Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2022 TCM Cruise-First Time

My wife and I are going on the TCM Cruise in November 2022.  This will be our first TCM Cruise!  Anyone else on these forums attending?

What can we expect?  Do they announce the movie lineup on the website prior to the cruise?  What about the hosts/special guests?  I also read an article about some folks put up white boards on their room doors with their favorite actors/movies/directors, etc.  

Anyway, even though it's over a year away, we are very excited! Just hope Covid is an afterthought by then.

• 4 weeks later...

I will be with you in spirit. It would be a dream  come true for me but alas is not in the cards. As the years wind on, the list of truly "special" special guests does indeed dwindle. Wonder who will be going from the stars still shining?

Have a wonderful time and ( between the fun and festivities) please take copious colorful notes to share with us :) 

On 11/10/2021 at 6:32 PM, cineman said:

I will be with you in spirit. It would be a dream  come true for me but alas is not in the cards. As the years wind on, the list of truly "special" special guests does indeed dwindle. Wonder who will be going from the stars still shining?

Have a wonderful time and ( between the fun and festivities) please take copious colorful notes to share with us :) 

We will indeed take many photos and I will be sure to post them.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Yes, my wife and I will be there, our 8th TCM Classic Cruise. Happy to answer any questions from people wondering about what to expect.

By now you’ve seen the guest list, but there will be more. In fact, you won’t know 100% of the guests until they announce them on the top deck on sailaway day!

Guests do fill out their magnetic whiteboards and stick them on their cabin doors. We still have ours from past sailings.

Yes, before you leave on the trip, you will get a full itinerary of each day’s events. You will see they accommodate early and late diners by repeating interviews and movies. But you’ll soon have some very hard choices, and realize you won’t be able to do it all.

You will see, and run into the TCM hosts, and they (when not rushing to introduce a movie) are very approachable. You will run into the stars, but no autograph or picture requests, please. But my wife ran into Cicely Tyson walking down a deck, said a brief hello, and Cicely grabbed my wife’s hand and started chatting with her. If you let them take the lead, you might get a nice conversation.

Once on Castaway Cay we were having the buffet BBQ lunch at Cookies II (you’ll see), when I saw a pair of legs standing right next to me getting a napkin from the dispenser. I looked up and it was Richard Dreyfus. I said nothing, and he wasn’t looking at me, but that’s how the cruises are. You just run into them.

You may think you know which star you look forward the most, but don’t be surprised if one of the “lesser” guests become your favorite memories. Mine is meeting Rick Baker and his wife after his interview. The four of us just started chatting, and we did so for 30 minutes because he never seemed to want to end the talking, and his wife enjoyed that I knew her makeup artist husband, and we were just having a pleasant conversation.

The other thing you will enjoy is being surrounded with thousands of people who love movies just as passionately as you. You will be able to start a conversation with anyone since you have that in common.

THAT’S the TCM Cruise experience.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2022 at 4:18 PM, Nicolas said:

Yes, my wife and I will be there, our 7th TCM Classic Cruise. Happy to answer any questions from people wondering about what to expect.

By now you’ve seen the guest list, but there will be more. In fact, you won’t know 100% of the guests until they announce them on the top deck on sailaway day!

Guests do fill out their magnetic whiteboards and stick them on their cabin doors. We still have ours from past sailings.

Yes, before you leave on the trip, you will get a full itinerary of each day’s events. You will see they accommodate early and late diners by repeating interviews and movies. But you’ll soon have some very hard choices, and realize you won’t be able to do it all.

You will see, and run into the TCM hosts, and they (when not rushing to introduce a movie) are very approachable. You will run into the stars, but no autograph or picture requests, please. But my wife ran into Cicely Tyson walking down a deck, said a brief hello, and Cicely grabbed my wife’s hand and started chatting with her. If you let them take the lead, you might get a nice conversation.

Once on Castaway Cay we were having the buffet BBQ lunch at Cookies II (you’ll see), when I saw a pair of legs standing right next to me getting a napkin from the dispenser. I looked up and it was Richard Dreyfus. I said nothing, and he wasn’t looking at me, but that’s how the cruises are. You just run into them.

You may think you know which star you look forward the most, but don’t be surprised if one of the “lesser” guests become your favorite memories. Mine is meeting Rick Baker and his wife after his interview. The four of us just started chatting, and we did so for 30 minutes because he never seemed to want to end the talking, and his wife enjoyed that I knew her makeup artist husband, and we were just having a pleasant conversation.

The other thing you will enjoy is being surrounded with thousands of people who love movies just as passionately as you. You will be able to start a conversation with anyone since you have that in common.

THAT’S the TCM Cruise experience.

Looking forward to it and your write-up makes me even more excited to attend.

How far in advance do they typically provide the full itinerary, as well as the movie schedule?  Also, what hours are they typically showing films?  I assume it's not 24 hours every day, but perhaps a set schedule such as 10AM-12AM.

26 minutes ago, CineClassics said:

Looking forward to it and your write-up makes me even more excited to attend.

How far in advance do they typically provide the full itinerary, as well as the movie schedule?  Also, what hours are they typically showing films?  I assume it's not 24 hours every day, but perhaps a set schedule such as 10AM-12AM.

If I recall, it’s about a month (or maybe less) when we get a pdf with the schedule, the same one you get in paper form when you board. It’s not far ahead, but you’ll definitely have a week or two to start planning.

The first showing of the day, typically in the main theater, starts around 9am or 9:30am. The last showing is 10pm or 11pm, though there have been midnight showings. Saw Creature From the Black Lagoon in 3D at a midnight showing, and that’s the way to see it. But mostly it’s mid-morning till 11pm at night. When the ship is in port, no movies are showing — the ports want you to go ashore, so there are minimal activities on board. You won’t miss much if you go ashore.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CineClassics said:

What's the general dress attire like for most on the cruise? Are people getting dressed up in suits or are they going fairly causal? 

More casual than other cruises. If you dine in the dining rooms (not required), people there tend to dress nice, but not fancy. I bring a pair or two of dress paints and one pair of dark dress shoes. The I wear dress shirts, but no tie or jacket. I fit in fine. Others wear jackets, and some with jackets and ties, a few suits. But then you see khakis and jeans as well. My style is a nice middle ground. So if you want to dress up, go for it — you won’t be the only ones. If you want to dress down, go for it — you won’t be the only ones. 

Now if you eat in the buffet area for dinner (which we sometimes do if we want to eat in 20-30 minutes instead of 60-75 in the dining room (movies to catch!), that’s more casual, but again, some put on dress pants and shoes there too. 

My point is there is no strict standard, and you will hardly feel out of place no matter what you do. This is not a typical cruise with formal nights. It’s a movie cruise.

Tip: Despite being in the warm Caribbean, if you spend most of your day in an air-conditioned theater, you will feel a bit chilly at times. I bring a thin hoodie (and my wife brings a thin sweater) which is used while watching the films. So in the evenings, I’m glad for a long-sleeved dress shirt.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nicolas said:

More casual than other cruises. If you dine in the dining rooms (not required), people there tend to dress nice, but not fancy. I bring a pair or two of dress paints and one pair of dark dress shoes. The I wear dress shirts, but no tie or jacket. I fit in fine. Others wear jackets, and some with jackets and ties, a few suits. But then you see khakis and jeans as well. My style is a nice middle ground. So if you want to dress up, go for it — you won’t be the only ones. If you want to dress down, go for it — you won’t be the only ones. 

Now if you eat in the buffet area for dinner (which we sometimes do if we want to eat in 20-30 minutes instead of 60-75 in the dining room (movies to catch!), that’s more casual, but again, some put on dress pants and shoes there too. 

My point is there is no strict standard, and you will hardly feel out of place no matter what you do. This is not a typical cruise with formal nights. It’s a movie cruise.

Tip: Despite being in the warm Caribbean, if you spend most of your day in an air-conditioned theater, you will feel a bit chilly at times. I bring a thin hoodie (and my wife brings a thin sweater) which is used while watching the films. So in the evenings, I’m glad for a long-sleeved dress shirt.

You eluded to the weather, and mentioned it being warm in the Caribbean, do you have a sense of what the temperature typically is this time of year?  The wife is curious about what type of clothes to pack.

12 minutes ago, CineClassics said:

You eluded to the weather, and mentioned it being warm in the Caribbean, do you have a sense of what the temperature typically is this time of year?  The wife is curious about what type of clothes to pack.

It’s tropical. 80s and sunny and humid. Even in the Fall. Maybe 70s on a cool day.

So it’s shorts and T-shirts when going ashore or walking around the pool deck and getting a burger or pizza and watching the movie playing on the big outdoor screen above the pool.

Then jeans and whatever you feel warm enough for an air-conditioned movie theater. Even at night you will get the tropical breezes. Think Florida but more consistently warmer since it’s further toward the equator.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Nicolas said:

Woo hoo! Chevy Chase, Sean Young, Wyatt and Mark McCray added to the guest list.

Do you think we can glean anything from these announced guests and the line-up of films?  Most of these guests (outside of Margaret O'Brien) didn't technically begin their careers until after the Golden Age, so I wonder if they'll show any of their films.  I could see Jaws being shown with Richard Dreyfuss in the house.  And perhaps a few Joel McCrea films being shown with his grandson in attendance.  

There's also the possibility that the film lineup will have little to no impact on the guests who have been announced.  Not sure since this will be my first TCM Cruise but thought with your veteran TCM Cruise status you may have a thought on if there has been a correlation between guests and the movie lineup.

Just now, CineClassics said:

Do you think we can glean anything from these announced guests and the line-up of films?  Most of these guests (outside of Margaret O'Brien) didn't technically begin their careers until after the Golden Age, so I wonder if they'll show any of their films.  I could see Jaws being shown with Richard Dreyfuss in the house.  And perhaps a few Joel McCrea films being shown with his grandson in attendance.  

There's also the possibility that the film lineup will have little to no impact on the guests who have been announced.  Not sure since this will be my first TCM Cruise but thought with your veteran TCM Cruise status you may have a thought on if there has been a correlation between guests and the movie lineup.

They always showcase a guest’s films. So yes, we will see Joel McCrea films. And Margaret O’Brien films, and the last time Dreyfus was on, yes, they showed Jaws.

With Sean Young they will undoubtedly show Blade Runner. With Chevy Chase I’m going to guess they go with his early comedies from the 80s. I’ll go with Seems Like Old Times and Foul Play.

They are clearly trying to widen the fan base. Films from the 70s and 80s are now 40-50 years old, so they count as classics too.

We have had the children and grandchildren of stars before, Cary Grant, Fred MacMurray, Errol Flynn, they’ve been on and talked about their relatives and told great stories. On the first cruise I introduced myself to Suzanne Lloyd and told her how meaningful her grandfather Harold’s films were to me as a boy.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

OK, just got a TCM Cruise email that reminds us, in part:

Please keep an eye out for additional information via email in the coming weeks, including your reservation number, programming announcements, dining options, port adventures and more!

So we will soon get those schedules.