatone

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
59 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

For me, I've been hearing the main title song to the movie TOP BANANA ('54) all day so far.  Can't figure it out as it's been at least 20 or more years since I've seen the movie.  So.....

Oh, what a great song to have stuck in your head! I love the Top Banana soundtrack!

As a slightly related one, I usually get this song stuck in my head from another Phil Silvers musical.

Oh Lord!  One of the worst and most nonsensical movies ever made, Billy Jack, has an even worse, more ridiculous , pretentious hippie piece of crap song that just the mere mention of its title will cause it to play in my head unendingly for days at a time!

I hope Tom Laughlin had really bad muscle cramps for subjecting the world to that.

• Like 4

La Nuit de Varennes (1983) has a great original score. There is a march that more or less represents Royalty. It begins in the credits and reprises throughout. I think it started as an earworm but I liked it so much that it has now transmogrified to my own inner Hit Parade. I can actually hum it out loud and with great accuracy. Not that I am into Royalty, I am a mere peasant. But peasants don't have marches composed for them, so I thought I would steal one from the King. One of my very faves this movie is ... top five, to be sure. Inexplicably, it is still not out on disc at last check. But it is miraculously to be found on The Criterion Channel. I sometimes think to cancel my subscription because I don't use it that much, but I can't bare to lose access to this fabulous movie. 

Okay, get any ONE of the song's two or three separate signature riffs out of your head for the rest of the day.  If "Bill Murray comedy" could be a piece of music, this historically encapsulated it:

One of the great pioneering efforts that led the way to end the stigma for more 80's soundtrack movie-pop at the Best Song Oscars.  

(And no, that new movie still looks like a bit of panicky Millennial stuffed-taxidermy of our generation's gold...Still haven't figured out why 80's Movies Were Better, have you, Ivan's Kid?)

• Like 2

Citizen Ed, I have actually been sitting in a room of people when I realized that something unexpected needed to happen to jolt them out of their stupors.  It just so happened that "One Tin Soldier" was on my mind at that particular moment.  So, in my completely off-key singing voice, I made it clear to everyone that I was not going to be the only one with that Tin Soldier as an ear worm that day.  And it worked!  Cracked everybody up, and no follow-throughs on threats to beat me up.  (I'm so glad you weren't there to hear it, though.)

I love this topic, Sepiatone, as I have numerous tunes going through my brain all the time.  Sometimes it's "The Night they Invented Champagne,"  and sometimes it's "The Continental" (because it rhymes plague with The Hague).   etc., etc., etc.

• Haha 2

Sometimes i'll have entire soundtracks in head at any given time.

I've also been known to get that catchy nurse whistle tune from Kill Bill (2,?) in my head. Along with Girl From Ipinema (sp) (elevator music playing in the entertaining monster flick Deep Rising.)

• Like 1
2 hours ago, EricJ said:

Okay, get any ONE of the song's two or three separate signature riffs out of your head for the rest of the day.  If "Bill Murray comedy" could be a piece of music, this historically encapsulated it:

One of the great pioneering efforts that led the way to end the stigma for more 80's soundtrack movie-pop at the Best Song Oscars.  

(And no, that new movie still looks like a bit of panicky Millennial stuffed-taxidermy of our generation's gold...Still haven't figured out why 80's Movies Were Better, have you, Ivan's Kid?)

I listened to that tune all the time on the radio as a kid when it came on and watched the music video on MTV more times than I can count. Must have gone to see the film quite a few times. 

I was definitely caught up in the GHOSTBUSTERS mania of 1984.

Haven't seen the remake and have no intention of doing so.

• Like 1

I feel like I've had the overture to WEST SIDE STORY stuck in my brain forever, and just when I might be ready to move on, it airs on TCM!

• Like 1

There's so many songs -- vocal and instrumental -- from various movies I've seen over the years that stick in my head I find it difficult to keep track of them all.  But here's a few of them (even though I don't know the name of them all):

Instrumental theme by Marvin Hamlisch from SEEMS LIKE OLD TIMES (1980).  Since the theme has been conveniently uploaded to YouTube I can go there and satiate my craving whenever I want to. 

There's a piece of music from the 1982 movie O'HARA's WIFE that's instrumental.  And it creeps up in my head.

There's a couple of goofy disco songs I can always recall:  The song that plays in "Blue Sunshine" when Ray Young trashes the discotheque at the end of the movie.  You cannot miss this song when you watch the movie because it's heard for several minutes.  It's not just a 'snippet' of music; it plays un-interrupted for a while.  Then there's another goofy disco song that plays in the 1978 horror movie MARDI GRAS MASSACRE when a stripper chick is dancing on the stage.  Whatever the title is the song was courtesy of 'Westbound Records' cos this record company gets a mention on the end credits.  

I love the sinister opening theme to THE BEAST WITHIN (1982) from Les Baxter.  The music sets the tone.  

Great Topic!

Cat Stevens singing If You Want to Sing Out, Sing Out which, fortunately is a happy kind of song but it's been about three weeks since the trailer for HAROLD AND MAUDE aired and it's now rolling around my brain!

Luckily, or not, it joined, Bobby Short singing Cole Porter's, I Happen To Like New York. That song plays under the credits for Manhattan Murder Mystery. I don't how long ago TCM aired it but Bobby Short's voice has taken over my life ever since!

• Like 2
5 hours ago, brianNH said:

Sometimes it's "The Night they Invented Champagne,"

You get the heebie-jeebies thinking of Ben-Hur panned and scanned too, don't you? ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
4 hours ago, Aritosthenes said:

Along with Girl From Ipinema (sp) (elevator music playing in the entertaining monster flick Deep Rising.)

You should see Get Yourself a College Girl, in which Astrud sings it in English.

4 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Haven't seen the remake and have no intention of doing so.

How about the sequel, due out any time now? Bill Murray's voiceover appears in the second trailer, indicating at least he will be a part of it.

1 minute ago, sewhite2000 said:

How about the sequel, due out any time now? Bill Murray's voiceover appears in the second trailer, indicating at least he will be a part of it.

If Bill's in there, I definitely have to check it out.

• Like 1