Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Bring back the old TCM


Guy123
 Share

Recommended Posts

it's so sad what the once greatest channel has become....the "new tcm"....could easily be named "stab loyal viewers in the back" channel...the line-up of movies is not "classic" and very weak...yes you folks are the bartender but to serve your customers rot-gut  is criminal....have you lost your good taste in great classic movies?..why are you trying to appeal to a younger  generation with no  taste,little character and who were weaned on MTV and cell phones....As Lauren Bacall has said "if you've seen a good movie---you've seen an old move"...not 60s,70s,80s,90s junk your showing..please go back to the OLD TCM--these newer movies are unwatchable!!!!

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/25/2021 at 8:36 PM, Guy123 said:

it's so sad what the once greatest channel has become....the "new tcm"....could easily be named "stab loyal viewers in the back" channel...the line-up of movies is not "classic" and very weak...yes you folks are the bartender but to serve your customers rot-gut  is criminal....have you lost your good taste in great classic movies?..why are you trying to appeal to a younger  generation with no  taste,little character and who were weaned on MTV and cell phones....As Lauren Bacall has said "if you've seen a good movie---you've seen an old move"...not 60s,70s,80s,90s junk your showing..please go back to the OLD TCM--these newer movies are unwatchable!!!!

Maybe "loyal viewers" need to broaden their horizons a bit.  While most of the movies I love come from the 30s, 40s and 50s (30 yrs), I think there are a ton of those that are barely watchable.  With all the programming time they need to fill, it can't all be 5-star flicks. You've got to hone in on the stuff you like, but keep your eyes open for different things. Ever try a silent film, or a foreign film?  You can't possibly believe that nothing worthwhile has been made after 1960! This is 2020-- that's 60 yrs, for heaven sake.  I'll bet you'd prefer they prop up ol' Bob too, rather than this new crop of hosts. Tough, time marches on. I don't necessarily like the new graphics (yet), but I'll continue to trust TCM, and value the info passed on by the hosts. (And all those cool little features, like "What a Character".  No reason not to show "junk" like Raging Bull, or Silence of the Lambs, or Unforgiven, or a hundred other films.  I also lament the younger generations' disdain for movies made before they were born.  All you can do there is try to spread the love, maybe they'll catch on eventually. But you're just as bad as they are--  only in the other direction!  It's still the greatest channel.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I must say, these kind of 'Newbie' poster rants are pretty funny.  We see this commonly on the Forum. 

Someone signs up simply to  b-i-t-c-h and moan ( 😤 ) about this, that or the other.  I find it amusing to read these posts.  😜

  • Like 4
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, B-RAD said:

I also lament the younger generations' disdain for movies made before they were born.

Yeah, I'm stuck in the middle somewhere.  I can clearly see the people older than me unhappy about post-1960 films being aired, but I also know kids who would fall asleep in three seconds (or put their brains to sleep in a similar amount of time by getting out their phones) if they had to watch a movie that came out before, I don't know, 2015. There are movies I love from all eras, and I don't mind increasing diversity in the films presented so much.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's interesting to me, this latest Then Meets Now promotional filler that TCM has been running for a couple of weeks now, I think.   In case you haven't seen it, there are clips of older movies which are followed by various reaction shots of a contemporary audience.  Ok, so far, in that this is an attempt to link younger generations to movies of an age that the kids probably don't know much about.  Most of the reaction shots are people in their 20's or a little bit younger perhaps -- I could be missing some though.  But there are a couple that stand out to me.  

I'm thinking of two little kids -- maybe 5 or 7 years old -- watching "Wizard of Oz" and "Royal Wedding."  Now what fascinates me is that we don't see with whom the kids are watching these movies.  Are they in a room with their parents?  Grandparents?  Friend's house?  How have these two little tykes stumbled on TCM as a source for classic movies?  Did a five-year-old really leaf through his tattered copy of TV Guide to find "Royal Wedding" playing at 3:00 am Thursday morning on Turner Classic Movies?

I guess what's intriguing to me about all this so far is that TCM is assuming the audience is just there ready with popcorn and unbridled enthusiasm for a good old cinematic story-hour.  Speaking from personal experience, we have a 27-year-old son who was raised on movies from the TCM classic era.  He still has a pretty good knowledge of them, though his main viewing these days is more contemporary stuff.  And yet, he and I can quote entire scenes from certain movies that he grew up on.  Yeah! It's Fun! And it bugs the heck out of his mother!

So I'm wondering how this new push by TCM is going to play out.  Who, exactly, in his life is going to introduce Fred Astaire's dancing on the ceiling to a kid  so that the little guy can laugh out loud with astonishment and wonder?

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I noticed the OP included the '60's in his list of "junk" years( the '70's, '80's and '90's).   Been a long time since we've seen anyone complain about movies from past 1960 being "too new" to be shown on TCM.   I'd like to see GUY123 come back and tell us a bit about himself  and hist history of liking "classic" movies.  ;) 

Sepiatone

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, brianNH said:

It's interesting to me, this latest Then Meets Now promotional filler that TCM has been running for a couple of weeks now, I think.   In case you haven't seen it, there are clips of older movies which are followed by various reaction shots of a contemporary audience.  Ok, so far, in that this is an attempt to link younger generations to movies of an age that the kids probably don't know much about.  Most of the reaction shots are people in their 20's or a little bit younger perhaps -- I could be missing some though.  But there are a couple that stand out to me.  

I'm thinking of two little kids -- maybe 5 or 7 years old -- watching "Wizard of Oz" and "Royal Wedding."  Now what fascinates me is that we don't see with whom the kids are watching these movies.  Are they in a room with their parents?  Grandparents?  Friend's house?  How have these two little tykes stumbled on TCM as a source for classic movies?  Did a five-year-old really leaf through his tattered copy of TV Guide to find "Royal Wedding" playing at 3:00 am Thursday morning on Turner Classic Movies?

I guess what's intriguing to me about all this so far is that TCM is assuming the audience is just there ready with popcorn and unbridled enthusiasm for a good old cinematic story-hour.  Speaking from personal experience, we have a 27-year-old son who was raised on movies from the TCM classic era.  He still has a pretty good knowledge of them, though his main viewing these days is more contemporary stuff.  And yet, he and I can quote entire scenes from certain movies that he grew up on.  Yeah! It's Fun! And it bugs the heck out of his mother!

So I'm wondering how this new push by TCM is going to play out.  Who, exactly, in his life is going to introduce Fred Astaire's dancing on the ceiling to a kid  so that the little guy can laugh out loud with astonishment and wonder?

That brings to mind the current trend of amateur "reaction" videos on YT, where people of various and sundry demographics are shown something out-of-group for the first time (often music videos), with real time picture-in-picture visual responses.

It's great that you and your son can quote movies like that!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

I noticed the OP included the '60's in his list of "junk" years( the '70's, '80's and '90's).   Been a long time since we've seen anyone complain about movies from past 1960 being "too new" to be shown on TCM.   I'd like to see GUY123 come back and tell us a bit about himself  and hist history of liking "classic" movies.  ;) 

Sepiatone

I see it in terms of peaks and dips of interest myself.  😁

Hint: I'm not hanging out at HBO Max.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've said it before, I'll say it again. If TCM is really trying to appeal to "younger audiences" they need to just keep what they air classic. I (20) and my sisters (17 &15) watch TCM for the old stuff (1920s to 70s). There is really no other channel we have access to for this. The viewing of these classic films educates us and allows us to connect with the past in a way that makes us reflect on the present. I've been watching TCM since I was 15 and I do find myself viewing it a little less now because the programming just kinda seems all over the place and I haven't been seeing a ton of films I would normally watch, but that's just me and I am just one out of millions so what do I know. I can't really bash TCM because they did inspire my love for classic film thus inspiring my love for fashion and music of the past and for that I am grateful, but perhaps they should take into consideration everyone's views to try and find some sort of happy medium whatever that may be. I don't like seeing anyone unhappy and I sure hope TCM doesn't as well, but it seems hard to please everyone in a situation like this.  Super unrealistic, but it would honestly be the best thing in the world if there were separate channels dedicated to each decade. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/25/2021 at 9:36 PM, Guy123 said:

it's so sad what the once greatest channel has become....the "new tcm"....could easily be named "stab loyal viewers in the back" channel...the line-up of movies is not "classic" and very weak...yes you folks are the bartender but to serve your customers rot-gut  is criminal....have you lost your good taste in great classic movies?..why are you trying to appeal to a younger  generation with no  taste,little character and who were weaned on MTV and cell phones....As Lauren Bacall has said "if you've seen a good movie---you've seen an old move"...not 60s,70s,80s,90s junk your showing..please go back to the OLD TCM--these newer movies are unwatchable!!!!

I wouldn't waste my time abasing myself before these buncha slackers!

it's like Sheree North said to JD Cannon in Lawman (1971)

"they just don't care!"

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is a public forum I believe.  Everyone can voice their opinion on how they feel. Let me say this we may not agree with another's opinion, but we can comment in a nice way. When I first joined, the very first post I wrote had an unkind reply. I'm angry about the unkind replies above.  I also agree that TCM show films that are not classics. There are of course good films from the 60s and 70s. Maybe beyond still no need to be mean.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/25/2021 at 6:36 PM, Guy123 said:

it's so sad what the once greatest channel has become....the "new tcm"....could easily be named "stab loyal viewers in the back" channel...the line-up of movies is not "classic" and very weak...yes you folks are the bartender but to serve your customers rot-gut  is criminal....have you lost your good taste in great classic movies?..why are you trying to appeal to a younger  generation with no  taste,little character and who were weaned on MTV and cell phones....As Lauren Bacall has said "if you've seen a good movie---you've seen an old move"...not 60s,70s,80s,90s junk your showing..please go back to the OLD TCM--these newer movies are unwatchable!!!!

The TCM you long for never existed.  What you call for is for TCM not to be what it always was and remains.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, mabelnormand1930 said:

This is a public forum I believe.  Everyone can voice their opinion on how they feel. Let me say this we may not agree with another's opinion, but we can comment in a nice way. When I first joined, the very first post I wrote had an unkind reply. I'm angry about the unkind replies above.  I also agree that TCM show films that are not classics. There are of course good films from the 60s and 70s. Maybe beyond still no need to be mean.

People do express their opinions on this forum. Positive opinions and negative opinions.

However, I think we should practice a bit more care when expressing the negative opinions and maybe try to turn them into something constructive. TCM pays for the upkeep of this site. We're just the guests. We shouldn't abuse our privilege and use the site to criticize the channel at every turn. 

When I see these types of threads where someone registered a new user name because they had a large axe to grind, instead of coming on to say what they like or appreciate about TCM, I find that worrisome. It's a form of bad manners.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is it just my imagination or is it so that many moons ago TMC did not exist and it was AMC that aired classic  old films night and day?  I am open to loving correction ;)

Now AMC is essentially contemporary films/content, classic being relative/relegated to the 80's or 90's. 

TMC is the monopoly holder on "classic" films. De facto.

I don't have any issues with newer ( or even new) created product being woven into older more traditional classic movies. I don't have issues with subtitles or no sound at all.

Alas, IMHO, what makes a movie "classic" ( in the sense that we all universally viscerally respond to a well constructed old movie) are issues of form and aesthetic - not time, space or place. Quality and style of acting, framing, lighting, decor, wardrobe et al comprise classic. Dare I say not language or chronology.

Now, if you want to argue the merit ( or lack thereof) of some recent selections made for viewing I would not dispute this point. But my grounds would be aesthetic ones and not superficial ones.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, cineman said:

Alas, IMHO, what makes a movie "classic" ( in the sense that we all universally viscerally respond to a well constructed old movie) are issues of form and aesthetic - not time, space or place. Quality and style of acting, framing, lighting, decor, wardrobe et al comprise classic. Dare I say not language or chronology.

Interesting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/4/2021 at 6:54 PM, Mr. Gorman said:

I must say, these kind of 'Newbie' poster rants are pretty funny.  We see this commonly on the Forum. 

Someone signs up simply to  b-i-t-c-h and moan ( 😤 ) about this, that or the other.  I find it amusing to read these posts.  😜

Says the "advanced member" whose opinion must matter more

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When will TCM change it's name to more accurately reflect its new direction?  You can't satisfy classic film fans while also trying to please those interested in documentaries on "socially relevant" issues along with films that are clearly not classics. Have you noticed that TCM even continues to co-mingle its old logo from past promos with its new (decidedly bad) logo? A real marketing faux pas, btw.  The Two Faces of TCM is both disturbing and unpleasant to watch.

"No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other."

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, RealClassic said:

When will TCM change it's name to more accurately reflect its new direction?  You can't satisfy classic film fans while also trying to please those interested in documentaries on "socially relevant" issues along with films that are clearly not classics. Have you noticed that TCM even continues to co-mingle its old logo from past promos with its new (decidedly bad) logo? A real marketing faux pas, btw.  The Two Faces of TCM is both disturbing and unpleasant to watch.

"No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other."

Good post. I don't entirely agree, but I do like how you worded your thoughts on the subject.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...