Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Carl Laemmle on TCM!

Tonight at 5pm PST (8pm EST) the documentary Carl Laemmle (which I'm in!) will be premiering on TCM. Following the movie, they're going to play a few of Carl's films including Dracula, Frankenstein, Phantom of the Opera, and All Quiet on the Western Front. I'm excited to be on TV at all, but especially excited to see my face on TCM, and I hope you all enjoy it too! I'd love to hear your thoughts about the doc, as well as some of your favorite Laemmle films. I've included the trailer below - the first part of the video is talking about my experience filming and seeing the doc, but the trailer itself starts at 4:50. Thank you! ☺️

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I had missed this on the schedule-noticed that morning! Quickly set the DVR, can't wait to see it.

Documentaries can be hit-or-miss. I loathe any reenactments and screen time wasted on talking heads gushing about "influencing me". If Antonia likes it, I'm betting it's great-after all-Laemmle's story is an amazing one, reference the ending tagline of the trailer.

Love the photo of the crew at the 5:56 mark in Antonia's video. Who was the kid? And what's written under the gallows? I'm guessing some glib sign for disruptive employees.

Thanks for bringing this up, hope TCM duly promoted it. PS loved your Hay's Code video-keep up the great work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I only saw the last 40 minutes of this last evening but thankfully it was being showed again and we could record it early this morning (1:45 AM EST).

So I am looking forward to watching this later with my wife.  

• Like 1

And here I would've thought TCM inviting Antonia Carlotta over to Atlanta so she could've co-hosted the evening with Ben would have been a natural.

(...I've said the following before around here ya know, folks...TCM should give this bright, articulate and attractive young lady some on-air exposure)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
29 minutes ago, Ray Faiola said:

Totally missed this! Do you think there will be an encore performance at some later date?

I see it listed on a streaming site 'chaiflicks.com', which apparently has a free trial:

https://www.chaiflicks.com/carl-laemmle

Don't see it listed again on TCM, but the schedule currently only goes out to the end of December.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Dargo said:

And here I would've thought TCM inviting Antonia Carlotta over to Atlanta so she could've co-hosted the evening with Ben would have been a natural.

(...I've said the following before around here ya know, folks...TCM should give this bright, articulate and attractive young lady some on-air exposure)

Dargo I was thinking the same thing, she would  do well as a host I would not have to mute her which would be an improvement over another one  at TCM...

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Dargo said:

Same.

• 1 month later...

Always come late to the party...I had held off watching this because of having such high expectations. 

I loved it-a perfect documentary. It had the right amount of interviews, film clips, story arc, etc. I did notice stock footage used more than once-but that would be my only complaint (the viewer shouldn't notice!)

Antonia Carlotta was great as usual, although sharply edited to include one sentence at a time! And so so nice to see Carla Laemmle & inclusion of those Laemmle "brought over". 

My criteria for any documentary is "did I learn even one new thing?" sometimes difficult with a familiar subject. But yes, I learned (new to me) that Carl brought William Wyler over & that he brought Irving Thalberg to Hollywood. Wow.

Carl Laemmle was such an extraordinary man-he made a huge contribution to our culture and to many personal lives. Very inspirational Hollywood story, why aren't there more?

• Like 7

I agree, Tikisoo.  I watched this when it was on and thought that this is what a documentary should be.  Extremely well-done with fascinating bits of information scattered throughout.  

I've been quite put off lately with some of the contemporary documentaries and series that TCM has been running that seem to focus more on the filmmaker's journey through the subject.  How many shots from a moving vehicle on a rainy and windswept coastal road do we have to look at before you get to the point?  That's been my reaction, anyway; and many of you will see it differently, I'm sure.  (The exception to this style is of course Ross McElwee's 1985 "Sherman's March")

Both the Laemmle and the Dean Martin documentaries have been real pleasures to watch.  So thanks to TCM for showing them.

• Like 5
2 hours ago, brianNH said:

thought that this is what a documentary should be.

Yeah, I had to abandon a documentary on Netflix (or Hulu or somewhere) about Lynyrd Skynyrd, a band I'm very familiar with (much more than their hits) the moment some nobody was given screen time about how much the band "influenced" them. Who cares? I'd rather hear something about the subject I didn't know.

I'm not crazy about a person's personal (sex) life, but anything that sheds light on their creative work is always appreciated.

• Like 2