Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

In Honor of Halloween - Movies that Scared You but Weren't Classified as "horror"

I remember not wanting to see The Godfather because of the scene with John Marley and the horse's head.

Several noir films can cause nightmares (like The Boston Strangler or the one about the lipstick killer (Barrymore's son played the killer)

The Bone Collector is quite scary.

As for TV, To Serve Man (it is a cookbook!) scares me

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, LonesomePolecat said:

Terrifying nightmare sequence in THE BRAVE LITTLE TOASTER

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR7kDk47UX9tzWOUKMI1ba

Oh, I nearly forgot about that movie! ALL of the that film was scary to me, honestly. It was so dark, scary and depressing. I wonder who thought that would be a good children's film? I have not seen it in years, but these two scenes linger in the depths of my memories:

tumblr_mb1fleNCLe1r9vi6po6_r1_250.gifv

a7e.gif

• Like 2

One_false_move.JPG

I remember this Billy Bob Thornton film as being extremely scary, especially for any of the people this trio of killers ran into.                                                                            Will be shown on TCM 11/14/21 at 1:00am Pacific.

• Thanks 1
On 10/21/2021 at 6:14 AM, mrzek said:

THE DAY AFTER (1983). With the real threats from the Cold War hitting headlines daily, this movie struck too close to home for many people, and at the time received a large viewing audience. When the behemoth ICBMs launch from their silos and heave slowly into the air towards their targets halfway across a world, it's a dreadful and vivid picture of Armageddon.

Very much so, still does. I would add Testament, a PBS movie that had a fluke wide-release, and garnered Jane Alexander an underdog Oscar nomination. It's not as graphic or harrowing as The Day After but in some ways is even more uncompromising in its bleak vision.

The Day of the Locust (1975). I don't know what about it my parents thought was appropriate for a child. To a child who didn't fully understand the themes, it seemed like a relatively straightforward Hollywood period drama until that ending (Jesus!). I laid awake for days sort of crying dry tears, and couldn't concentrate at school because I kept replaying it in my mind over and over again. I still can't listen to "Jeepers Creepers" without getting goosebumps.

Three that didn't exactly scare me, but have a genuine sense of creeping menace and could easily be remade as horror films are Black Narcissus (1947), Satyajit Ray's Devi (1960), and Picnic At Hanging Rock (1975). The latter actually did scare me a little, and haunted me for days. Like many I also believed erroneously that it was based on a true story, and in that respect it sort of foreshadowed The Blair Witch Project.

• Like 1

As SIMON is classified as a comedy, I wonder about what caused your "unease".

And for some reason, despite the title of the thread, some insist on posting the names of movies that were INTENDED to be scary.   

How about listing movies classified as "horror" but made you laugh more than ever frightening you?  You know.....

THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE( '74) ?

So dumb I couldn't help but laugh.  But I stopped laughing when the theater manager refused my request for a refund.

Sepiatone

On 11/2/2021 at 9:53 AM, Sepiatone said:

A combination of things, probably. I find there are a lot of things that bring me a sense of dread and unease and it is difficult to know why.  The film was very dark and depressing, both in color and in tone, I thought. For some reason, 1980s architecture -- especially commercial and industrial -- creeps me out. The science facility that was the setting was just very imposing and unpleasant.

At the time I saw the film, I was struggling with anxiety, too, and I think the concept of the sensory deprivation tank and the anxiety that was described as a side effect of being in it triggered me a bit. So I think the film may have just hit an already sore spot for me. Interestingly, I watched The Other Side of Hell (1978) around that same time and had no problem watching it. Go figure. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
On 11/2/2021 at 12:53 PM, Sepiatone said:

It's weird, for one thing, and also comically deals with a sinister think-tank that's gotten a little too much funding to go with its too much free time.  ("He organized the Nixon Switch--The one we sent to China is not the one we got BACK.")

• Like 1