Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Emmys of the Past: What should have Won?

We've had a lot of talk about what should have won Oscars in the past, but how about we give the Emmys for TV a try for once? We'll start today with Best Comedy series. I am including a link with all the nominations over the years to one particular Emmy category per day, starting with Best Comedy Series.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primetime_Emmy_Award_for_Outstanding_Comedy_Series

Pick or comment on what you think should have won in the category......

SEINFELD should certainly have won for best series more than once.

92 lost to MURPHY BROWN

93 WINNER

94 lost to FRASIER

95 lost to FRASIER

96 lost to FRASIER

97 lost to FRASIER

98 lost to FRASIER

also worth noting that CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM has never won for best comedy series.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, UMO1982 said:

94 lost to FRASIER

95 lost to FRASIER

96 lost to FRASIER

97 lost to FRASIER

98 lost to FRASIER

also worth noting that CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM has never won for best comedy series.

BOOM, YOU NAIL MY ISSUE WITH THE EMMYS.

To make more of a blanket statement than cite a specific case, THE EMMYS have an irritating tendency to "play favorites," having perennial winners year after year after year...

i know one year when FRASIER won, one of the producers commented on stage that he overheard someone in the audience say 'again?' when they won.

it also got me how some of their perennial favorites (DORIS ROBERTS, HELEN HUNT and PATRICIA HEATON come to mind) were, in my opinion, the least deserving of the nominees in every year they won.

**TO BE FAIR, it's been years since I've seen FRASIER, but I recall it being really good.

6 hours ago, UMO1982 said:

SEINFELD should certainly have won for best series more than once.

92 lost to MURPHY BROWN

93 WINNER

94 lost to FRASIER

95 lost to FRASIER

96 lost to FRASIER

97 lost to FRASIER

98 lost to FRASIER

"Shoulda" discussions are uneven with such a subjective category as comedy.  For my money, SEINFELD should have had a special category created for it.  Like "TV Comedy with the most pretentious hype" award.

Never thought FRASIER, WILL AND GRACE  or BIG BANG THEORY were all that funny either.  But many people thought all three were great.  

Sepiatone

I completely agree with Sepiatone about how individual comedy is, and how what amuses one persons does not amuse another. While we're unloading on comedy shows: Had there been an award for Smugness, SEINFELD would have been a frequent winner, just as the Creepiest Dude Ever To Star in a Romantic Comedy award would have been retired by Paul Reiser of MAD ABOUT YOU. Loudest Comedy would have gone to ALL IN THE FAMILY, which would also have won a special award for introducing various ethnic slurs to Southern viewers, who were previously only familiar with racial slurs.

WILL AND GRACE was often funny for maybe ten minutes, but never for a whole show. Supposedly about friendship between a gay man and a straight woman, WILL AND GRACE actually showed a neurotic co-dependent relationship which prevented either person from forming a mature relationship with anyone else. And Debra Messing was just annoying, even beyond the fact that Grace was an annoying character.

Especially in the earlier seasons, DESIGNING WOMEN could be funny for entire shows. GOLDEN GIRLS was basically the same show over and over: one of the women meets a man, but there wasn't enough money in the budget for him to be a regular (unlike DESIGNING WOMEN), so one of the other women discovers something bad about the man and the other women worry about how to tell her, etc. Because of this pattern, GOLDEN GIRLS seemed very anti-male, again unlike DESIGNING WOMEN.

The first two seasons of SUPERSTORE were hilarious, about as good as TV comedy gets, but it tended to go downhill after that. I have also been known to laugh myself silly about SCRUBS.

My guess is that many of the "again?" Emmy awards are based on who's who rather than the merit of the show.  Just like high school, there are little cliques of off-camera folks who are "in" and win all the awards.  You might win a grudging nomination, but you ain't gonna win.

I assume the repetitive favoritism continues but I don't follow most of these awards any more....

18 minutes ago, UMO1982 said:

My guess is that many of the "again?" Emmy awards are based on who's who rather than the merit of the show.  Just like high school, there are little cliques of off-camera folks who are "in" and win all the awards.  You might win a grudging nomination, but you ain't gonna win.

I assume the repetitive favoritism continues but I don't follow most of these awards any more....

One of the odd things about the Emmys is that, at least as far as the rules go, performers on sitcoms and dramas submit one single episode out of the many produced that season to be their Emmy contender.

So, you don’t win an Emmy for your whole character arc that season or all the episodes in which you appear, you just win it for one hour or half hour performance.

(In theory at least.)

34 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

One of the odd things about the Emmys is that, at least as far as the rules go, performers on sitcoms and dramas submit one single episode out of the many produced that season to be their Emmy contender.

So, you don’t win an Emmy for your whole character arc that season or all the episodes in which you appear, you just win it for one hour or half hour performance.

(In theory at least.)

Yes I think that's true.  I guess that's so the voters don't have to watch whole shows or seasons....

Even in the Guest Actor category, SEINFELD was hysterically underrated. Only six actors ever got nominated and none of them won:

Lloyd Bridges as Izzy

Jerry Stiller as Frank

Larry Thomas as the Soup Nazi

Marlee Matlin as the tennis linesman

Judge Reinhold as the close talker

Bill Erwin as the Old Man

Other notable characters like Philip Baker Hall as the library cop, Elmarie Wendel as the Three Stooges actress, Megan Cole as the germophobe, Charles Levin as the mohel, Mark Metcalf as the Maestro, etc never got recognized.

And while Jerry Seinfeld and Jason Alexander never won, Wayne Knight as Newman never even got a nomination (let alone Estelle Harris, Liz Sheridan, or Barney Martin).

Best drama series is up next.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primetime_Emmy_Award_for_Outstanding_Drama_Series

I think for me, the biggest issue is in the 80s and early 90s (through 1993). 

In the 80s and early 90s, the winners were, in order of years: Lou Grant, Hill Street Blues (4 years in a row), Cagney and Lacey (2 years in a row), LA Law, thirtysomething, and then LA Law again 3 more times in through 1991, followed by Northern Exposure, and then the first of the Picket Fences wins. I haven't seen Picket Fences, and the other shows are all top quality, but I would have done it like this from the official nominations.

Starting from 1980 and going through 1993: Lou Grant, Hill Street Blues, Dynasty, St. Elsewhere (twice in a row), Murder She Wrote, Moonlighting, LA Law, thirtysomething, China Beach (3 in a row), I'll Fly Away, Homefront.

• Like 3
12 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

Best drama series is up next.

Murder She Wrote,

ANGELA LANSBURY of course lost the BEST ACTRESS IN A DRAMA EMMY 13 TIMES, I remember watching the last year she was nominated and hoping for her, but no...

although...

i kinda understand it though as, for some reason, they never really gave her a STRONG SUBMISSION EPISODE where she got to show ANY kind of RANGE (not counting her BRITISH COUSIN episodes because those are kinda eh)

So, I get it.

of course, to this day MURDER SHE WROTE reruns on multiple outlets and still stirs discussion and fandom,

CAGNEY AND LACEY notsomuch....

10 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

ANGELA LANSBURY of course lost the BEST ACTRESS IN A DRAMA EMMY 13 TIMES, I remember watching the last year she was nominated and hoping for her, but no...

although...

i kinda understand it though as, for some reason, they never really gave her a STRONG SUBMISSION EPISODE where she got to show ANY kind of RANGE (not counting her BRITISH COUSIN episodes because those are kinda eh)

So, I get it.

of course, to this day MURDER SHE WROTE reruns on multiple outlets and still stirs discussion and fandom,

CAGNEY AND LACEY notsomuch....

She should have one at least once though. 

BnEK5AT.png

5HdluWR.png

fW7WpNG.png

So, looking at these lineups, personally would have done this.... Angela Lansbury, Cybill Shepherd, Jill Eikenberry, Lansbury again, Dana Delany (4 times in a row, I admit I love China Beach),  Swoosie Kurtz, Sela Ward, Claire Danes, Lansbury for the third time.

Strangest things here are the guest star nominations in 1992, and the Piper Laurie nomination in 1990. Laurie was very good on Twin Peaks, but it was always a supporting, never a leading role.