Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

In Honor of Halloween - Movies that Scared You but Weren't Classified as "horror"

chaya bat woof woof

Were there any movies that scared you (when you were younger or now) that would not be considered horror?

For example, Deliverance, The Lost Weekend (Ray Milland with the DTs) and Suddenly Last Summer (implied cannibalism or tearing someone literally apart) did it for me.

Hope I get at least once response (as my last one about the new Tiffany's ads with Beyonce and Jay Z didn't get any).  Personally, find the second ad worse than the first.

• Like 1

Okay, I'll have a go at this.  The film I'm thinking of didn't play in any theaters, but I'm pretty sure  it got very wide distribution.   Back in freshman year (1971) our health ed class -- called "Teen Life"-- saw a movie late in the school year that scared the socks off everyone in the room.  It was supposed to.  And it did the trick very neatly, at least until junior year.

Now I'll try to think of another movie -- a real movie -- and visit you all later. 

• Haha 2

Jeepers, CHAYA, I can think of a bundle of movies classified as 'Horror' or 'Suspense/Horror' that didn't scare me in any way . . . but trying to come up with a 'Non-Horror' movie that did scare me in one way or another is tough sledding!  

THE DAY AFTER (1983). With the real threats from the Cold War hitting headlines daily, this movie struck too close to home for many people, and at the time received a large viewing audience. When the behemoth ICBMs launch from their silos and heave slowly into the air towards their targets halfway across a world, it's a dreadful and vivid picture of Armageddon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Interesting.  Not "horror" but scary?

Well, off the top, I can only come up with a  Suspense/thriller  DADDY'S GONE A-HUNTING('69) with Carol White and Paul Burke.  Had me white knuckled on the edge of my car seat(saw it at a drive-in).     I might come up with a few more later.  Interesting thread CHAYA.  :) 

Sepiatone

• Like 2

7 hours ago, mrzek said:

THE DAY AFTER (1983). With the real threats from the Cold War hitting headlines daily, this movie struck too close to home for many people, and at the time received a large viewing audience. When the behemoth ICBMs launch from their silos and heave slowly into the air towards their targets halfway across a world, it's a dreadful and vivid picture of Armageddon.

I remember watching that made-for-tv film and thought it was highly overrated. For whatever reason, it had little effect on me. But the next day, one of my students asked me if she could be excused from an exam because she has found the film too upsetting.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Polly of the Precodes said:

Behind the Door (1919) is officially a war film. But wartime atrocities may be the ultimate horror.

Not sure I would consider it a war film; more like a revenge film set during wartime. But no matter how you characterize it, what Hobart Bosworth does to Wallace Beery is pretty raw!

• Like 2

I hardly watch any horror movies anyway, so my version of a scary movie is probably very tame.  I loathe anything that smacks of the occult. 

I'll say,  "Where Eagles Dare".    You, the audience, and Richard Burton don't know who the killer-traitor is on his small, hand-picked elite team.   That person could strike again at any time.   The high alpine snow storms and the smoky, rollicking, but sinister German tavern setting just amp up the anxiety....  

Then there's that long, frightening sequence precariously perched on top of the ski lift, out of the castle....    These are the kind of chills I like...

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jackiecat said:

The Wizard Of Oz...Margaret Hamilton scared the pants off me ..

Me too!  I was really scared as a kid of Margaret Hamilton as the Wicked Witch - particularly the scene where Dorothy is locked in the room in the witches castle watching the hourglass and Auntie Em's face turns into the face of the Wicked Witch.  Thank goodness Toto came through to help save Dorothy!

The Wizard of Oz (1939) | The Film Spectrum

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Toto said:

I was really scared as a kid of Margaret Hamilton as the Wicked Witch

I hear many, many, MANY (way too many) people say how creeped out they were by the flying monkeys. So, I think that element of the film made it successfully scary for a large number of people.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Mr. Gorman said:

Jeepers, CHAYA, I can think of a bundle of movies classified as 'Horror' or 'Suspense/Horror' that didn't scare me in any way . . . but trying to come up with a 'Non-Horror' movie that did scare me in one way or another is tough sledding!  

None of these are "Horror" but HORRIFYING. 

GERMANIA ANNO ZERO (1948)  

TWO WOMEN (1960)  

I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE (1978)

• Like 3

Interesting thread idea! It took me awhile to recall one...

Any late MGM Tom & Gerry cartoon directed by Gene Dietch who sadly just passed away in 2020. His cartoons have erratic movement without much flow or logic and are disturbing to me at least. The weird music with  echo-y sound effects is downright eerie. I think he also made some Pink Panthers, but not sure.

An excerpt from the scariest one of all, Dickey Moe:

I actually appreciate Dietch's pioneering spirit, maybe not his sensibility as much.

• Like 3

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings