Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

YouTube is TV.

slaytonf

And Google is evil.  No, the commercials attached to virtually every video (at least the ones I watch) aren't as long as on regular commercial television.  But their growing length and ubiquity are on an intersecting course.  Google has taken inspiration from the frog in the pot of boiling water myth and followed a path of the gradual increasing imposition of commercial messages in videos, from silent boxes at the bottoms of screens that could be x-ed out, to multiple ads at the beginning.  And interrupting ads breaking into longer ones.  Like a skilled drug dealer, Google has insidiously increased the tolerance of the YT audience for ads, and no doubt intends to continue the policy.  Not being of an addictive nature, I am reaching the limits of my tolerance.  Although I turn the sound off and ignore the screen during the offending ad time, there is only so much I will put up with to watch something.  There are already videos I would have turned away from during the introductory ads, but of course, Google doesn't let you do that.

This all started with the pandemic, and Google's goal is to drive you to their ad free pay service. Since most of what I watch on youtube are older films, I don't get as many ads as some channels. And I'm sorry, I have a limit to the subscriptions I'm willing to pay for and Google is past that limit. I pay for the digital Washington Post and Wall Street Journal, but when the local Fredericksburg paper wants to be paid for stuff you can pick up off of Reuters combined with the local weather, they are not getting my money. 

• Thanks 1

Unlike a generation that wants to believe the Internet and streaming finally "fixed" or "punished" their parents' TV of variety shows and sitcoms, I don't find Free-With-Ads as some sort of demonic Betrayal of the Revolution or Tarnishing of the Golden Age 🙄 --Growing up, ads were, after all, literally the reason TV shows EXISTED since the days of radio, and in the words of Elwood Blues, whadda want fo' nuthin'?? 

Although, unlike today, Consumerism was the engine of our TV-united society in the 70's/80's, and actually showed and demonstrated the product of their sponsors, which inspired a few more impulse purchases at the store than our current need to attach hip Random Internet Memes to the barest last-second mention of a consumer product--Produced today by fresh-out-of-college Millennial ad-execs who also grew up believing that TV ads were a spawn of Satan, and that people who bought things at retail were losers, but were willing to snark their principles aside for that cool executive promotion.

That said, there are a lot better FWA channels than running to YouTube every time some other service "betrays" you, and (with the exception of PlutoTV) with a lot fewer commercials for your program than YouTube.  Might want to try a taste of Tubi, as we've been talking about on the IJW threads, at least they've got Columbo and Carol Burnett for the moment.

A huge amount of content--movies, music, audiobooks, TV shows-- on Youtube is illegally posted and Youtube profits from it. This is one reason why some groups want to eliminate the Safe Harbor clause section 230 of the  DMCA that tube  sites use as a shield against legal action. 

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings