Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What's in a hat? (Your head!)

Regarding the post-Kennedy youthful look and and anrogenetic alopecia, Britt Reid did not get the inner-office memo:

th?id=OIP.NC5IsvhjGDT_y_HOi_juNgHaJQ&pid=Api&P=0&w=300&h=300  Dug on the HORNeT's outdated attire as a young teen (1976) when the cover of the day was the European riding hat for So(me) Cal youth: th?id=OIP.NnyE__e3TVDyId3OuxNJkgAAAA&pid=Api&P=0&w=300&h=300 

Van Williams took all his hair into old age.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, NoShear said:

I remember the show in syndication from my childhood, Dargo, but don't think I knew it was set in my proverbial backyard.

It was SET in San Fernando Valley, but mostly filmed at the Desilu studios.

I kinda had a "crush" on Lydia Reed(Hassie)  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Re: "It was SET in San Fernando Valley, but mostly filmed at the Desilu studios."

I was referring to its setting - rather than its actual sets.

A few years ago our son started wearing a fedora.  He looked pretty snazzy and received a lot of compliments.  Now he's a little older and perhaps a little more self-conscious,  the fedora is gathering dust in his closet and he's adopted wearing a ball cap.  

My father wore a fedora every day commuting to work. In the winter, he'd wear a warmer Russian style hat.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, NoShear said:

anrogenetic

I'm having to look up this word ...

I couldn't find it, but I did find anDrogenetic ...

Androgenetic alopecia is a common form of hair loss in both men and women. In men, this condition is also known as male-pattern baldness. Hair is lost in a well-defined pattern, beginning above both temples. Over time, the hairline recedes to form a characteristic "M" shape.

Seems like I should have heard this word before, as I'm pretty much the poster boy for the condition! Alopecia I've heard before ...

7 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Well, as I just vented about, those ball caps DO seem to be "obligatory" these days.   Once, when showing up at a family function with my Fedora, someone asked me, "Why do you wear one of those kind of hats?  Why not a baseball cap like everyone else wears?"   And I had to tell her....

"There's two words in the English language that save me from buying or doing just about anything.  'Everybody else'  "  ;)   B)

Sepiatone

They are popular no doubt, but they don't have that formal vibe that  the old time fedora had. Of course some  people look good in ball caps

and  others not so much. I don't wear one. My dad had  a lot of gimme caps from car dealerships and different businesses and organizations.

He'd rotate through them at  random. 

Dargo-you are a super hunk. Good thing you've obscured the tiny car behind you because if it was showing I may not have even noticed you. 😉 I do find it funny that as you age so does your "taste"..... I think I look like an old bat, but still turn snow-top guy's heads!

Sepiatone, if you find a nice vintage hat, you can always bring it to the local hatter to be cleaned & blocked. As a collector I've had to learn how to do this myself. Just yesterday, I cleaned all my summer "straws" to store away in boxes until next summer. 

On 10/23/2021 at 3:51 PM, GGGGerald said:

And the hats I find that do fit are way over priced. So a ball cap will have to do for now.

Even as a hat lover, I hate hate hate baseball caps. Even baseball players shouldn't wear them-instead, maybe something more protective like a hard cap?

I got news for you-NO ONE looks good in them. If a man ever showed up on a date wearing one-no second date. 

Everyone talks about "hat hair", unnecessary. Women wear lightweight woven hair nets to hold their hair smoothly in place under the hat. Those long hat pins would spike through the secured locks to further hold larger hats in place. Once removed, your hair would be perfectly coiffed.

I even wear a hair net under my riding helmet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Sepiatone, if you find a nice vintage hat, you can always bring it to the local hatter to be cleaned & blocked. 

Well, I have no idea where to find a "vintage" Fedora 'round here.  If I find one that needs blocking,  the only "local" hatter to me is a 20 minute freeway drive from my house.  And to the bald guy claiming he needs a ball cap to protect his "cleanhead" from the sun, I can honestly report there are MANY hats available that will do that just fine that AREN'T baseball caps.   And with brims large enough to adequately keep that lucky ol' sun out of your eyes.  

Women in hats?   For me it depends.   When a wedding photographer I saw many fetching hats on brides and bridesmaids that they too, looked fetching in.  What matters is the type and style of hat.  Like if I were a woman, I wouldn't go THIS far!  ;) 

Sepiatone

4 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Well, I have no idea where to find a "vintage" Fedora 'round here.  If I find one that needs blocking,  the only "local" hatter to me is a 20 minute freeway drive from my house.  And to the bald guy claiming he needs a ball cap to protect his "cleanhead" from the sun, I can honestly report there are MANY hats available that will do that just fine that AREN'T baseball caps.   And with brims large enough to adequately keep that lucky ol' sun out of your eyes.  

Women in hats?   For me it depends.   When a wedding photographer I saw many fetching hats on brides and bridesmaids that they too, looked fetching in.  What matters is the type and style of hat.  Like if I were a woman, I wouldn't go THIS far!  ;) 

Sepiatone

Agree that there is a wide variety of hats to wear, but most of them are designed to trap heat, which is not desirable when it's 110 in Texas.  I do wear a flat cap in the winter sometimes, and when I travel to the UK.

There's a time and place for everything.  I don't wear one when "out on the town".   I wear it running errands, or while working in the yard, or at an outdoor sporting event.   And I always take it off inside.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When I did yardwork, I wore one of a few straw Stetson "copycat" hats with plenty of openings for heat to escape through, so that reason is out.  Plenty of sun protection and no trapped heat.  And I bought them at a big-box Meijer store for less than $8.  Two are tan colored and a couple more are white, which as you know, reflects heat away as well.  ;) 

Sepiatone

19 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

I'm having to look up this word ...

I couldn't find it, but I did find anDrogenetic ...

Androgenetic alopecia is a common form of hair loss in both men and women. In men, this condition is also known as male-pattern baldness. Hair is lost in a well-defined pattern, beginning above both temples. Over time, the hairline recedes to form a characteristic "M" shape.

Seems like I should have heard this word before, as I'm pretty much the poster boy for the condition! Alopecia I've heard before ...

I think there's a vanity/virility quotient that exists with male-pattern baldness: On one hand no man wants to lose their hair but, conversely, there's said to be a lot of masculinity that goes along with an absence of hair - Sean Connery, for one, is an obvious example.

On the topic of both balding and ballcaps...

There was some thought that baseball catchers suffered from loss of hair because of all their protective headwear. 

Everybody's favorite backstop when I was a kid, Johnny Bench, has since lent the idea some support:

fe57eed15dfc1069481ba8219e80457c.jpg                                                                                                                     th?id=OIP.w3NWYFal0xYyJiVUMyP6RAHaEK&pid=Api&P=0&w=322&h=181

Had he not had his chest opened up shortly following his second MVP season (1972) in exploration of an ominous spot on his lung, who knows what Johnny Bench's career would've looked like in retrospect...

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, NoShear said:

I think there's a vanity/virility quotient that exists with male-pattern baldness: On one hand no man wants to lose their hair but, conversely, there's said to be a lot of masculinity that goes along with an absence of hair - Sean Connery, for one, is an obvious example.

Never considered it.  I never wrung my hands or gnashed my teeth over the loss of hair.    Especially seeing far balder guys than me not making a big deal out of it.

I adopted a Gracie Allen type of take on it----

"They say a sign of intelligence in a man is a high forehead.  The smartest man I ever saw had a forehead so high it went over the top of his head!"  :D 

Sepiatone

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

After reading posts on this thread, I thought I'd 'take a dip in the pool', so to speak.

I have a total of 16 hats, but I had none until about 2004.  I have 3 ball caps that I would only wear to cover up my 'bed head' if I ran out of gas or cigarettes and had to go to the convenience store early in the morning.  Since I quit smoking in 2019, I seldom wear those anymore.  I have 2 bucket hats and 1 broad-brimmed sun hat.  Two of these 3 hats were gifts from other people, but I don't hardly wear them when I'm doing yard work, because they make my head too hot.  If I'm mowing my yard, I most always tie a bandana into a doo-rag on intensely sunny days.  If it's not too hot, I go hatless, but use sun screen on the exposed skin.  I used to always wear a shirt when mowing too, but since I've been working out, I don't mind 'popping the top' when I mow.  It's better for me in that, I tend to sweat a lot whether I'm doing intense work (like mowing, which takes a little over 90 minutes for me to do with a push mower), or lifting weights during my home workouts.  Fortunately, the neighbors haven't called the cops on me for indecent exposure!  But, I digress...  I also have a stocking hat that I only wear on days when I have to get out and shovel snow.

Here, I laid out the other 9 hats in my 'collection' on my dining room table.  I have a man's body, but a child's head, so it's hard for me to find something that fits just right!

2035174986_20211025_121117(2).thumb.jpg.a2c2d38ee0a7cd3292da53f8faefaa69.jpg

• Like 6

i wear a fedora every day and have for the last 20 years. love 'em.  my first fedora is the one i inherited from my grandfather and my collection has grown to about 15 over the years.  

• Like 3
7 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Dargo-you are a super hunk. Good thing you've obscured the tiny car behind you because if it was showing I may not have even noticed you. 😉 I do find it funny that as you age so does your "taste"..... I think I look like an old bat, but still turn snow-top guy's heads!

Sepiatone, if you find a nice vintage hat, you can always bring it to the local hatter to be cleaned & blocked. As a collector I've had to learn how to do this myself. Just yesterday, I cleaned all my summer "straws" to store away in boxes until next summer. 

Even as a hat lover, I hate hate hate baseball caps. Even baseball players shouldn't wear them-instead, maybe something more protective like a hard cap?

I got news for you-NO ONE looks good in them. If a man ever showed up on a date wearing one-no second date. 

Everyone talks about "hat hair", unnecessary. Women wear lightweight woven hair nets to hold their hair smoothly in place under the hat. Those long hat pins would spike through the secured locks to further hold larger hats in place. Once removed, your hair would be perfectly coiffed.

I even wear a hair net under my riding helmet.

I appreciate your sentiment,  ball caps aren't ideal (around here, its a uniform lol), but refuse to pay $70 for hat to wear to the grocery store.

• Haha 1

My dermatologist insists that I wear a hat. A baseball cap doesn't cover your ears, leaving them vulnerable to melanoma. Fedoras are great. The first time I tried on a fedora, I thought it was my dad in the mirror, and that wasn't a bad thing at all. As cars get smaller and smaller, wearing a hat in the car becomes more difficult.

• Like 4

I've worn hats for as long as I remember. I wear hats all the time, day or night,  when I'm diving, taking a leisure walk, going out, etc. I have several types of hats, and I prefer medium to wide-brimmed styles; they are excellent as protection against heat and sunlight. I even have two rice hats that I always wear when I'm doing yard work or going to the farm.

I also have a fair collection of berets and flat caps of different styles that I alternate with the hats depending on the weather or occasion.

I'm one of the very few men who wear hats in public were I live, other than cowboy hats, I mean. I understand that fashion changes, but I hope that more people realize that hats are not only fine accessories, but they can also be very useful to protect ourselves in hot and cold climates.

• Like 4

I think the trend in fashion over the years has headed in the direction of more comfortable and practical clothing.   People today are dressing in a more casual way.  It's startling to see older movies when everyone dressed up.  They wore suits, ties, hats, etc. just to do something like taking a trip on  a bus or to go out of the house.   I'm glad I live in a time when women no longer have to always wear stockings, heels, gloves, girdles, etc. but it's too bad that hats are no longer very popular.  They're so much fun and I think men look really handsome in a great hat.  Here's a few of my movie favorites in hats.

image.jpeg.9221532a1743ab8cf829df83e1db6772.jpeg    image.jpeg.ca485eef1156bd4319ba1307819774fe.jpeg    image.jpeg.59011246d4e25e620f62f2af020f82ba.jpeg    image.jpeg.efeda8519d1d54d8696ac4823f6ac085.jpeg    image.jpeg.7a45e561046ca97bdab3762b11953abc.jpeg

• Like 5