Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

10 hours ago, AndreaDoria said:

I agree and that's all I was trying to say here. 

My favorite actress is Barbara Stanwyck, but if some people wanted to come here and say they didn't like her and why, I would be interested in what they had to say and defend their right to say it.  I would also probably write a rebuttal about why I think she's great. 

What I don't like is this attitude I've seen here a lot lately that if you don't like an actor, or film or TCM presenter, you should keep your mouth shut about it or go somewhere else.

I have not seen that attitude anywhere in this thread,  and I most definitely did not say anything like that myself.

For fear of stating the obvious, Hepburn gets a lot of TCM airplay because she's won more acting Oscars than anyone else so far and is an icon of the era.   Whether she deserved all of those is perhaps a topic for discussion, but you can't deny she was a major force in "classic" American films.

Ball hasn't had a lot of her films play on TCM over the years (compared to someone like Hepburn).  Her film profile isn't comparable, as she was known as the queen of the B's for much of her movie career.  This month has been an exception, since she was SOTM.

As far as other actors not being represented enough, or adequately, there could be a dozen reasons: lost films, films in such bad condition they can't be or haven't been restored (both of these more pertinent for silent and early sound films), the ever-present rights issues and the costs of acquiring them.  As much as we'd like to believe they should/could, TCM can't afford to show all the films ever made in Hollywood.  They do have a budget, just like everyone else.

• Thanks 2
2 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

I have not seen that attitude anywhere in this thread,

I haven't seen that attitude anywhere on these whole message boards! In fact, quite the opposite. People feel an obligation to say they don't like the TCM presenters, and they say it a LOT.

• Thanks 1
On 10/28/2021 at 1:08 PM, Sepiatone said:

You do know you can either---

Put in a disc or a tape( if you still have and can play those) or...

Choose one of the other 200+ channels availed to you.  ;) 

Then you can avoid all the Lucy or Kate films you want.

I like both Kate and Lucy ("LOVE" Lucy, actually  ;) )  And anything Lucy did early on( won't get into the late career MAME)  but not all of Kate's roles.  But that's more or less the way it is with just about every actor and actress.  

I still feel it's too bad the studio suits were so short-sighted as far as Lucy was concerned.  She(to me) was way more talented and beautiful than they gave her credit for.   

Sepiatone

@Misswonderly, I was not referring to you or anyone else but Sepiatone.  I thought the first part of the above post, which was directed at Mabelnormand was rude to her and tantamount to telling her if she didn't like something she should leave.  

• Thanks 1
On 10/27/2021 at 11:53 PM, mabelnormand1930 said:

Not a fan of either, TCM, please retire their films for a while.

On 10/31/2021 at 1:01 AM, mabelnormand1930 said:

I have been completely misunderstood here. I did not mean TCM should stop showing Lucy and Katherines films.

Can you see the line "please retire their films for awhile" was interpreted as "don't show those movies" with Lucy and/or Kate Hepburn? Seems that's exactly what you're saying in the original post.

But you've been offended by:

On 10/28/2021 at 1:08 PM, Sepiatone said:

You do know you can either---

Put in a disc or a tape( if you still have and can play those) or...

Choose one of the other 200+ channels availed to you.  ;) 

Then you can avoid all the Lucy or Kate films you want.

All that is being said here is if you don't like what TCM broadcasts, there's other alternatives. You have a choice of watch to watch, but little choice to what stations can & do broadcast.

I don't care for violent movies, so I just don't watch them. To complain to the broadcast station (or anyone for that matter) is fruitless.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, AndreaDoria said:

@Misswonderly, I was not referring to you or anyone else but Sepiatone.  I thought the first part of the above post, which was directed at Mabelnormand was rude to her and tantamount to telling her if she didn't like something she should leave.  

TIKI made clear what I was really meaning.   That if Mabel didn't wish to see any Lucille Ball or Kate Hepburn movies,  then there are alternatives.  Unless you were under the impression that Mabel only watches ONE channel on her TV all day long. :o

I'm pretty sure nobody here does.  I only watch TCM whenever they're showing a movie I might be, or AM interested in seeing.  If not, then I look elsewhere to see what THEY have on.  One TV channel all day long?  Hell.  I don't even do that with my radio;) 

Sepiatone

To Sepiatone, 

Im not being mean, but I don't need to be reminded there are other channels on my tv.

To AndreaDoria

Thank you for the kind words.

I didn't mean to offend anyone by saying I wish tcm would retire KH, and LB films.

Retire was a bad choice of words to use. 

Mabel🦋

• Like 2
12 hours ago, mabelnormand1930 said:

To Sepiatone, 

Im not being mean, but I don't need to be reminded there are other channels on my tv.

To AndreaDoria

Thank you for the kind words.

I didn't mean to offend anyone by saying I wish tcm would retire KH, and LB films.

Retire was a bad choice of words to use. 

Mabel🦋

All you did was voice an opinion.   Bravo.  That is what this forum is all about as Andrea and others said.

I don't feel "retire" was a poor choice of words because unless you have super powers no one should have taken that literally.

If anyone believed some TCM programmer,  Ben,  etc... would read your post and  push  an official order;   remove their films!!!,,,,  they need therapy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 10/31/2021 at 12:52 PM, speedracer5 said:

That scene always makes me laugh too.  I looked up the $126 in an inflation calculator and it was $993 worth of groceries.  Just how much money do Lucy and Hank pull in anyway? 

I always laugh at the scene where the bedroom and bathroom assignments are being doled out.  In my house, I'd be 1, Red, A. 

I think my favorite part though is the scene where Lucy meets Hank's 10 kids.  From the scene with Veronica in the window with jam covered hands, declaring that Lucy has "mean eyes," to the older boys fixing Lucy up a "screwdriver" made of vodka, gin, scotch and a splash of orange juice, to Lucy dumping milk and potatoes in Veronica's lap, to her drunken breakdown where she vacillates between cackling and sobbing... it is a very funny part of the movie.  I also love the plight of poor Phillip who can't even get breakfast and has to invent the oatmeal sandwich.  

That scene in that crowded bar with the Irish coffee and the two girls amused with Fonda(especially when he comes up from the floor holding Lucy's slip) is kinda fun too.  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Like 1