Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

ROY THINNES' "THE INVADERS" CYCLING ANEW ON METV

roy-thinnes-wallpaper.jpg

Yay.   MeTV is cranking up "The Invaders" again, right away, with Episode 1  "Beachhead" airing at the usual time, 5:00 a.m. Eastern Sunday mornings.  Starting Sunday, October 24.

Once again, "architect, David Vincent"  will traverse that lonely country road, fall asleep and awaken, only to find himself on the weirdest trip of all-- trying to convince a disbelieving world that "they" are here--  the aliens.

I love the way Roy Thinnes played this --  serious, totally straight, totally committed.  He's like a latter-day Kevin McCarthy from "The Invasion of the Body Snatchers".     Earnest, single-minded, oblivious to other concerns.   They were both perfect for their respective roles.

Thinnes could have exploited his considerable personal appeal, luring audiences, but instead, he made Vincent a bit sour,  rarely turning on the charm, and hoarding his smiles.  Very good for the role;  I think I read that producers were frustrated with that.  

"Beachhead" is also fun for having James Daly as David Vincent's loyal architecture partner.  

I love the wackiness of that fire set in David's cool young Sixties' apartment, with Ellen Corby gloating in the background...

The color in "The Invaders" is vivid, saturated, enticing.   I suppose some sci fi purists find the special effects of the time to be wanting.   I love them as part of the distinctive "Invaders" package.   To me, the sci fi aspect is not what really makes the series--  it's the "quest", ha.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, slaytonf said:

Paranoid's delight.

In THAT case slayton, perhaps this old Quinn Martin production could find a whole NEW audience to entertain, and considering that a major strain of paranoia seems to be sweeping through this country of ours in the past few years. And no, I'm not talkin' about Covid here, dude!

(...think of this as my "social commentary" for the evening)  ;)

• Like 2

Wow! It just occurred to me that J.D. Cannon and Diane Baker were in the first episode of "The Invaders" and the final episode of "The Fugitive." 

See the source image

See the source image

• Like 1

Wow, JAKEEM ,  are you observant, to notice and remember those two appearing in tandem in both "The Fugitive" and "The Invaders"!

That's one thing I really like about Quinn Martin Productions,  the way they would mix and match, and cross-pollinate the actors from one of their series to the other.   It was like one big stock company, and there were lots of repeat actors in both.  Like Lin McCarthy, Dabbs Greer, Diana Hyland, Dabney Coleman, and on and on.

"The Invaders" got a lot of terrific performers, from both old Hollywood and new.   Classics like Kent Smith and Roddy McDowell.  Newer ones like Carol Lynley ,  Antoinette Bower,  Jack Lord.   Loved Suzanne Pleshette in "Invaders".    Roy Thinnes has said that he couldn't believe his luck, as a relative newcomer, to have guest stars like Ralph Bellamy being willing to go on the show... 

DARGO,  I do like that 'metaphor' aspect of Invaders--   like all of a sudden,  the once- familiar is alien, things are topsy turvy,  people (and institutions) are not what they seem, you can't trust what you formerly trusted, etc.

Hmmm,  SLAYTONF,  there is that tingly element of paranoia animating the series, among other things.   I've always liked sort of "paranoid thrillers" like "The Parallax View",  among others, so that fits. 

• Like 2

THE INVADERS has a very similar vibe to THE FUGITIVE.  And that's no surprise. 

Too bad "The Invaders" didn't last a little bit longer.  Only ran a season or a season-and-a-half if memory serves. 

• Like 1

ultimately taken in total I find the invaders unsatisfying. thinnes is great but the producer and writers coulda done so much better. the invaders throughout the show remain too much of a mystery.  they have no emotions or human sensibilities but yet are able to feign human behavior effortlessly which doesn't really add up. in one ep with a female alien who is pretending to be falling in love with vincent as soon as he rips the veneer off her facade she becomes as cold as ice even threatening to murder him. this MO in almost every ep does not come off and I just can't buy it and overall it effects the viability of the show's premise.

and the show's ominous opening narration...

during it the narrator reveals the aliens are from another galaxy...yet this is never again touched upon in any episode. references to them being from another planet sure but never is being from another galaxy ever mentioned again that I can remember. 

the show works because of roy thinnes and that's it.

we need a cd audioplay with roy reprising vincent.

:)

• Like 2

The narrator of "The Invaders" was William T. Woodson, who also provided the memorable narrations for the 1980s ABC miniseries "The Winds of War" and "War and Remembrance."

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Mr. Gorman said:

THE INVADERS has a very similar vibe to THE FUGITIVE.  And that's no surprise. 

Too bad "The Invaders" didn't last a little bit longer.  Only ran a season or a season-and-a-half if memory serves. 

Had low viewer turnout.  Also no surprise.

About time somebody made this.

b2ca64c1b1b7ef2526ec277e6cae8741.jpg

• Like 2
19 hours ago, lilypond said:

Yay.   MeTV is cranking up "The Invaders" again, right away, with Episode 1  "Beachhead" airing at the usual time, 5:00 a.m. Eastern Sunday mornings.  Starting Sunday, October 24.

Thanks for the advance warning; I was able to record it and watch today. I needed a weekly retro nibblet to replace the Alfred Hitchcock series, The Time Tunnel, and Land of the Giants, all of which I have finished. I will watch all the way through, thanks also to the general positive write-up from Wikipedia.

• Like 1

That's great, WBOGACZ--  I'm so glad you saw the alert in time to record.  Would love it if, at any point, you'd come back here and give your reactions to the series.   I know only two other people who watch, and with whom I can indulge in "Invaders"  deep analysis, ha.

It's had a certain impact on pop culture--   most evident in France, predictably.   There's been an 'Invaders' devoted fan base there, with, I understand,  special showings and  'learned' conferences, etc.    It's funny how the French seem to relate and grab onto certain aspects of American culture....    

You're right, MR. GORMAN,  the whole series consisted of a short first season ( 17 episodes, I think) and a somewhat longer second season.  We have the complete DVD set, but for some reason, I like watching it as aired on METV.  

Episode 2 was the second consecutive installment directed by the great Emmy Award-winner Joseph Sargent.

It was interesting to see that Paul Gleason -- who later appeared in John Hughes' "The Breakfast Club" as the vice principal -- was uncredited as an alien.

See the source image