Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Advertising and promotional films and actors

ElCid

I recently purchased another DVD of old car advertisements and related films.  One I watched today was New Roads to Roam (1936), a Jam Handy production.  Just love the Jam Handy name.  Apparently he made a lot of films for the auto industry and I have seen a few.  I think New Roads to Roam was used as title for several auto related films. 

The 1936 film ostensibly featured the Lincoln Zephyr, but much of it plays like a 1930's rom-com with no cars visible.  The cast featured "internationally famed actors": Lois Wilson, Conway Tearle, Natalie Moorhead and Niles Welch.  I think all went back to silents, but they did a lot of movies.  Only watched about half of it, but kind of interesting in a period sort of way.

• Like 1

I just responded in a sub forum about promo/advertising/instructional "shorts" that have been newly digitized, including several notable Jam Handy productions. 

Both AVGeeks & Periscope Films have been making transfers of these films which I find fascinating for historical content. I'm a big fan of the "social issues" like hygiene, chores and basic manners. I have located several rare films that I remembered seeing as a child, fascinating windows of the past.

Just saw this last night... amazingly no reference of skin color until 3/4 of the way through, before that the men are referenced as "brave Americans". It sure sounded like it was narrated by Ronald Reagan.

AVGeeks.com offers compilation disks by genre. Not sure how you'd purchase Periscope's videos, which seem perfect for documentary footage.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

I just responded in a sub forum about promo/advertising/instructional "shorts" that have been newly digitized, including several notable Jam Handy productions. 

Both AVGeeks & Periscope Films have been making transfers of these films which I find fascinating for historical content. I'm a big fan of the "social issues" like hygiene, chores and basic manners. I have located several rare films that I remembered seeing as a child, fascinating windows of the past.

Just saw this last night... amazingly no reference of skin color until 3/4 of the way through, before that the men are referenced as "brave Americans". It sure sounded like it was narrated by Ronald Reagan.

AVGeeks.com offers compilation disks by genre. Not sure how you'd purchase Periscope's videos, which seem perfect for documentary footage.

Which sub forum?  Didn't know there was one.

1 hour ago, TikiSoo said:

Thanks, but I thought you meant something in the  Genre Forums or similar.  The above linked to Information Please re: an anti-drug movie.  Guess you were posting specifically about that one movie.

9 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Definitely Reagan.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings