Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Being the Ricardos trailer

txfilmfan

Quite a time for Ball fans.  She's star of the month on TCM, the focus of their podcast, it's the 70th anniversary of the first episode of her first TV sitcom (premiered 15 Oct 1951), and Amazon Prime just released a trailer (they call it a teaser) for the film Being the Ricardos.  Still unsure if Kidman and/or Bardem can pull off playing these two...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

As soon as I saw the trailer, I headed over here to see what you guys were saying.

My initial reaction to the trailer--  it's wrongheaded.    Voices are so important.  Nicole Kidman doesn't capture the voice, the inflections, nor, evidently, did she even try to capture Lucy's distinctive accent.    I concede many people wouldn't think this important.  I do. 

The writing did not reassure me.  Her little narration in the trailer had more the flavor of a 21st century up-and-comer-- the verging on "snippy" assertion of being "the biggest asset, in in the portfolio...."       

I'm a sucker for art direction, so I liked the midcentury costumes and interiors.

Frances Fisher, in a past production, was more convincing a "Lucy" to me.

A skinny "Fred Mertz"?

In my opinion, the wrong sensibility took on this project, IF the trailer is a reliable indication.

• Like 2

I'm less than enthused after watching this trailer, which keeps Kidman's face almost completely offscreen (I think she was in one long shot) for its entire length. There was one black and white shot of actual Lucy, I think. I just don't know if even a great actress like her can pull off a strong enough impersonation of so iconic a figure as to help me suspend my disbelief. I am intrigued by the storyline, which I assume parallels a lot of the information being presented in the current TCM podcast (drawing a blank on the name of the podcast). 

1 hour ago, lilypond said:

The writing did not reassure me.  Her little narration in the trailer had more the flavor of a 21st century up-and-comer-- the verging on "snippy" assertion of being "the biggest asset, in in the portfolio...."       

I'm a sucker for art direction, so I liked the midcentury costumes and interiors.

I don't think either Arnaz or Ball were so sure of their success when they started on that venture.  She wanted to do it to be able to spend more time with her husband and not build a media empire.   Ironically, the success of the show and then Desilu probably drove them further apart than they had been before.  Instead of spending time on the road with his band, he spent his time in the executive offices of Desilu (and the extracurricular activities didn't help either).  So I doubt she ever talked about being the "biggest asset", at least certainly not when they first started out.

Agree that they seemed to have captured the era with the sets, though I think the actual ILL set was in a slightly different color (from the few color photos and film I've seen of it).  It's hard to tell in the trailer.

At any rate, I'm not an Amazon prime member so I likely won't see the film when it's released.

I didn't go to this thread  at first because I felt it was silly to create on just for this one film.       I only went to it now because of who created it;   I.e.  this guy is solid and I just had to find out why he would focus on this one film!    I see now that my assumption was all wet. 

Amazon.com: The Long, Long Trailer (1954) : Vincente Minnelli, Lucille  Ball, Desi Arnaz, Marjorie Main, Keenan Wynn, Gladys Hurlbut, Moroni Olsen,  Bert Freed, Madge Blake, Walter Baldwin, Oliver Blake, Perry Sheehan: Movies

2 hours ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

I didn't go to this thread  at first because I felt it was silly to create on just for this one film.       I only went to it now because of who created it;   I.e.  this guy is solid and I just had to find out why he would focus on this one film!    I see now that my assumption was all wet. 

Amazon.com: The Long, Long Trailer (1954) : Vincente Minnelli, Lucille  Ball, Desi Arnaz, Marjorie Main, Keenan Wynn, Gladys Hurlbut, Moroni Olsen,  Bert Freed, Madge Blake, Walter Baldwin, Oliver Blake, Perry Sheehan: Movies

Thanks for the input.  I posted it primarily because Lucille Ball is somewhat of a focus right now on TCM, and there is some general interest in this biopic.

I'll try to live up to your expectations in the future.

Oh brother,  can't we all just get along?

As a big Lucy fan I've seen the "home movies" of Lucy & Desi sanctioned by Lucie Luckenbill and the biopic of Lucy & Desi which I think was a Canadian production, both were surprisingly good. The actress who played Lucy did a fabulous job, but the guy playing Desi just came across as a caricature. I see no reason to beat a dead horse by making another biopic. 

I've also been enjoying TCM's podcast about Lucy's story, as well as LUCY TALKS, the interviews. It's fun to hear Lucy just as herself, bringing more insight to her personal charactor in a more unique way than any biography/biopic.

I'll catch this when it comes to my library. Just the fact it's an Amazon production is a turn-off for me personally, I don't patronize that company.

12 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

Thanks for the input.  I posted it primarily because Lucille Ball is somewhat of a focus right now on TCM, and there is some general interest in this biopic.

I'll try to live up to your expectations in the future.

Oh,  I understand now why you posted this.   What I didn't know at the time was that Being the Ricardos was a new production and the "trailer" was for that and  not about the Ricardos film that features a trailer of a different kind (a film that is mentioned a lot when Ball is a topic).

As for my expectations in the future:   I'm more concerned about mine (e.g. not making bogus assumptions), then yours.

As for this new production:  Like Dan says,  this could be interesting.    As far as casting;  well for these type of bio-films,   no casting is "right".    My take is that one either has to suspend reality and just accept the actors as the person they are playing or not watch it if that is too difficult (which it can be based on how much someone is really into those actual people).

6 minutes ago, TomJH said:

I don't know about this new film. But Javier Bardem as Desi Arnaz? Yikes!

What I do know is that the real Desi was surprisingly funny in another trailer, the one with The Long Long . . . in the title.

Agreed! Hilarious film....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

Oh,  I understand now why you posted this.   What I didn't know at the time was that Being the Ricardos was a new production and the "trailer" was for that and  not about the Ricardos film that features a trailer of a different kind (a film that is mentioned a lot when Ball is a topic).

As for my expectations in the future:   I'm more concerned about mine (e.g. not making bogus assumptions), then yours.

As for this new production:  Like Dan says,  this could be interesting.    As far as casting;  well for these type of bio-films,   no casting is "right".    My take is that one either has to suspend reality and just accept the actors as the person they are playing or not watch it if that is too difficult (which it can be based on how much someone is really into those actual people).

And owing to the late hour last night when I read your post, it never occurred to me that you might have thought the trailer referenced in the thread title was a travel trailer, even after seeing The Long, Long Trailer cover in your post.  Even revisiting it this morning, it didn't click until you made this post.

I think my brain needs a tune-up...

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings