Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Alec Baldwin. **Updated, Even More to Include Surprising Affirmative Action; from VERY Unexpected Show.

Aritosthenes

IMMEDEATE Thoughts and Prayers For Those Involved. 

https://news.yahoo.com/one-dead-another-injured-prop-023000274.html

(Sorry, but 🙏🧸.

https://people.com/movies/alec-baldwin-speaks-out-after-accidental-shooting/

http://www.halynahutchinsdp.com/

BEAUTIFUL. Gorgeous,. ...I Dont Care if Dune, Gone With the Wind, the Godfather, or Sunset Boulevard is releasing this year; May Madam Hutchins Get A Post-Humous Oscar. 🙏🧸🎨🖼🕊🎨🖼.

https://uproxx.com/tv/alec-baldwin-shooting-the-boys-eric-kripke/

1 hour ago, hamradio said:

Thought a prop gun only fired blanks? :huh:

Talk about a freak accident.

The blank cartridges look very different, but one would need to actually see it and know what they are looking at, to know.

It is also possible for blank cartridges to kill at close range, due to high velocity gasses.  You just don't do this.

P.S. Not a freak accident, but a lack of due diligence by those involved.

• Like 1

Blanks can be incredibly dangerous if used improperly / at close range. It's just speculation at this point, but I do wonder whether this production was using a mostly local, New Mexico crew, because it seems highly unlikely to me that something so horrible would have happened if IATSE workers from Hollywood had been on set.

• Thanks 1

Remember what happened to JON-ERIK HEXUM back in late 1984.  He put a gun loaded with 'blanks' to his head and pulled the trigger.  It killed him at age 26.  I remember when that happened.  He was starring with Jennifer O'Neill in a series called COVER UP. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, hamradio said:

Thought a prop gun only fired blanks? :huh:

Talk about a freak accident.

Blanks come in a range of styles. If all you want is noise and a wisp of smoke, the blank is simply crimped and a drop of wax on the end prevents the powder falling out. If you want sparks/flame, a plug of phosphorus is used. If you want a natural recoil, a plug of wood, cardboard, wax, or plastic increases the back pressure.  Most semi-auto pistols won't work unless there's significant back pressure, so they either use a blank with a heavy plug or have a special barrel with a very small bore. The plug disintegrates quickly (5-20 feet) after leaving the barrel.

None of these are perfectly safe. The goal is to have something that is mostly harmless a few feet away. Even then, proper procedure is to never point a weapon directly at a person. The dangers have long been known -- there are several 1930s murder mysteries which have someone shot to death because a real bullet was substituted for a blank in a prop gun. Murder at Midnight (1931) is an obvious example.

Unless it was an accidental discharge (gun went off without the trigger being touched), this was an 'accident' caused by pure carelessness/ignorance. Basic firearm discipline dictates your finger is never within the trigger guard until you intend to shoot, and you never, never, never point a weapon at someone you don't mean to kill.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Aritosthenes changed the title to Alec Baldwin. (*Updated to Include Mr Baldwin comments upon tragic accident.)
5 hours ago, Movie Collector OH said:

The blank cartridges look very different, but one would need to actually see it and know what they are looking at, to know.

It is also possible for blank cartridges to kill at close range, due to high velocity gasses.  You just don't do this.

P.S. Not a freak accident, but a lack of due diligence by those involved.

That's how BRANDON LEE was killed as I understand it.

I can't imagine the anguish anyone would feel if they were the one who was holding and firing what he/she thought was supposed to be a harmless prop.  

Sepiatone

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

I can't imagine the anguish anyone would feel if they were the one who was holding and firing what he/she thought was supposed to be a harmless prop.

I feel like I almost killed a guy on a bicycle last night. He pulled out against traffic and against the light onto a busy street, never even checking for oncoming cars, and I had to slam on my brakes. It's one of those moments where you're rattled for a few minutes afterward, but I'd forgotten about it by the next morning until I heard this story while driving to work.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Development, warrant claims actor was told gun was not loaded by propmaster. Turns out it was. With a live round. 

https://www.mediaite.com/news/alec-baldwin-didnt-know-prop-gun-contained-a-live-round-warrant-says/

Whomever loaded the gun should be charged with negligent homicide or manslaughter.

By the way anyone with connected brain cells should know not to use LIVE rounds non union or not!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Development, warrant claims actor was told gun was not loaded by propmaster. Turns out it was. With a live round. 

https://www.mediaite.com/news/alec-baldwin-didnt-know-prop-gun-contained-a-live-round-warrant-says/

If reporters would take the time to learn the facts, they wouldn't give so many people the wrong impression.

A BLANK IS A LIVE ROUND!

"Live Round" refers to ammunition which contains any propellant. If you take the bullet off a shell, dump out the powder, and put the bullet back, it's still a live round because it has a primer. (Brandon Lee was killed after this kind of blank (just a case, primer, and bullet) had been fired in a gun, and no one removed the bullet from the barrel before the gun was used again.)

42 minutes ago, Movie Collector OH said:

A propmaster?  Maybe good "Hollywood" protocol, but absolutely bad firearm protocol.  Everyone holding a gun should be 100% familiar with the firearm and the ammo, which means inspecting it themselves.

The problem is too many people know nothing about firearms and never heard even the most basic rules.

When I was in grade school, the local VFW gave basic lessons. The instructor knew his audience -- he showed us a rifle, unloaded it, let each of us look at it closely, then raised this unloaded weapon to his shoulder and fired. Most of us had handled rifles before (getting a .22 on your 7th birthday was a rite of passage), and this scared the bejeebers out of us. He'd put a notepad on the target so we each got a sheet of paper with a hole in it to remind us what can happen with an unloaded gun.

Years later, I learned he was an amateur magician (good enough at sleight-of-hand that no one ever played poker with him), so slipping in a round after we'd all examined the rifle was easy for him. It was also effective. Even these many decades later, I can disassemble a weapon, clean it, and when I reassemble it, in my mind, it's a loaded weapon, and I treat it as such.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

I feel like I almost killed a guy on a bicycle last night. He pulled out against traffic and against the light onto a busy street, never even checking for oncoming cars, and I had to slam on my brakes. It's one of those moments where you're rattled for a few minutes afterward, but I'd forgotten about it by the next morning until I heard this story while driving to work.

I have had similar experience a few times in the past.  Every incident involved an adult riding the bike.  That is why I am opposed to bike lanes on public streets and bike paths/trails that cross public streets.  Actually not too sure about bicycles on public streets at all.  

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Movie Collector OH said:

A propmaster?  Maybe good "Hollywood" protocol, but absolutely bad firearm protocol.  Everyone holding a gun should be 100% familiar with the firearm and the ammo, which means inspecting it themselves. 

P.S. This is no different from being a responsible driver on the road.

Is this you claiming you think Baldwin is somehow responsible for the death?  Or maybe the casting director for not making sure the actor he cast in that role was 100% familiar with firearms?

Sepiatone

15 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

I couldn't count on TWO hands how often that's happened to me.  But mostly a cyclist cruising through an intersection in which HE had the stop sign and too, didn't bother to slow down or even look for oncoming traffic.  Hasn't happened in a while, and lucky for them because I swore off hitting the brake whenever those self indulgent, self righteous dipwads pull a dumb stunt like that again.  :angry:

Sepiatone

• Like 1

It is a sad situation all round.  The ABC Show The Rookie has already made changes.  

There is a big debate up here (WNY) about taking youngsters on hunts and allowing them to use guns/rifles.  Roughly Thanksgiving is where deer, etc. hunting season arrives.  Unfortunately (wasn't it Dick Cheney?) about drinking and shooting or mistaking someone and killing them.  That happened several years ago up here and the man literally got away with murdering some young woman.

I understand Alec Baldwin will not be charged (sure Trump will make a snide comment on it).  If it wasn't a celebrity, would that person have been charged.

Remembered the Twilight Zone crash.

• Like 1

• Aritosthenes changed the title to Alec Baldwin. **Updated, Even More to Include Surprising Affirmative Action; from VERY Unexpected Show.