Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

new Academy Museum of Motion Pictures

This is apparently part of the display for NORTH BY NORTHWEST at the new film museum. While this sort of information/opinion is interesting, it has no place in a film museum (IMO) that's supposedly celebrating film. From what I've heard from others who have visited, the museum is filled with little PC nuggets like this..... Your thoughts?

243542847-10158201761711787-755559056005

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

One of our most beloved forum members is visiting there right now as part of her vacation. Let's hope she posts here (with lots o'pix) upon her return.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, TikiSoo said:

One of our most beloved forum members is visiting there right now as part of her vacation. Let's hope she posts here (with lots o'pix) upon her return.

Would love to see the response. Hopefully the museum has lots of apolitical exhibits......

Mount Rushmore during our trip there in September of 2011. beautiful site.

United States v. Sioux Nation of Indians

"On June 30, 1980, the US Supreme Court ruled that the government had illegally taken land in the Black Hills granted by the 1868 treaty, by unlawfully abrogating article two of the agreement during negotiations in 1876, while failing to achieve the signatures of two-thirds the adult male population required to do so. It upheld an award of $15.5 million for the market value of the land in 1877, along with 103 years worth of interest at 5 percent, for an additional $105 million. The Lakota Sioux, however, have refused to accept payment and instead continue to demand the return of the territory from the United States. As of 24 August 2011 the Sioux interest on the money has compounded to over 1 billion dollars."

I guess the land is more sacred to the Indians than any money is worth. Although just how would the Indians IF they accepted that money would use that money is another question...Squander the money or invest it wisely within their nation?

Mount Rushmore 9_2011.jpg

• Like 2

I have no problems with being pc however, the expectation of visitors to the museum will be to learn about the history of film.  I hope that interesting information is posted about North by Northwest describing the making of this great film.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

→ Are there not enough "historical museums" around to present the above info in an environment where it belongs?    It's not as if the entirety of the movie takes place at Mount Rushmore.  Just the very end . . . but I guess that's enough to add "PC nuggets" to any exhibit on NORTH BY NORTHWEST.  

• Like 2
6 hours ago, fxreyman said:

Mount Rushmore during our trip there in September of 2011. beautiful site.

United States v. Sioux Nation of Indians

"On June 30, 1980, the US Supreme Court ruled that the government had illegally taken land in the Black Hills granted by the 1868 treaty, by unlawfully abrogating article two of the agreement during negotiations in 1876, while failing to achieve the signatures of two-thirds the adult male population required to do so. It upheld an award of $15.5 million for the market value of the land in 1877, along with 103 years worth of interest at 5 percent, for an additional $105 million. The Lakota Sioux, however, have refused to accept payment and instead continue to demand the return of the territory from the United States. As of 24 August 2011 the Sioux interest on the money has compounded to over 1 billion dollars."

I guess the land is more sacred to the Indians than any money is worth. Although just how would the Indians IF they accepted that money would use that money is another question...Squander the money or invest it wisely within their nation?

Imagine, somebody valuing something more than money.  What's the world coming to?   Unfortunately,  I doubt the Sioux are as good as White people at squandering.   Anyway, that's the reason I won't watch NXNW.

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, slaytonf said:

Imagine, somebody valuing something more than money.  What's the world coming to?   Unfortunately,  I doubt the Sioux are as good as White people at squandering.

What a money oriented society looks like:

Aerial-View-V2-94-Sweetbriar-Lane-960x57

qsGVMjDbqRZqtWi-1600x900-noPad.jpg?15540

(I appreciate the Souix's point of view)

• Like 4
17 hours ago, slaytonf said:

Imagine, somebody valuing something more than money.  What's the world coming to?   Unfortunately,  I doubt the Sioux are as good as White people at squandering.   Anyway, that's the reason I won't watch NXNW.

So I guess this reason you provide would also include not watching and film depicting western expansion in the United States during the mid to late 1800's?

That list would then possibly include ANY western made in the last century and quite possibly any other film depicting any type of life that quite possibly could include living on lands that were basically stolen from the original Indian tribes. Guess that means many American films.

• Like 1

We were thrown a fun bone with Harryhausen and the wonderful JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS, then it was, well, quickly back to social significance.....(although HARLAN COUNTY, U.S.A., can never be seen too much imo).

• Like 4
17 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

We were thrown a fun bone with Harryhausen and the wonderful JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS, then it was, well, quickly back to social significance

Just wait. Someone will complain certain monster types were not equally represented. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

IMO and it's only mine.... looking at photos posted online, the museum looks mostly like an airport what with gigantic hallways with nothing more than big "art" on the concrete walls.  Yes there are displays and maybe photography is prohibited in those areas..... But this sure looks a lot like the Denver  airport last time I was there.....

• Like 1

But,... Isn't the subject of Harlan County with its fossil and carbon-based fuels extraction from the earth now to be shunned?  Coal miners, for gosh sakes, nowadays ought to be out of that line of work according to some voices!   My, my, whatever shall we do with such troublesome history that's been left to us? 

• Like 1
On 10/22/2021 at 5:28 AM, UMO1982 said:

This is apparently part of the display for NORTH BY NORTHWEST at the new film museum. While this sort of information/opinion is interesting, it has no place in a film museum (IMO) that's supposedly celebrating film. From what I've heard from others who have visited, the museum is filled with little PC nuggets like this..... Your thoughts?

243542847-10158201761711787-755559056005

The most ridiculous thing I've ever seen.  Totally appropriate in a Museum of the History of Native Americans but absolutely inappropriate in a museum purportedly about the history of movies. 

• Like 6